The BEST Hotel in Playa Dorada - Opinions Please

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I need your help and honest replies please. My family is planning a vacation to Puerto Plata for Christmas/New Years of 2006/07. My husband and I will not be staying at a resort, however, my parents, who are in their late 50's early 60's, will be and my husband and I want them to have the vacation of their life.

They stayed in Sosua in 2005 at Casa Marina Beach and were very dissapointed (rooms were nice but the beach was small and the food very "Dominican" and my father got VERY sick from some of the food there). Anyway, my husband and I have convinced them to come with us IF we can find a nice 4+ star hotel in Playa Dorada. We feel that Playa Dorada will be more up their alley because they like to walk and they can walk in the Playa Dorada complex among the many hotels and up and down the long beach. They will get off the resort plenty with my husband and I, so that is not a worry.

Mainly, they are used to staying at 5* hotels in Mexico and the rest of the caribbean and did not get that feel at Casa Marina. I know that the hotels in Playa Dorada are not Punta Cana quality but can anyone tell me (in your opinion) what the BEST hotel would be, taking into consideration, Food (1st) (lots of North American style choices offered), beach quality in front of hotel (2nd), rooms (3rd), hotel activities, etc. (4th). I have read great things about the Coral Marien and the Iberostar but they are not in the Playa Dorada complex. Please keep your suggestions to Playa Dorada hotels only. The added perk here is that my dad and my husband can play golf every day if they want!

Look forward to hearing everyone's comments (both tourists and residents of POP).

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Tamborista, this hotel looks absolutely gorgeous! However, I don't think it's quite what I had in mind. It does not look very tropical and my parents still like to dress/act fairly casual on their vacation. I am looking for an all-inclusive resort that that has great food and beach but that still has that laid back caribbean feel. For example, something along the lines of Sun Village re rooms, food, etc. but in Playa Dorada and with nice beach in front (because I know some of those hotels have seaweed or not much beach at all).

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
I have stayed at Coral Marian By Hilton Resort and Spa, around 12 times and really enjoy it. I now stay off the reosrt at my husband's apartment. But out of all the hotels I've stayed at, this is my favorite. (I've stayted at Allegro Playa Dorado, Gran Ventena, Bahia Principe, and other AI in Mexico-Cancun, Puerto Vallarta)

The food is awesome at the Coral! Plus it's not too noisy and caters more to family and couples. There is a kids club and activities but you can opt out of them, and the resort is a great size in ways of getting around. Not too far distance between the rooms, and the pool, beach and restaurants.
Of course they have the nightly shows and a disco on site, I would recommend Building 3, b/c it's far enough away from the disco, but central to everything else (pool, beach, theater, restaurants)

It is NOT in the Playa Dorado Complex, however it is about a 5 minute taxi drive. The food and drink is 24 hours, and a very relaxful place to go to.

If you have any other questions please feel free to PM me. Thanks
Lisa

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
I have stayed many times at Iberostar Costa Dorada. This resort is by far one of the best in Puerta Plata. Everything from the beach to the food and beautifully kept grounds to the very accomodating and friendly staff, I have no complaints about this resort.

If you want to know more please PM me.
Erin

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
For an All Inclusive in Playa Dorada, not Costa Dorada, then the two choices I would look at are the Gran Ventana and the Victoria. The Gran Ventana is right on the beach, Victoria is off the beach but right on the golf course. Both are an easy walk to the plaza. Both are run by the same company which also owns Casa Colonial. They offer good value, good food, entertainment etc.

dominican_daisy

Apr 18, 2006
Dorada Complex

Hi,

I've stayed a The Gran Ventana a couple of times, and I had my wedding there. The grounds are beautiful and the beach is one of the best on the strip, the rooms are average and the nightly shows are good....the food for the most part was good....make sure to take advantage of the a la carte restaurants.

I've also stay at the Grand Flamenco and Playa Naco....I would rate the Flamenco better then Playa Naco, however when I stayed at the Flamenco we stayed in the Royal Club...now that is a vacation....

The beach at the Flamenco is not very good..it's in a lagoon?....Playa Naco's beach was nice!

Now, I'm heading back to the DR on Monday, and I'm staying at Viva Wyndham Playa Dorada....so I will let you know how that resort is???

If anyone has stayed there before...any input/comments on this resort would be nice!!!

Thanks,
DD

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Well - im a Flamenco fan all day long!
4 visits from the UK so far in 12 months.

Have stayed at the Ventana before - however IMHO i prefer the Flamenco as I think the view from the beach is better than Ventana. Both nice hotels with great food.

For me - I would suggest that Ventana may just nose ahead due to the fact its a smaller chain ie Occidental group is huge and sometimes that can be a bad thing.

Either Vantana or Flamenco would be great for people of all ages.

Hope the folks have a great time.

Dan

dot

Jun 19, 2005
www.beyondthebeach.ca
My husband and I are in our mid-50's and have stayed at the Gran Ventana 5 times. We stayed there over Christmas 2004/New Years 2005 and if you go to: http://community.webshots.com/user/dot_49 there is an album called "Dominican - Gran Ventana Christmas & New Year's 2004" and from that, you can see our photos from then. As you can see, Christmas Eve & New Years Eve the hotel puts on an EXCELLENT party. I didn't photograph the menu for New Years Eve but, if it is possible, it was even BETTER!!

From the album entitled "Dominican - Gran Ventana Dec 19/04 - Jan 2/05" you can see how the Playa Dorada area is decorated - beautiful!

Now, I can't guarantee that this Santa will be there but, we are discussing it and if we go, your parents just might see Santa on Christmas Eve if they have been good girls & boys!!! ;) We are getting pricing for Dec. 21/06 - Jan. 04/07! Keep your fingers crossed for us!

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Thank you... these are great replies and thank you for providing pictures too! The beach in front of the resort is VERY important so by the sounds of it, the Flamenco is not an option. Also, I know several of you say the Coral Marien is very nice but I have heard the beach there is not great and also, we want them to be within Playa Dorada because they can walk up and down the strip at night, etc. You can't do that at the Coral Marien.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
If you are also considering Costa Dorada I would recommend Iberostar Costa Dorada, IMHO the best AI on the North Coast (although not by too much). If the beach is a concern, it is being refurbished next month and will be brand new for your parents. You might want to wait and see what the beach looks like in a few weeks.

Gregg

jimhe

Mar 26, 2006
I am living in Juan Dolio but want to go up to the north coast the end of this month. My company is closed for the US Thanksgiving holiday. I was very interested in Iberostar Costa Dorada. Has anyone been there recently? Is the beach refurbishment finished? The beach is very important to us so I don't want to select that AI unless the beach is ready. Thanks!

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Any help playa-dorada-tags-google-earth.h

I need your help and honest replies please. My family is planning a vacation to Puerto Plata for Christmas/New Years of 2006/07. My husband and I will not be staying at a resort, however, my parents, who are in their late 50's early 60's, will be and my husband and I want them to have the vacation of their life.

They stayed in Sosua in 2005 at Casa Marina Beach and were very dissapointed (rooms were nice but the beach was small and the food very "Dominican" and my father got VERY sick from some of the food there). Anyway, my husband and I have convinced them to come with us IF we can find a nice 4+ star hotel in Playa Dorada. We feel that Playa Dorada will be more up their alley because they like to walk and they can walk in the Playa Dorada complex among the many hotels and up and down the long beach. They will get off the resort plenty with my husband and I, so that is not a worry.

Mainly, they are used to staying at 5* hotels in Mexico and the rest of the caribbean and did not get that feel at Casa Marina. I know that the hotels in Playa Dorada are not Punta Cana quality but can anyone tell me (in your opinion) what the BEST hotel would be, taking into consideration, Food (1st) (lots of North American style choices offered), beach quality in front of hotel (2nd), rooms (3rd), hotel activities, etc. (4th). I have read great things about the Coral Marien and the Iberostar but they are not in the Playa Dorada complex. Please keep your suggestions to Playa Dorada hotels only. The added perk here is that my dad and my husband can play golf every day if they want!

Look forward to hearing everyone's comments (both tourists and residents of POP).

http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-coa...tags-google-earth.html?highlight=Playa+Dorada