Hotels in Sosua under $60/night

Status
Not open for further replies.

firsttimer

Aug 14, 2006
Can anyone recommend affordable hotels in sosua for under $60 a night. I'm traveling around the end of August and not looking for AI deals. Just something relatively clean and dependable.
I've been seeing hotels like tropix, rocky's, voramar, casa cayena etc.
Which of these or what else would anyone recommend.

Thanks

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
Can anyone recommend affordable hotels in sosua for under $60 a night. I'm traveling around the end of August and not looking for AI deals. Just something relatively clean and dependable.
I've been seeing hotels like tropix, rocky's, voramar, casa cayena etc.
Which of these or what else would anyone recommend.

Thanks

Welcome to DR1, ive been looking at staying at Rocky's for my next visit, its in a central location they do airport pickups and Marco (rocky) is a knowledgable guy! Find a post from Rocky and pm him.

nic

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Many of the hotels in Sosua are under $60US. What amenities do you need in a hotel (Air-conditioning, pool, on/near the beach, visitor friendly, etc).

BTW, Welcome to DR1.

firsttimer

Aug 14, 2006
Somewhere close to the happening places in town. Nowhere too quiet or too remote. Clean, A/C is preferable, visitor-friendly and close to the beach or maybe less than 5 minutes walk to the beach. Pool is optional.
Is this asking too much?

Last edited:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Somewhere close to the happening places in town. Nowhere too quiet or too remote. Clean, A/C is preferable, visitor-friendly and close to the beach or maybe less than 5 minutes walk to the beach. Pool is optional.
Is this asking too much?
No you are not asking for too much. You have lots of choices.

If A/C is not necessary then try Rocky's, way under $60US ($22US if the price on the site is current) and near everything. Marco, the owner, also has some condos (with A/C) to rent.

If you want a Hotel with A/C, try the New Garden Hotel, it's about $40US including taxes. Another is Hotel Europa, about $40US. There are many other choices, I'm sure others will chime in.

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
No its not asking to much at all. I would drop Rocky a line and if he hasnt got what your looking for he'll be able to point you in the right direction.

nic

El_Canuck

Mar 5, 2006
I see some good deals at Casa Marina Beach ... I've never been to DR yet and I would really rather stay at a visitor friendly place like Rocky's, just in case:) than an all inclusive. But the price for the Casa Marina is the same as flight only. Maybe I'll book it and spend all my time out of the resort. Any suggestions?

firsttimer

Aug 14, 2006
Any comments on Hotel Voramar? Has anyone stayed there? How far is it from Rocky's. Appreciate all comments

thanks

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Any comments on Hotel Voramar? Has anyone stayed there? How far is it from Rocky's. Appreciate all comments

thanks
5 minutes on a concho or taxi, 25 walking.
German run, pool, A/C, bit out of the way, not too American friendly, fairly quiet, decent rooms.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Fair enough, though I know some Americans who greatly enjoyed staying there. Different strokes, I guess. Still, a bit too far from the center for me.

What about Hotel New Garden and Casa Valeria? Are they American friendly?
Is there any great difference between them that might lead me to choose one over the other?

CommTHOR

Nov 7, 2005
One thing I was wondering about was what sort of advance reservations are required for the various hotels? Is there usually space available that allow "walk-ups," or do they need booking in advance?

I'm personally thinking Rocky's for my own reasons, but it's somewhat important for other hotels when various people are considering their options.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Fair enough, though I know some Americans who greatly enjoyed staying there. Different strokes, I guess. Still, a bit too far from the center for me.

What about Hotel New Garden and Casa Valeria? Are they American friendly?
Is there any great difference between them that might lead me to choose one over the other?
Both great.
Casa Valeria is homier and cheaper, New Garden has AC and internet.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
One thing I was wondering about was what sort of advance reservations are required for the various hotels? Is there usually space available that allow "walk-ups," or do they need booking in advance?

I'm personally thinking Rocky's for my own reasons, but it's somewhat important for other hotels when various people are considering their options.
It depends on the time of the year and how popular the hotel is.
Chrismas and New Years, as well as Easter week, require advance bookings.

Last edited:

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
Where is the New Garden Hotel in Sosua and what do they charge a night with AC say from May to Oct. thank you.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Not exactly what I meant.
Most of this info comes from another message board, where several English speaking clients were made to feel culturally uncomfortable.

Voramar is run by a Dutch guy named Henk, probably the one of the nicest guys you will ever meet in Sosua. He has been nothing but friendly and helpful to any of my American friends that have stayed there. So don't believe everything you read on "other message boards!"

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
New Garden Hotel, formerly Garden Keti before Keti got divorced. 809-571-1557.

Prices do start at $40 US for room with AC. Nice place, good food also.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Voramar is run by a Dutch guy named Henk, probably the one of the nicest guys you will ever meet in Sosua. He has been nothing but friendly and helpful to any of my American friends that have stayed there. So don't believe everything you read on "other message boards!"
Again, not quite.
Henk is Dutch and a wonderful guy, one of the nicest guys in town.
He does not RUN the hotel.
He works there.
If you want to contact me by email I will send you copies of people's opinions, good and bad, that came form a thread discussing Voramar.
I don't feel it's right to put it here on the mainboard.
Furthermore, as a hotel owner myself, I always feel like I'm in an akward position, answering hotel questions.
That is in part why I chose my words carefully and gave a very soft report.

Status
Not open for further replies.