First Time out of Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

coronaqueen

Aug 16, 2006
Hola, My Husband and I are finally going on our Honeymoon, it will also be our 2nd Anniversary, we are going to Holiday Village Golden Beach Feb 28/07-Mar 14/07. This is the first time either of us have been out of Canada, and would appreciate any advise on tours, the people, best places to go, neither one of us want to limit our vacation to staying on the resort. Also I have not been able to find any info on this resort, except that it may be the old Jack Tar, so if anyone can send us in the right direction so that we may have a memorable vacation, it would really be appreciated.

ps. I am in the process of trying to learn Spanish, have a few months yet

Gracias
Terry & Al

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
This resort is the old Jack Tar. It is currently closed and undergoing renovations and is scheduled to open sometime in November, I believe. The most info you can find is probably on the Signature Vacations website www.signature.ca as they are the Tour Operator offering this property from Canada. The Holiday village concept is new to Canada but has been used with success by First Choice, (Signature's parent company, elsewhere).

This resort is in a tourist complex with 14 other resorts - to see the real DR please do leave the enclave.

Good luck and welcome to DR1.

Gregg

coronaqueen

Aug 16, 2006
Thanks Gregg

Thank-you for the welcome, have found so far that this is a very informative site for DR, yes and most of the info i have found is on Signatures website

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
Welcome to you both. There are many things to do on the North Coast remember you dont have to book your excursions through your tour rep you'll get a better deal in the local agencies. I loved Ocean World its definatly worth a visit. If your interested in getting out and about Sosua and Cabarete are only a short distance away. The snorkelling and diving on the North coast are also very good.

nic

coronaqueen

Aug 16, 2006
Thanks Nic

Have been learning that it is best to go outside of the resort to book our excursions, snorkling and diving is a must, as well we would like to do the jeep tour and Ocean world. Thank-you so much for your reply, hopefully i will get more info on best places to purchase these excursions from. Again I am finding this forum very informative.

Thank-You for the Welcome

Terry & Al

coronaqueen

Aug 16, 2006
Not scary, Honest

Thanks Anna,
Still hoping i can find all the info I will require, before we leave, I would definately like to have a good knowledge of where I am going. I am very excited about going there, have heard so many good things.

Terry & Al

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Terry and Al,

Please allow me to also welcome both of you to DR1. I have no doubt that by the time you depart Canada for our beautiful island that you will have more then enough information as to what to do, what to see and where to go. Just continue to ask your questions everytime one comes up. We have a very large number of members that can and are very willing to answer all your questions for you. Enjoy.

Rick

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Welcome T & A.:cheeky:

The best place to change US$ in the Playa Dorada complex is at the Western Union in the plaza.
They are significantly better than the other cambios in the plaza but for some reason they don't even put out a sign so a lot of people never know.

I wonder if the Jack Tar staff will be back at the refurbished resort?

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
Have been learning that it is best to go outside of the resort to book our excursions, snorkling and diving is a must, as well we would like to do the jeep tour and Ocean world. Thank-you so much for your reply, hopefully i will get more info on best places to purchase these excursions from. Again I am finding this forum very informative.

Thank-You for the Welcome

Terry & Al

No problem at all. Ocean world is fantastic and everyone who has seen my pics are green with envy! I stay in Sosua so I only know of places there to book your excursions im sure someone on here will know of somewhere nearer to your hotel. I also know of a very good dive center proffesional with great staff but again its in Sosua. If you do think of anything else just ask.

nic

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
welcome to DR1...feb/mar time is great for the DR...the weather is a little cool (80's) and sometimes a little chilly (by DR standards) at night. i love that time of year because i hate the heat/humidity. for info on sosua check out the newspaper www.sosuanews.com

coronaqueen

Aug 16, 2006
Nic - we will definately be going to Sosua, I have heard that is really great beach, I have been on the net checking out all the local places within our hotel, and Sosua is one of the places ihave read about that is a must to visit.

Kyle - thanks for the welcome, the Sosua News Links is very informative Thanks.

Malibrook - Thanks as well for the Welcome, I was wondering where would be a good place to exchange us dollars, thanks for the advice. I am curious at to what the resort is going to be like after the reno's, I have read alot on Jack Tar, some good, some bad.

Bill - Thanks for the welcome, the Tour website is awesome, very much appreciated.

Rick - Thanks for the Welcome as well, I am overwhelmed at the response i have gotten, and I am sure with all this advise I will be prepared and have a wonderful Holiday

Thanks everyone
Terry & Al

coronaqueen

Aug 16, 2006
When it comes to tipping, I have no idea what is a good tip, was also reading something about, that it is good to bring things like school stuff for the children (ei: pencil crayons, notebooks, etc.) any advice for this

Status
Not open for further replies.