I may be nuts but..

CanadianCutie22

Jun 1, 2002
Is it possible to get from Bavaro-Punta Cana area to Jarabacoa? And if so, how long, means of transportation, cost?

The reason I ask is we're planning a return to the DR and instead of going to POP we want to try out PUC. I however, have taken a likeing to white water rafting and would hate to miss out on the chance to do it in the DR.

We're planning on going to PUC for two weeks so depending on costs this might be a nice lil (1 day or 2) excursion from the regular R&R.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks,

D.

Last edited:

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Bavaro to Jarabacoa is at least a 5 hour drive. It would be impossible to do the rafting there on a day trip, and if going by bus, you would probably need 3 days and 2 nights; a travel day there, a day for rafting, and a travel day back. After arriving on the first day there would probably be time to get a motoconcho to take you to see the waterfalls, Salto Jimanoa and Salto Baguaite.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have to agree with sweetdbt on this one. In fact, it is probably closer to a 6 or seven hour trip, what with bus changes and so forth. Not that it might not be worth it.

The experience you will gain just by going from Punta Cana to Higuey to La Romana and Santo Domingo and then to La Vega and then up to Jarabacoa will make you a truly seasoned traveller.

Give it a thought.

HB

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Right HB. My 5 hour time estimate was for driving straight through, and it may have been a bit optomistic (depending on traffic going through SD). It would certainly take quite a bit longer by bus.

I've visited Jarabacoa 3 times, and always find it to be a refreshing change of pace from the beach. Beautiful mountain scenery, cooler temperatures. waterfalls, and all the adventure tourist stuff to do. Also, the newly remodeled parque central is gorgeous. There are a couple of nice restaurants there, and if you're lucky a dinner just before sunset may also provide a view of the parade of the local horsemen and their magnificent steeds.

I'm not the bus expert here, but I know you would take the Bavaro Express bus to SD. It's possible there are busses that go all the way from SD to Jarabacoa, but I'm not aware of them. If not you would take Caribe Tours to Santiago, but get off at the turnoff to Jarabacoa and catch another bus or guagua from there. In SD you would need to take a cab from the Bavaro Express station to caribe Tours. I wouldn't think it would be more than $25 each way, and half of that would be for the cab.

CanadianCutie22

Jun 1, 2002
Thanks!

Thanks for the helpfull responses.. like I said we are still in the early planning stages (haven't quite booked the holiday yet) but I always like to get a bit of a plan for what to do when we're there.

I tried to find some pricing for the bus online but wasn't very successful. Was your quote of $25 for the entire trip (that seems quite cheap?!) and if not could anyone provide me with an approximation of the transportation costs?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I was estimating the price for each way at $25, 50 for the trip. Some of that would be for a taxi between bus stations in SD. Bus transportation in the DR is a real bargain. I usually drive, so I'm not as familiar with bus rates as a lot of other DR1 members, but I think I'm in the ballpark.

rainbow123

Jul 28, 2006
If it makes you feel any better I've been white water rafting in Jarabacoa and its not the be all and end all. Officially its grade 3, I haven't much experience but it's really quite mild. That would depend also on the season though of course - we went in June 05. There is nice scenery and the "feel" of the place is quite different to the touristy beach resorts, but even from Puerto Plata it was a long drive on the tour operator's bus which almost spoiled our day. How long is your holiday? Maybe you could get a twin centre break or something, I think there are lots of adventure-type things to do in Jarabacoa.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Take the Bavaro Express bus to SD. Then catch Caribe Express to Jarabacoa it cost 180 pesos each way( about $6 US)The latest bus, i believe there are 3 a day, leaves Santo Domingo at 4:30 PM and arrives in Jarabacoa at approx 7 PM. The bus goes direct with about a 5 minute stop at LA Vega. Personally I would book my rafting trip with Rancho Biaguante(spelling)in Jarabacoa, and take the buses as suggested. http://www.iguanamama.com
www.ranchobaiguate.com

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
So there are direct busses from SD to Jarabacoa, which makes the trip easier, and probably cheaper than I thought. I believe the Bavaro Express bus to SD is RD250 (less than $8). Add in a cab between bus stations, and the trip should be less than $25 each way. I would definately suggest taking an early bus from Punta Cana in order to make a connection which will get you to Jarabacoa earlier than 7:30. If you arrive by mid-afternoon there is time to see the waterfalls, which are worth the trip.

CanadianCutie22

Jun 1, 2002
Thanks again..

...for the more specific advice.

I have emailed Rancho Baiguete about prices for accomodations and the various adventure activities available (also read that paragliding was an option). I haven't received a response yet but it has only been a few days.

How user-friendly are the bus/cab services I would need to take? I have a university-intermediate level of spanish, however I haven't practiced much in the last few months. But I have just returned from two months in Europe and was able to manage communicating while there. Would it be a huge hassle trying to get to where we needed to go say without being able to speak any spanish?

Rainbow, we're going for two weeks so I think we'd have enough time for a two night stay at Rancho. I just have a feeling that two weeks might be a bit long since PUC seems to be slightly lacking in activities (compared to other places we've been). I had hoped on checking out some whale-watching as well but sadly we return to the cold north 3 days too soon. Also, the rafting that I did is Austria also was a category three...mainly mellow for the most part with several more exciting bits. lol

Thanks again guys.

D.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I don't know about the Bavaro bus line but at the Caribe tours terminal go to ticket booth(line of glass) #13, if I remember correctly, and just say Jarabacoa and it's pretty hard to go wrong. Most taxi drivers understand a little English and your Spanish should be good enough, if not, just have a person write down want you want to say and let them(taxidriver)read it, official taxidrivers in SD wear aqua-green shirts and id badges.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
The bus from Bavaro to Santo Domingo will cost about RD$250 and the bus line said it is a 4 hour trip. The taxi fare in SD from the bus stop to Caribe Tours terminal should cost no more then RD$100 pesos and maybe 80 if you?re a good haggler. Then take the bus as Bob Saunders explained to get to Jarabacoa. I estimate the total trip to be about 250+100+180= RD$530 divided by 32.5 = US$16.32 and would be about an 8 hour trip. The number for the bus park in Bavaro is (809) 552-0771

Hope this helps.

Rick

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hi cutie,
the activities in jarabacoa, river rafting and paragliding, are offered by the touroperators here in punta cana/bavaro, too. i've not been up on the Rancho by myself over 5 years now, but if you travel with a agent they should get you detailed info to be worth their money they cash you.
if you have any problem to make that connection drop me a mail and i'll find it out.
have fun on our paradise island
Mike
Mike@MikesMarina.info

lilredrooster

Aug 12, 2006
Why not just come to Puerto Plata? Much closer to Jarabacoa and in two weeks you'll be bored to death in the compounds of Punta Cana. No life outside the resorts at all. My 2 cents. Even if you've been to Puerto Plata before there is always something exciting to discover.

CanadianCutie22

Jun 1, 2002
Thanks again.. you guys rock!

Hey guys.. sorry for the slow response... been drowning in job interviews and then made it out to my camp for the last weekend of "summer" :( Here comes a mass response to all of yahs.. hope you don't mind..

Rick.. that doesn't sound so bad.. after bussing through 19 countries in Europe and throughout Egypt this summer.. I'm sure I can handle another 8 hours.. or so..

Mike and Webmacon.. would you have any idea of pricing for these fly in trips? Mike I'm not sure of what kinda agent you're talking about? Like the skyservice tour operators located in the lobby at the resorts?

Lilredrooster.. while I don't doubt there is loads of stuff I've missed out on in POP we've decided that after taking three 1-2 week stays in POP, we'd like to try out the white sand of the east coast... thanks tho!

Still no word yet from the Rancho...startin to lose a bit of hope on that one as one of their email addresses I sent to bounced it back to me.. we will see tho!

Thanks again ya'll. We still haven't booked...really trying to, you know, do the responsible adult thing and get a job before booking another trip.. but hopefully soon.. my fingers are definately crossed!

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hi Cutie,
i just found out that the office which sold the excursion before isn't existing any more here in punta cana, but i made some calls and wait for an answer this afternoon, i'll post you right away the contact details as soon as i get them
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Cutie,
i have to say i failed, i checked by the way today listings in the windows of some local tour sellers, reps excursion boards and asked some sellers i know here, they all know about the tour but non been able to tell me how i can book/contact it. i will not be around tomorrow and saturday noon i will be airborne for a 2 months europe trip, i am really sorry not to be helpful.
anyways enjoy our Paradise Island
have fun
Mike

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Write to the owner of Baiguate at her personal email: estela@ranchobaiguate.com

My suggestion would be to plan for two nights at Baiguate. Gives you time to relax. One day do the rafting, next day visit the Salto de Jimenoa falls. Since you have two weeks, also consider two or three nights in Santo Domingo to see the colonial city, botanical gardens, go to a beauty salon.