Firing or retraining?

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
We recently bought a place that came with a caretaker. I mean came with the caretaker because he's been at the house for 17 years. We closed on the house a couple of months ago and agreed to keep him on at his last salary.

Here in lies the problem. He's about useless. The guy subcontracts all of his work out to other workers and then comes to me expecting me to pay the other workers.

Yes, I've talked to him about his duties and what I expect of him. Here's what's happened over the past month.

I asked him to build a 'temporary fence' for my dogs. He bought the materials and hired some guy to build the fence. The fence fell over the other day.

I asked him to fill in the potholes leading up to our drive way. I went with him to the hardware store and bought all of the crap. When we got home I asked him when he'd start filling the holes in, you know the rest if you live here....
Anyway he hired the next door neighbors caretaker to fill in the pot holes.

Is it that his title should be changed from 'caretaker' to 'handyman'?

I mean there's no reason I can see to keep this guy on.

Suggestions?

Jack

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Casa con problema

We recently bought a place that came with a caretaker.

The guy should have been paid 'liquidaci?n' by the old owners and started new employment with you.
It, however, seems , that you bought yourself a problem, which may be costly to resolve.
I for one think, the man wants you to fire him and cash in on his years.

m'frog

jackieboo

Mar 18, 2006
Sorry M'Frog and thanks for bringing that up. I forgot to mention that in my original post.

The former owners DID pay the man his severance.

He has a totally new contract with me as of July, 2006.

Jack

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
We recently bought a place that came with a caretaker. I mean came with the caretaker because he's been at the house for 17 years. We closed on the house a couple of months ago and agreed to keep him on at his last salary.

Here in lies the problem. He's about useless. The guy subcontracts all of his work out to other workers and then comes to me expecting me to pay the other workers.

Yes, I've talked to him about his duties and what I expect of him. Here's what's happened over the past month.

I asked him to build a 'temporary fence' for my dogs. He bought the materials and hired some guy to build the fence. The fence fell over the other day.

I asked him to fill in the potholes leading up to our drive way. I went with him to the hardware store and bought all of the crap. When we got home I asked him when he'd start filling the holes in, you know the rest if you live here....
Anyway he hired the next door neighbors caretaker to fill in the pot holes.

Is it that his title should be changed from 'caretaker' to 'handyman'?

I mean there's no reason I can see to keep this guy on.

Suggestions?

Jack

tell your watchiman to hit the road jack, and don't you come back no more no more no more no more!

he can't collect from you has he hasn't worked for your for 17 years. he's only been with you a short time right? ok then, at best, you owe him a month. give him one months notice. tell him you will pay him 2 months salary and be done with him. the longer you keep the fungus without treating it the worst it will get. nip this at the butt..

jackieboo

Mar 18, 2006
I will get rid of his scrawny ash.

Know anyone that's looking for job? :glasses:

Jack