Bahia Blanca in Rio San Juan

Status
Not open for further replies.

otto

Aug 11, 2006
Looking for more info and possibly pics from anyone else who has stayed at the bahia blanca, have gotten some great info and a few pics from a couple of folks already. thanx to all .

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Hlywud,

Pretty confident aren't we? I guess I was imagining it's exhistance the 7 or 8 times I have stayed there. I emailed pics to otto. I guess if I take time to figure out this tinypic thing so I can post them here, you'll believe it when you see it?

Edited to add: sorry wud, I didn't realize this was a new thread otto started, so you couldn't read the info on the hotel which was posted by myself and others on the other one. It's there, trust me!!;)

Last edited:

otto

Aug 11, 2006
ok didnt need to see that first reply,,but realize that it is hard to look up info on bahia blanca and most searches point to the bahia principle, so maybe thats the confusion,,,i just wanted as much info from as many as possible since this will be my first trip to the area, and though ive had email contact with the owner, Lise, i believe, i have not heard from her in a few days,,maybe she only checks email once a week,,,,just wanted more pix of inside rooms maybe,,,screens on windows??... thanx sweet and others who give info .....

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
The windows are luvered glass that open with a crank, and I'm quite sure they have screens. At any rate, I don't remember ever having an insect problem there. No AC, TV or phone in room. Strong ceiling fan and ocean breezes make it reasonably comfortable w/o AC, at least most of the time. The place is a bit worn around the edges, but clean. I'll look and see if I have any inside pics. The restaurant is not too bad, and they serve breakfast. The views and ambience are what make this place special IMHO. The owner/operator is an elderly Swiss? woman, who speaks 5 or 6 languages already, and was in the process of learning Russian last I spoke with her.

jwampler

Feb 5, 2004
Hi Otto,
Believe I have a picture of the view from the Bahia Blanca. Sorry, I dont know how to upload the picture to the thread above and I also dont know how to minimize the picture. It's 460 KB.
The picture was taken April 2006 and if it's the correct hotel (I believe it is) is next to where they are building the ships on the beach.
I sent you a PM asking for your personal email address so I can send the picture to you.

jwampler

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
wud,

It's a small hotel (about 20 rooms) right on the bay within the village of Rio San Juan. It's less than a 5 minute walk from the Laguna Gri Gri. There are several signs advertising it on the North coast highway, and signs pointing the way from the entrance to RSJ to the hotel. The owner is a smart lady, but apparently not very internet-savvy. I think they operate mainly on word of mouth and repeat business. Every time I have been there they were about half full, but I've never needed a reservation.

I apologize for my sarcasm. (and I confess, it WAS sarcasm). I guess I'm not a person who assumes that because I don't know about something it doesn't exist.

otto

Aug 11, 2006
again thanx,,so sweet or anyone else what about the restaraunts close by ,,ive been told there were afew within five minutes of the blanca and a few bars,for night life,,,i understand its no cabarete , thats not what i was looking for but it sounded like there was little to nothingto do in the cabrera area west of playa grande so thats why i picked rio san juan over that area

jwampler

Feb 5, 2004
I emailed the picture to you and also sent a link (Yahoo photo album) so you could view it from the album
The hotel is small as was posted above me and could use some remodeling. What I really liked is the open air dining area. Nice white table cloths for nice dining. The view from the hotel is terrific and is right on the beach.

jwampler

Bahia Blanca

I will definitely check it out my next north coast trip. Who knows when that will be the better half loves PUJ but now that Samana is online from Canada she may want to head that way for a change.

If I thought there was sarcastic remarks as a moderator for the forums I would have removed them, so don't worry about your remarks, it is good to learn new information, we all learn each day.

I will give you a link to a group who love to help the kids in the DR, perhaps you and your friends would be interested in helping us help the children.

http://www.beyondthebeach.ca/

Have a good look and help us with a voucher purchase or donation if you can, and if your are in and from around the Metro Toronto area keep an eye out for our fiesta 2007 announcement, we have a great Dominican party each summer.

Hlywud

jwampler

Feb 5, 2004
Bahia Blanca

It's a very easy walk from the Bahia Blanca to almost any of the bars/restaurants in RSJ. You could use a moto ride too.

jwampler

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
HEY, no fair! Can we see the pics too?! I'm at the Colibri in Las Terranas right now, and unless you REALLY are into children, this is NOT the place to be in late August. I'm thinking about Rio San Juan as an alternative next year.

Last edited:

jwampler

Feb 5, 2004
Hi Ron

It was only a couple of pictures and not very good ones at that. One is of the view from the Bahia Blanca. Another is the Playa Caleton and another is Playa Diamente.
It's not much, but if you'd like, PM me your email address and I'll send them to you. Thanks,

jwampler

PS I didnt know there were so many children at Las Terrenas. That surprises me.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Hi ya Jwampler!

Thanks. I've sent you a PM. It's almost time to return to school, so I guess the kids are getting in thier last bit of fun, and I certainly cannot blame them or thier parents for that! The Colibri is a great family friendly destination and I love it. I just need a little quiet time, and with kids that is most problematic. I'll be back here in February before the spring break when I can go out with Kim to whale sight. ;)

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
A great stop

We have stayed there many times over the last 10+ years. Try to get rooms on the top (second) floor, towards the bay. Plan on having drinks at sunset on the very wide veranda in front of the rooms, as they have lounge chairs & tables. Since the hotel sticks out into the bay, it's like being on a ship! Watch the flocks of birds flying into the protected area North of the hotel. I think you will want to return.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.