Does he only **** me off?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Fernandez to disarm the civilians
President Leonel Fernandez has announced a plan to expand efforts to disarm the civilian population and to seek people who have illegal weapons in the Dominican Republic. Yesterday, the Council for Democratic Security looked at the results of the first month since the Presidential decrees limiting the sale of alcoholic beverages were instituted. The Minister of the Interior said that the number of homicides had gone down, and the Metropolitan Archbishop of Santo Domingo, Cardinal Nicolas de Jesus Lopez Rodriguez, said that the entire country was experiencing the effects of better security. According to Listin Diario, the disarming of the general population will take place in keeping with the regulations worked out by the Ministry of the Interior and the Police. The President also announced that a new program to improve living conditions for police and military personnel would go into effect within one month.

I know I'll probably get a lot of heat for this post. I am aware that the DR is a very Catholic country and that politics and religion are mixed. But does the Cardinal only **** me off? This dude has his nose all up in everything. Who the hell cares what he has to say. Since when is he an expert on statistics etc. Really come on!!!

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I would imagine the 95% of Dominicans who are Roman Catholics care what he says.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Never been elected but sure talks like a politico. The cardinal and the institution are to a degree anachronistic with the realities of the modern world. I'm afraid we might get sensored here.

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
if disarming the general population includes all the drunks & dope heads, I'm all for it. Nothing terrifies me more than someone handling/carrying a gun when they don't have all their faculties.

smwebhead

Aug 18, 2006
Unfortantly only the bad guys will have guns, when this is completed. We were going to retire in DR, but not sure I want to get rid of all my rifles, and shotguns. I own no hand guns. Though been thinking of getting one.

Take away the guns and people will still kill each other, what's next, eliminate all knives, forks and spoons? Did disarming work in Britain or Austrlia? Nope.... Pie o sky...

Knee jerk reaction.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Here in FL guns are everywhere since the CC (concealed carry) laws were written.

But ANY crime committed with a gun is a MINIMUM MANDATORY prison sentence of 10 years, period, no parole. Pretty stiff.

After the Bad Guys finally realized the sentence WILL be handed down, gun crimes have dropped like a rock. Maybe the DR should consider this, since it goes hand-in-hand with the CC laws.

Besides, it's hard to knock over a liquor store with a spoon...

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Unfortantly only the bad guys will have guns, when this is completed. We were going to retire in DR, but not sure I want to get rid of all my rifles, and shotguns. I own no hand guns. Though been thinking of getting one.

Take away the guns and people will still kill each other, what's next, eliminate all knives, forks and spoons? Did disarming work in Britain or Austrlia? Nope.... Pie o sky...

Knee jerk reaction.

You would have to get rid of the rifles anyway. There is no way you can ship rifles here. You are allowed to have shotguns, and pistols under 45 calibre. Anyway this new ordinance would not affect you. People can still register to own guns; this is about the illegal guns of which there are far too many and they tend to belong to people who get drunk and shoot up the bar or fight over silly things like "that's my seat"(true incident), or break into houses. Believe me, this kind of action is sorely needed down here.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Amazing how I started this post to critize the cardinal and look where it went OH WELL heheheeeee.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Amazing how I started this post to critize the cardinal and look where it went OH WELL heheheeeee.

Well now that you brought him up again I will revive him.

I don't mind when the clergy comments on some important issues (as long as the church stays out of my bedroom)
that's effecting the country. The problem I see sometimes with Cardinal Nicolas de Jesus Lopez Rodriguez is that when he makes his pronouncements they are in the context of some governmental issue. I see the Cardinal too close to the government. Imho religion and government do not mix well, never have never will.

Well Tigre back on track.:cheeky:

bilijou

Jun 13, 2006
It ****es me off too. I'm seeing Catholic priests in the media more often making political statements. You now see Catholic figures planning on running for political positions, as the country sees a dramatic rise in evangelico conversions. I'm seeing problems down the road. No sense of separation between church and state.

Don Polo.

Brain Donor
May 9, 2006
Fernandez to disarm the civilians
President Leonel Fernandez has announced a plan to expand efforts to disarm the civilian population and to seek people who have illegal weapons in the Dominican Republic. Yesterday, the Council for Democratic Security looked at the results of the first month since the Presidential decrees limiting the sale of alcoholic beverages were instituted. The Minister of the Interior said that the number of homicides had gone down, and the Metropolitan Archbishop of Santo Domingo, Cardinal Nicolas de Jesus Lopez Rodriguez, said that the entire country was experiencing the effects of better security. According to Listin Diario, the disarming of the general population will take place in keeping with the regulations worked out by the Ministry of the Interior and the Police. The President also announced that a new program to improve living conditions for police and military personnel would go into effect within one month.

I know I'll probably get a lot of heat for this post. I am aware that the DR is a very Catholic country and that politics and religion are mixed. But does the Cardinal only **** me off? This dude has his nose all up in everything. Who the hell cares what he has to say. Since when is he an expert on statistics etc. Really come on!!!

^he's annoying and the church has no business in politics.

G

gary short

Keep religion out of politics and politics out of religion.....otherwise youy'll go to hell.

Sep 20, 2003
1954 Concordant

It ****es me off too. I'm seeing Catholic priests in the media more often making political statements. You now see Catholic figures planning on running for political positions, as the country sees a dramatic rise in evangelico conversions. I'm seeing problems down the road. No sense of separation between church and state.

From what I undestand, there has not been a speration of church(Roman Catholic) and state in the Dominican Republic since 1954 when Trujillo signed a concordant with the Catholic church. I read a couple of weeks ago on dr1 that the government was being asked to review that agreement. I'm not exactly sure what the Concorrdant means politically. Perhaps the Catholic Church does have some legal say afterall?

I'm sure someone on dr1 will set me straight.

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
What's ****?
Is it something prohibited by the Church?
Why *? Why not @?
This whole issue is riven with moral inconsistencies.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Thanatos thanks for bringing it back on track.

I just think that the cardinal should stick to what he does best or what he was hired to do - maintain the catholic church. He should not be involved with ANYTHING involving politics. He is no politician.

Joel I did not know about that accord Trujillo signed. It would be interesting if one of our knowledgeable members can shed some light on that.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
From what I undestand, there has not been a speration of church(Roman Catholic) and state in the Dominican Republic since 1954 when Trujillo signed a concordant with the Catholic church. I read a couple of weeks ago on dr1 that the government was being asked to review that agreement. I'm not exactly sure what the Concorrdant means politically. Perhaps the Catholic Church does have some legal say afterall?

According to the US Department of State

"The DR government signed a concordant in 1954 with the Vatican, extending to the Catholic Church special privileges not granted to other religious organizations. These include the use of public funds to underwrite some church expenses, such as the rehabilitation of church facillities, and a complete waiver of customs duties when importing goods"

Although officially there is no state religion, that's only on paper because its obvious that the Church enjoys certain privileges. As Joel mentions there was a call for a review of the concordant and I believe it should be abrogated.

http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/irf/2005/51636.htm

bilijou

Jun 13, 2006

joel,

I don't know whether that concordat allowed for a political say by the Catholic Church, but one thing I do know, Trujillo used the church as a propaganda machine. If you remember, before Trujillo, compared to the rest of Latin America the Catholic church in DR was very weak. While other LA countries had to deal with the church as the largest landowner (and the hell of taking land away from them) as well as their political influence, DR had already established a separation between church and state early on. What many people forget is how much attention Trujillo dedicated to creating a cultural construction of what Dominicans should be (and today are). Hispanidad was the theme, i.e., imitation of culture in Spain. Religion is a major component of culture, and Catholicism was king in Spain.
After REINSTATING the Catholic religion in DR, Trujillo came up with "Dios y Trujillo" propaganda. It was perfect.

Today, when separation between church and state should be clearer than ever, we will be dealing with a problem we had already avoided (and that other LA's found it tedious).