LTI Sol de Plata Bavaro Resort - Punta Cana

D

Debbie

We are booked in this hotel and are due to arrive on January 30, 2000. My travel agent confirmed with me this morning that the official opening date for this hotel is January 29, 2000. When a hotel has been putting off its opening since November, and is still not open, but will open on our arrival date, should we be worried? She told us that if ever the date is pushed any further, that the week before our departure, we will be transferred to a higher rated hotel. We do not know what to think of this situation, should we be worried or not?? This is our first trip south and we do not wish to regret it.....

M

Marcie

Checked with our travel agent on Monday (Jan.3) you are correct. Hotel is not scheduled to open. We were told that the Flamenco (Punta Cana) would be an alternative. This is our 15th trip to the D.R. I would not recommend going to a brand new hotel the first week or even the first month it opens. As for the Flamenco, last report we heard from Air Transat (we had to drag this information out of them) is that it is not totally completed (some rooms to be finished & one of the pools isn't open). An alternative offered by Air Transat was the Riu Melao. This hotel has been up and running for a couple years. This hotel chain is excellent as we have stayed at both Riu Merengue and Riu Mambo (Puerto Plata)in 1999. I would recommend this hotel (Riu Melao) for the first time traveller to the D.R. P.S. I would not totally rely on the tour company to provide better accommodations. You should pick them. Remember, they're in the business of making money and fulfilling their commitments to the other hotels they have booked. Some may be better, but a lot don't meet the 4 1/2 star rating; I believe the Riu does. See www.debbiesdominicantravel.com for more information on Riu hotels or any other hotels in the D.R.

D

Debbie

Our travel agent tells us that we cannot change hotel, Air Transat, who is our supplier also, is not willing to offer anything better yet. How do you deal with this, do you have to pay more? Do you just say that you do not want to take a chance, what should we do?

M

Marcie

We had to pay an extra $280.00 but they did not charge us for changing the reservation or any fuel surcharge. We are going for 2 weeks (Feb. 5) and felt the difference was well worth the peace of mind for what we believe will be a good vacation. As far as your travel agent goes, tell her you booked the vacation with the understanding that the hotel was to open on Dec.1, this commitment has not been fulfilled and therefore, you do not wish to take the chance of staying at a hotel in its' first week of operation. Air Transat has changed it for us and charged us no penalty just the upgraded price. Good Luck in your endeavours to find a hotel.

M

Martha

I would never stay at a resort that hasn't been open for at least four months. You are very wise to want info. Punta Cana is a beautiful area. I would hate to see you not have a great vacation because you were in chaotic construction. Change hotels!