Best Craftsmen On The Northcoast

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005
Dear DRoners,
We had one bad experience with a woodworker ( 'famous' J.M.), so I thought it would be interesting to share our wunderfull experiences.
It is by respect for these craftsmen that I want to publish their names.
All of them worked with us and we are very very satisfied of them.This is not publicity off course. They even do not know that i publish their names.

THE BEST PAINTER :
He painted our appartment, doors, cabinets etc.......
Freddy Balbuena, dominican
1809 571 01 42
He is a man of high moral integrity, very correct and honnest and his work is state-of-the-art. He is brilliant.

THE BEST CURTAIN MAKER :
Nicol?s Venturas, dominican
"tapicentro los charamicos"
1809 281 1026
He visits you and he tells you how much yards you need. He makes your curtains. High quality work. Very correct and fast.

THE BEST FURNITURE MAKER :
DANY, Swiss
"Ebanisteria Europa
1809 915 2709
He is a young swiss and he loves wood. Quality work, correct, big choice. You just give him a picture. All styles (design, modern, rustic).

THE BEST MIMBRE & RATAN FURNITURE
Otto and Yvonne Mitteldorf, German
1809 571 2960
German quality by dominican (from santiago) craftsmen.
They made our design furniture for the terrace and furniture for the living room. They can work on picture and they have nice catalogues.
Correct. Honnest.

GRANIT :
Abastel s.a. (Erica)
Santo Domingo and Santiago.
They installed granit in our kitchen. Dust, dust. BUT he is a real maestro.
Very very good work.

THE BEST "CERAMICA LAYER"
Wilkins,
829 42 92 674
a young dominican, he takes his time, very very precise.

God bless them and those who are reading this message.

Hiram

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I know you have to be careful, but who or where is the famous JM so I can avoid him, Please. Thanks

danely

Apr 23, 2004
Thank you for your post ! Very valuable.

Danely,

I'm sorry but this forum is about the "Best" in the DR from your experiences and not for questions. Please use the PM function to contact the OP or start a new thread in the "Living" forum asking your question. Thank you.

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
Thank you for posting, it's always good to hear about positive experiences. thank you again.

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005
Downgrade

DOWNGRADE :
MIMBRE & RATAN FURNITURE
Carretera Sosua - Cabarete
km 3 prox Asoc de camioneros de Sosua

Reason why :
when i ordered big stuff for an avg of RD$70.000, punctual, no delay.

i ordered 90 days ago a small stuff (RD$2000) : delivery not respected.
I am still waiting. will be delivered next week.

On a scale of 1 - 10 : this company lossed 2 points and they are now at 6

Hiram

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005
Dany Moved

THE BEST FURNITURE MAKER :
DANY, Swiss

1809 915 2709
He is a young swiss and he loves wood. Quality work, correct, big choice. You just give him a picture. All styles (design, modern, rustic).

He moved last month from Lomas Mironas to carretera Sosua - Cabarete next to Coastal.

Hiram

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005
Electrician

NEW :

ELECTRICIAN
his name is UWE, german living in jamao.
Had a company in germany, 50 workers (he told).
Verry correct, hight quality work and not expensive.
A professional.
Tel # 809 876 49 69

Hiram

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
DOWNGRADE :
MIMBRE & RATAN FURNITURE
Carretera Sosua - Cabarete
km 3 prox Asoc de camioneros de Sosua

Reason why :
when i ordered big stuff for an avg of RD$70.000, punctual, no delay.

i ordered 90 days ago a small stuff (RD$2000) : delivery not respected.
I am still waiting. will be delivered next week.

On a scale of 1 - 10 : this company lossed 2 points and they are now at 6

Hiram

You gotta love the Dominican Way of doing business. When you pay TOO MUCH!!!!!! they deliver right away.. Congrats.. M.

lejeune

Jul 15, 2008
info craftsmen in cabarete/sosua

Hi,

We are a French couple living and building in Cabrera, we saw your very interesting list of the best craftsmen in the North coast

It's in fact really very difficult to find good and refined firms in the Dominican Republic,

We try to join the painter, Freddy Balbuena, and the ceramist layer, Wilkins, at the number indicated on your listing
Are the numbers still available? or are there other phone numbers to join them or their addresses?

Thank you for your cooperation
See you
V?ronique and Guy Lejeune
g.lejeune.caraibes@gmail.com

elton

My thread snapped!
Jul 1, 2008
The thread is quite old- I think people are afraid to recommend anyone in case they are held accountable if the job isnt done properly or they are accused of advertising someones services which is a shame because no one ever gets to here about the good tradesmen

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
For ceramic on the north coast, I believe my husband does a good job at a fair price. His name is Fray Martinez and his telephone number is 809 849 0457. He is a one man show but has reliable contacts in several different trades if you need other jobs doing. He has recently qualified as a Master of Construction and is able to take on small projects. If he doesn't know how to do something, he will say so, which I find quite refreshing here....

He speaks some English but I would be happy to help in negotiations if Spanish is difficult for you. My number is 809 907 0349 or PM me.

OK, I may be biased but I wouldn't recommend him if I thought I was going to get a lot of flack as a result!

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Iron Work

Another person I can recommend for the quality of their work is Luis Peralta who is based in Cabarete. He can do standard security bars etc., but also some very decorative work in iron if anyone is looking for either. Basically, if it's made in iron, he can do it.

His telephone numbers are 809 775 9474 or 829 747 4576. I haven't used him myself but I have seen his work and it is good. He doesn't speak English but has associates who do. If you want to enquire but don't have anyone who can call him in Spanish, I'll be happy to help put you in touch in the first instance. My number is 809 907 0349.

Linda Stapleton.

Reactions: AlaninDR

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Ceramics, Construction and Ironwork

The last two, Fray Martinez and Luis Peralta are both in Cabarete but are willing to go a reasonable distance from their base.

Linda.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Good Carpenter Available for Work

This is an old thread, but still useful.

If anyone needs a good carpenter for kitchen cabinets, built in furniture, windows and doors etc., basically anything in wood, then please contact Alexis Cespedes on 809 883 1129. If you have any problems getting hold of him or communicating (he speaks some English, but not fluently) then feel free to PM me.

I would say that he is probably a little short of Master Craftsman status but of a perfectly acceptable standard and more honest and reliable than most of the competition.

He is based in Sabaneta but may be willing to go to areas other than the north coast for a larger project.

References from satisfied customers can be provided.

Last edited: