media coverage

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
http://www.dominicantoday.com/app/article.aspx?id=16725

see above article. earlier this year, i sent alot of the attached media outlets' Travel Depts - mostly including ny times and canadian english/french papers - news about samana airport opening and the area in general. maybe it helped bring a few to the country? watch for some press - hopefully all good!

DavidM

Jun 29, 2006
There is some good press starting to hit the US market. I just returned from the DR and I met several American investors while I was there. One, like me, had just visited the Samana peninsula, but as of yet, most don't make it out there due to the difficulty in getting there from any large airport.

The only wild card is Cuba. If Cuba opens up to Americans, I believe that most US investors who would consider buying in the DR will be very distracted by the potential of getting real estate in Cuba.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Prior to our purchasing in the D.R. we checked out buying property in Cuba as we had been there five times. The problem with owning in Cuba is that you are not permitted to own 100% of the property. They did this to prevent what happened in the early 20th century when they lost control of their own resources and properties. I am not sure what the balance of ownership is now but five years ago it was 51% government, 49% purchaser.

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
cuba is at least 5 years away from being a safe investment under the best possible circumstances....those being that a chinese model takes root after castro is gone and that they open the country to a safe capitalistic model. forget about western style democracy, i'm afraid. however, foreigners still won't own a majority of their property under this model.

communism will have made that country a mess of corruption for at least another generation. however, as always, first ones in there take the biggest risk and fall hardest or have the most to gain. i hate to even think of the mess there will be with titles when cubans who lost their land to the communists want to reclaim it and a foreign buyer is sitting on such a property. castro even took his mother's property from her and claimed it for the state!