the latest stuff

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
As of 0630 tomorrow, Friday.:
Travelers can NOT bring onto any aircraft headed to the US any liquids, gels or similar as previously stated. Those traveling to other locations, including Canada, Europe, CAN purchase Duty Free of any kind, including alcohol, perfumes, gels, etc. and take home.
Any liquids, gels or similar purchased or brought to any of the airports of the DR (and other global locations) cannot bring in (from outside the airport sterile area) any liquids, gels or similar. They will be confiscated before entering sterile area(s). Waste cans are available with clear signage.
In other words, liquids, gels and similar will be confiscated before you enter the sterile area so just don't bring them, including perfumes, body lotion and the like...even water. But once you are inside the sterile area, you can buy whattever you like and take home.
The Exception is those traveling to the USA. NO liquids or the other are allowed. US gov't law/rule/decree.
Confused? Take it in stride. Read carefully.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As of 0630 tomorrow, Friday.:
Travelers can NOT bring onto any aircraft headed to the US any liquids, gels or similar as previously stated. Those traveling to other locations, including Canada, Europe, CAN purchase Duty Free of any kind, including alcohol, perfumes, gels, etc. and take home.
Any liquids, gels or similar purchased or brought to any of the airports of the DR (and other global locations) cannot bring in (from outside the airport sterile area) any liquids, gels or similar. They will be confiscated before entering sterile area(s). Waste cans are available with clear signage.
In other words, liquids, gels and similar will be confiscated before you enter the sterile area so just don't bring them, including perfumes, body lotion and the like...even water. But once you are inside the sterile area, you can buy whattever you like and take home.
The Exception is those traveling to the USA. NO liquids or the other are allowed. US gov't law/rule/decree.
Confused? Take it in stride. Read carefully.
I knew they would find a solution for the duty free shops to be able to sell thier products. dethey will still be hurting, if their American clients cannot purchase liquids, but that may be temporary.
Thanks for advising us.

CommTHOR

Nov 7, 2005
I never could figure out US rules.

Example:
Cigarette lighters are banned from flights into the US, although on Canadian originating flights, ones overflying the US aren't if they don't make any stops. According to flightaware.com, on my last trip from the Dominican Republic, our plane travelled within 100KM of Washington D.C.

As duty free items are already in the "sterile zone" of an airport, I cannot understand why they are excluded.

I want a safe flight and all, but the next thing you know, everyone will need their luggage shipped seperately by boat, and board the plane naked. It seems terrorists don't have to even do anything - the threat of something is all they need to disrupt things so much that they are causing millions upon millions of dollars in inconveniences.

texasgal

Jul 17, 2006
My brother and his wife just flew from Austin, TX to Las Vegas on Thursday and they were allowed to put all the liquids into their checked baggage. They will be prepared when they fly back home next week.
But, I saw on the news that in the larger, more crowded airports- like here in Houston - it wasn't really possible to do that. They had people throwing away cosmetics, toiletries, etc. That made no sense. They should have gathered it all up and given the unopened containers to the homeless and battered women shelters here in town. We are such a wasteful society.
Also, to be honest- I wouldn't mind the wait and the inconveniences if it meant that I was even remotely a bit more safe while flying. I remember after 9/11 I didn't fly for over a year and I was still a little apprehensive even then.

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
Also, to be honest- I wouldn't mind the wait and the inconveniences if it meant that I was even remotely a bit more safe while flying. I remember after 9/11 I didn't fly for over a year and I was still a little apprehensive even then

This is what I dont understand ive seen many people interviewed in airport compaining, these measures have been introduced because there was a plot to blow up aircraft. Its being done for everyones safety. I understand its frustrating but surely its better than the possible alternatives?

nic

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Some people tend to forget that when they are getting onto a plane, it is often for the purpose of vacation...yet they are so selfish and thoughtless that they dont appear to care if they get there (safely or not at all!!!). If this is their idea of suffering and hardship, get a life. If this is what it takes to kepp our skies safe, c'est la vie!

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Lipstick

Now here is a major leap for the US gov't.
As of this morning solid lipstick is allowed on
US bound flights.

gardito

Jan 15, 2004
I saw an old lady dumping her cosmetics at the airport. I'm sure she qualified as a 80-year-old-woman-from-Allentown-Pa-flying-for-the-first-time-in-my-life-going-to-see-the-grandkids-bla-bla-bla-terrorist. An israeli airline security (the best in the world-you don't see this happening in El-Al) expert on CNN said that you have to focus on the people, not what they're carrying.

E.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
(the best in the world-you don't see this happening in El-Al) expert on CNN said that you have to focus on the people, not what they're carrying.

E.

That's called "Profiling" a big NO-NO in the Land of the Free, even though it may be very effective, but civil liberty unions will scream "bloody murder" if you start targeting Indians and Arabs. The NYC subway has random searches of back-packs and bags, so to keep it "P.C." they'll pick Mrs. Rosenberg from Williamsburgh for a nice search thru. Definitely in effective, but Politically Correct.

Caren M.

Jan 27, 2006
My son left from Punta Cana airport today and arrived 90 min. before departure and was able to make his flight with no problem. He did say however that EVERY carry on was searched. Elecric razors were turned on and examined as were laptops. He was prepared and carried no liquids, etc. but we travel frequently and only use carry on so I guess when my husband and I come home next week we will have to check our bags because they will contain all of the stuff my son had to leave here!

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
el Al Security

El Al security is considered 'the best' and with
a record to back it up. They profile like crazy, as
should the TSA, et al. But being p.c. often overrides
common sense, unfortunately.
I suspect strongly that the liguids and gel thing will
prevail for some time with some modifications.
Some days it's shoes, some days it's liquids.
Terrorists are just happy we're on the run.
But read the blogs on the anti-Blair, anti-Bush
b.s. and find your happy medium.
Meantime, pack light, no liquids, no gels/creams and have
patience at airports worldwide....it ain't gonna get
any easier anytime soon.
But no fear, the airports are safe. IMHO

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
After checking a bag on my first dozen or so vacations to the DR, a few months ago I made arrangements with a friend in Puerto Plata to leave a suitcase full of clothes with him so I could travel without one the last 2 trips. It was nice. Now I guess I'll need to check a bag when I go again in Sept. Maybe I'll pack a supply of all my personal care items so I'll have that down there too, although that doesn't help if you get stuck in a strange airport somewhere without that stuff.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
tflea: El Al even ask passengers where they were born, with whom they had a contact today etc, it is crazy!!!

Not crazy at all. It's not what you answer, but how you answer. EL AL security persons probably are world's best at evaluating a person's demeanor.