Illegal Immigration Question

LatinGuyNY

I love Dominicans!
Aug 12, 2006
I am not Dominican but I wanted to know the opinion of Dominicans concerning illegal immigration. Do you think it harms those Dominicans that come to US legally?

These are a few quotes from a comic I saw on television and I laughed because he was right. He said ?what they didn?t notice when there were 3 million illegal Mexicans? All of sudden we are being invaded at 11 million??, ?we are planning on building a wall? We can?t even build levees?. ?Who?s going to build the wall, Mexicans??

Fuel

Jun 29, 2006
I am not Dominican but I wanted to know the opinion of Dominicans concerning illegal immigration. Do you think it harms those Dominicans that come to US legally?

These are a few quotes from a comic I saw on television and I laughed because he was right. He said ?what they didn?t notice when there were 3 million illegal Mexicans? All of sudden we are being invaded at 11 million??, ?we are planning on building a wall? We can?t even build levees?. ?Who?s going to build the wall, Mexicans??

I think by now we all know you are not Dominican. What do you mean by harm? If they are in the US legally and don't see the harm. Or maybe i just misunderstood you.

LatinGuyNY

I love Dominicans!
Aug 12, 2006
Well for those that don't know I am not Dominican. What I meant was about those Dominicans that go through the process of getting the legal papers to stay and work in the US and then have illegal Dominicans give the legal people a stigma of having others call them illegal when they are not. Or Dominican Americans, those what were born in the US. I don't know if this a good question, maybe it's not. I was just curious.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
Well for those that don't know I am not Dominican. What I meant was about those Dominicans that go through the process of getting the legal papers to stay and work in the US and then have illegal Dominicans give the legal people a stigma of having others call them illegal when they are not. I don't know if this a good question, maybe it's not. I was just curious.

maybe i'm sheltered, but i don't ever hear about illegal dominican immigration. i'm sure it's out there, just don't think it's as common as mexican illegal immigration

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Know a lot

Well for those that don't know I am not Dominican. What I meant was about those Dominicans that go through the process of getting the legal papers to stay and work in the US and then have illegal Dominicans give the legal people a stigma of having others call them illegal when they are not. I don't know if this a good question, maybe it's not. I was just curious.

of Dominicans here in NYC and never have come across this "stigma". Perhaps you are trying to parse your words and I am just not getting your point.
Or perhaps.....?
JOHN

LatinGuyNY

I love Dominicans!
Aug 12, 2006
of Dominicans here in NYC and never have come across this "stigma". Perhaps you are trying to parse your words and I am just not getting your point.
Or perhaps.....?
JOHN

No I am not trying to brake up the question, the question is very clear. I am here to learn about Dominicans, in hopes I can understand better.

So Dominicans aren't stigmatized like the Mexicans are, that?s interesting. From what I have read on this forum is that Dominicans have communities practically all over the world. Why is that? A few years back there was a problem in Spain where the Spanish were upset that there were so many Dominicans there, it seem to me that it was a racial issue.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Just go out into the streets of...

New York, LatinGuyNY, if you want to learn about Dominicans. You are more likely to learn what and who Dominicans are if you meet them in the flesh(no pun here)instead of a public forum. I've also heard little about Dominican illegal immigration with the exception of the Mona passage attempts to get to PR.

Sep 19, 2005
maybe i'm sheltered, but i don't ever hear about illegal dominican immigration. i'm sure it's out there, just don't think it's as common as mexican illegal immigration

Just YESTERDAY my girlfriend told me about one of her friends telling her he has paid his way on the next boat to america. His bother went last year and is now in NYC. The guy who "runs" the boat, does 3 or 4 trips a year. he has been doing it for several years the friend says and has never had trouble. My Gf told me, that she told him she was affraid for him because she is affraid of boats in deep water. I told her.. The boat doesnt go to america it goes to Puerto Rico, and it goes through some of the most dangerous water in the carribean. The fee is 50,000 pesos I think. I dont have any idea how they get from PR to the mainland. Who can say they have never heard of illegal dominican immigration? One guy 3 or 4 trips a year..might make it more common than some think.

not taking sides either way, just offering some info that didnt seem to have been offered, that I had.

bob

Fuel

Jun 29, 2006
Just YESTERDAY my girlfriend told me about one of her friends telling her he has paid his way on the next boat to america. His bother went last year and is now in NYC. The guy who "runs" the boat, does 3 or 4 trips a year. he has been doing it for several years the friend says and has never had trouble. My Gf told me, that she told him she was affraid for him because she is affraid of boats in deep water. I told her.. The boat doesnt go to america it goes to Puerto Rico, and it goes through some of the most dangerous water in the carribean. The fee is 50,000 pesos I think. I dont have any idea how they get from PR to the mainland. Who can say they have never heard of illegal dominican immigration? One guy 3 or 4 trips a year..might make it more common than some think.

not taking sides either way, just offering some info that didnt seem to have been offered, that I had.

bob

We all know about the Illegal immigration into PR and then on to Miami. But i think th OP is trying to find out if Dominican illegals are as prevelant as Mexicans illegals

Sep 19, 2005
We all know about the Illegal immigration into PR and then on to Miami. But i think th OP is trying to find out if Dominican illegals are as prevelant as Mexicans illegals

well anyway, he didnt ask about prevalancy...he asked about stigmas.

I wonder how anyone could think any country could have the prevalance of illegal immigrants into america as mexico does....especially a country seperated by an ocean or sea.

May 31, 2005
Somebody that I know got a visa out of the DR making believe that he was in a band. He only got a visa for 1 month but he stayed. It sucks because the guy was making really good money in the DR. He came to the US after an ex-girlfriend that is not even into him anymore. May God help him.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006

bob

i didn't say dominican immigration does not exist, i said i NEVER HEAR about it. it's never in the news, never in the paper, no one goes around calling dominicans illegals and i don't know any dominicans that are here illegaly (yes i have a lot of dominican friends here in miami).

May 31, 2005
The thing is that illegal Dominicans do as much as they can to get their papers fast while some Mexicans have been illegal for years and never get their papers.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
well anyway, he didnt ask about prevalancy...he asked about stigmas.

I wonder how anyone could think any country could have the prevalance of illegal immigrants into america as mexico does....especially a country seperated by an ocean or sea.

don't use the distance of Dominican Republic as a barometer to measure the prevalance of illegal immigration. Mexicans are mostly in the mid west and west coast. The east coast especially south Florida have MILLIONs of immigrants from all over the world including huge concentrations of Nicaraguans (further than DR ya know), Venezuelans, Argentines, Paraguayans, Haitians, and Lets not forget the millions of Cubans we host down here that would certainly knock out the amount of mexicans, except the cubans are not here illegaly.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
The thing is that illegal Dominicans do as much as they can to get their papers fast while some Mexicans have been illegal for years and never get their papers.

i agree, dominican prioritize their papers. the majority of them are very smart about the process. for the most part they obtain their doc's before even getting to the US. they marry or get engaged to american/canadian/europeans and they obtain citizenship that way. therefore they don't come into the country illegaly - thanks to the huge tourist industry in dom rep. in addition, it appears that dom rep has the largest amount of pending visa applications to the united states and canada for marriage and fiance visas. these dominicans will all come into the united states and canada legally.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
From what I have read on this forum is that Dominicans have communities practically all over the world. Why is that?

just like any other immigrant community they tend to stick together, just like the ITALIAN, IRISH, RUSSIAN, INDIAN, CUBAN, NICARAGUAN, HATIANS, ect...

dominicans are also spread out in communities all over the united states and the world b/c the majority of them (as i mentioned before) come the states petitioned by a spouse or fiance they met while on vacation which could be living in washington state, wisconsin, nebraska, michigan, louisiana, ect...

back in the day dominicans were only found in miami and new york, now they are everwhere you can think of all over the globe.

Sep 19, 2005
don't use the distance of Dominican Republic as a barometer to measure the prevalance of illegal immigration. Mexicans are mostly in the mid west and west coast. The east coast especially south Florida have MILLIONs of immigrants from all over the world including huge concentrations of Nicaraguans (further than DR ya know), Venezuelans, Argentines, Paraguayans, Haitians, and Lets not forget the millions of Cubans we host down here that would certainly knock out the amount of mexicans, except the cubans are not here illegaly.

you are guessing.....

Illegal Immigrants
Illegals in the CPS.
It is well established that illegal aliens do respond to government surveys such as the decennial census and the Current Population Survey. While the CPS does not ask the foreign-born if they are legal residents of the United States, the Urban Institute, the former INS, the Pew Hispanic Center, and the Census Bureau have all used socio-demographic characteristics in the data to estimate the size of the illegal population.15 Our preliminary estimates for the March 2005 CPS indicate that there were between 9.6 and 9.8 million illegal aliens in the survey. It must be remembered that this estimate only includes illegal aliens captured by the March CPS, not those missed by the survey
Illegal Immigration
Illegal Population Overall. So far we have examined the size, growth, and characteristics of the nation's total foreign-born population. As discussed in the methods section of this report, the foreign-born population in the CPS includes both legal and illegal immigrants. We estimate that of the 35.2 million immigrants in the March 2005 CPS, between 9.6 and 9.8 million are illegals. This estimate is not significantly different from those of other researchers who have examined this question.37 It must also be remembered that these figures are only for those in the CPS, not those missed by the survey. Our estimates indicate that illegal aliens comprise 3.3 percent of the nation's total population and 28 percent of the total immigrant population. Estimates prepared by other researchers often adjust for undercount in Census Bureau data. While there is debate about the number missed, most research indicates that roughly 10 percent of the illegal population is not counted in the CPS. Thus, if one wants to know the "true" size of the illegal population, then 10 percent -- or about one million illegals -- should be added to our estimate of the number captured in the CPS for a total of nearly 11 million in March 2005.
One of the most important characteristics of illegal immigrants is the very large share with little formal education. We estimated that of adult illegals over age 21, 61 percent have not completed high school, 25 percent have only a high school degree, and only 14 percent have education beyond high school. As already discussed, this is critically important because education is so important to socio-economic status in the modern American economy.
Illegals by State. Below we examine the demographic characteristics of illegal aliens by state. Since the samples are much smaller than for the nation as the whole, the results should be interpreted with caution, especially for the smaller states. In addition to issues associated with sample size, the identification of illegals in the survey also contains some error. Table 20 reports our best estimates for the number of illegals by state in the CPS. (It should be noted that even if the undercount is 10 percent nationally, this may not be uniform across states.) The table shows that California has by far the largest illegal population, followed by Texas, Florida, and New York. However, with the exception of Texas, these states do not rank at the top in terms of the illegal share of the total foreign-born. In Arizona, Colorado, and North Carolina illegals account for half or nearly half of the foreign-born.

Illegal Aliens from Mexico. A significant percentage of Mexican immigrants live in the United States without authorization. While a large portion of illegals are likely missed by the CPS, perhaps 80 percent are included in this data. It is possible, based Immigration and Nationalization Service (INS) arrival data for legal immigrants and demographic characteristics, to identify persons included in the CPS who have a high probably of being in the country illegally. It is likely that of the 7.9 million foreign-born persons from Mexico in the March 2000 CPS, between 2.5 million and 3.5 million are in the country illegally. Based on year of entry, citizenship status, age, educational attainment, welfare use, and citizenship of spouse, I estimate that the size of the Mexican illegal population in the March 2000 CPS is 2.96 million.6 These results are consistent with estimates made by the INS7 and indicate that nearly 38 percent of the Mexican-born population in the CPS are in the country illegally.
Of course, it should be noted that different assumptions about the attributes of illegals will yield different results. By its very nature, estimating the size and characteristics of the illegal Mexican population in the CPS involves a good deal of uncertainty. The above estimates and those that follow from it should not be seen as quantifiable absolutes but rather should be used to provide insight into the relative differences between legal and illegal Mexican immigrants. It is also important to realize that the above figures are only for illegal Mexicans included in the CPS. The total illegal population from Mexico is almost certainly larger. Assuming that the CPS includes 80 percent of the illegal Mexicans, then the total size of the illegal Mexican population residing in the United States in 2000 was perhaps 3.7 million.
Distribution of Legal and Illegal Immigrants Across Occupations. The figures in Table 2 for legal and illegal Mexican immigrants are based on the above method of distinguishing between the two groups. The table shows that there are some differences in the kinds of occupations legal and illegal Mexican immigrants hold in the United States. Almost 18 percent of illegal Mexican immigrants are employed as agricultural laborers, in contrast to only about 10 percent of legal Mexican immigrants. The table also shows that contrary to the popular impression, more than 80 percent of illegal Mexican immigrants work outside of the agriculture sector. Most illegal immigrants work in non-private household service occupations, precision production craft occupations or as operators, fabricators, and laborers.