Cash, Travellers cheques, credit cards...Please help???

Status
Not open for further replies.

poisondwarf

Aug 14, 2006
Hi all,

First post, so please bear with me.

I shall shortly be coming to the DR on honeymoon and we will be staying all inclusive at the Iberostar Costa Dorada in the north of the Island.

When I travel abroad, I normally carry very little cash initially and use my credit card to pay for trips and the odd meal out. I also use my credit card to withdraw cash as and when I need it. (I am aware of the charges involved)

Are credit cards (Visa) readily accepted in the DR to pay for trips and the odd meal out?

I believe that I have to advise my credit card provider that I am visiting the DR because if I don't they may block it's use the first time that I try to use it. Is this true?

Are ATM s available in my hotel in order that I can withdraw cash?
If ATM s are not available in my hotel, then are they readily available outside of my hotel in the nearest town?

Would it be easier for me to bring an amount of cash in US dollars?

Would it be easier for me to bring USD travellers cheques?
If I do bring travellers cheques, where would I get the best rate of exchange and not get ripped off?

Would it be easier for me to bring a mixture of cash (dollars) and USD travellers cheques?

I look forward to your thoughts and comments.

Cheers

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
A lot of restaurants take credit cards. You can also use your ATM or credit card to get cash but you should alert them before the trip or your card might not work. Honestly I would bring 1 credit card and some cash. If your in an all inclusive you wont need any money but outside cash is always best. Be aware of the exchange rate not to get ripped off also. Dont bother with travelers checks there a hassle.

Always remember "cash is king"

Cash or credit

"Are credit cards (Visa) readily accepted in the DR to pay for trips and the odd meal out?" YES

Would it be easier for me to bring an amount of cash in US dollars? YES

Would it be easier for me to bring USD travellers cheques? YES if you have a passport

Credit Card fraud is a growing business in the Caribbean, be careful.

Read this information sheet on money in the DR.
http://dr1.com/travel/expect/money.shtml

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Let your credit card company know that you are traveling to the DR, or they will turn it off after the first use. I have had mine turned off even after letting them know. So I would bring two cards if you plan on using them just in case.

Bob K

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
I took US$$ on my trip and had my card incase of emergencies. There are many places to change money 2 or 3 on almost every street! Just check the exchange rate first, I didnt have any problems. Dont change it in the hotel you'll get a bad rate and just change it as and when you need it.
Enjoy your trip.

nic

alfou

Aug 15, 2006
Since I'm gonna be in Sosua in next december for 5 months, I intended to use my DEBIT card...Is it possible in the ATM....

Thanks

Alain

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
Since I'm gonna be in Sosua in next december for 5 months, I intended to use my DEBIT card...Is it possible in the ATM....

Thanks

Alain

I think it depends on what kind of debit card I took my visa electron card out just incase and that worked. You need to inform your bank and check with them what the charges are.

nic

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002

Thanks

Alain

Yes, no problem. (I guess it's either a Visa or Mastercard)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I agree, well worth the "hassle" to use Traveler's cheque's. I always keep a few hundred for an emergency and have no problem cashing them @ Vimenca for the same rate as cash. Make a nice color copy of your passport so you do not carry the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.