Bus from SDQ Airport to Punta Cana

acook

Aug 29, 2006
Hello,

I am flying into SDQ (Los Americanos) but need to get to my final destination of Punta Cana. Where/How can I catch the bus at SDQ airport to get there? I keep hearing and reading about either Caribe Tours or Metro Express, but need more logistical information. Thank you.

A. Cook

mpowerag

Jul 9, 2006
There are a couple of ways to do this:
1) Take a cab from the airport to Parque Enriquillo and ask somebody for the bus stop for Expresso Bavaro (250 pesos per person, one way). Their schedule is I believe 7 am, 10 am, 2 pm , 4 pm. They fill up fast. If you are not able to get one of those you can catch a bus from Parque Enriquillo to Higuey (160 pesos per person, one way) and then catch a bus from Higuey to Punta Cana (70 pesos). Its easy...dont let changing buses scare you...I had to go this route since I missed the 10:00 am Expresso Bavaro just last week. Just ask people around...you will find somebody speaking broken english if spanish is not ur thing.
2) Catch a cab from the airport to the Highway underpass where you will find this buses on their way to punta cana and higuey. The Underpass I am referring to is like 5 mins from the airport...I dont know exactly how to explain this but the cab driver should know. A lotta locals catch buses at this underspass on the highway from Santo Domingo to Puntacana. You can catch a bus to Higuey here and from Higuey catch a bus to Puntacana. (I suggest option 1 cuz you dont want to be in the middle of the highway with your lugguage). Most of these buses pass by the hotels so you can tell them where to drop you off. Good luck.
From what I have read Metro and Caribe Tours does not go to Puntacana but when I was there I did see buses from both these companies.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Instead of Parque Enriquillo stop, we recommend people pick up the bus at the Expreso Bavaro stop at Calle Juan Sanchez Ramirez No. 31 (near Supermercado Nacional of the Maximo Gomez). Tel 809 682-9670. That is run by the Sitrabapu union. The bus will take you to the Parada Sitrabapu off of Friusa. From there you can take another of the buses to the stop nearest your hotel. Same rate of about RD$250. Departures from Santo Domingo at 7 am, 10 am, 2 pm and 4 pm. It is about a 4 hour trip.

We recommend spending an evening in Santo Domingo and then catching the bus the next day. For hotel options, see the Santo Domingo section of our Hotel Directory at http://dr1.com/directories/index.shtml#Hotels_Resorts

Metro nor Caribe Tours have scheduled service to Bavaro. The local union (Sitrabapu) does not allow competition and the authorities have been complacent in allowing them to maintain their monopoly.

Tripitaka

Feb 6, 2007
Excellent info on here -thanks muchly.

A question for Dolores on the bus - what is " Calle Juan Sanchez Ramirez No. 31 " - is it a building or landmark of some kind ?
Also, what currencys can we pay in for the bus - we will most likely have USD or Euros.

ASH

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
That is an address that you would give to your taxi driver. It is a short distance from Maximo Gomez but is a one way street, east-west, so to get there you need to go around a block. You will need pesos.

vegasdiva

Dec 2, 2006
Cab fare from STQ to the underpass?

Thanks for the excellent information here! Just wanted to know how much I can expect a cab fare to be from STQ to "the underpass" or to the Expreso Bavaro stop.

I want to get from the airport in STQ to the main bus stop in Higuey in as few hours as possible - but without alot of cost. I land at the airport about 10am.

Any help is appreciated,
LD

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I do not know the present rate for a taxi from the airport to the main road but the road is about ? to ? of a mile from the airport. Be aware that the price for that short distance will more then likely be outrageous. Someone with a motorcycle (motorconcho) around there would probably take you for about 20 to30 pesos if you were able to carry your luggage while mounted on the back of the bike.

From the Las Americas airport in Santo Domingo the main highway is about ? to ? of a mile from the airport (North of the airport) and runs West to East. As you are facing the highway from the airport Santo Domingo is West, (left), and Boca Chica, Juan Dolio, San Pedro, Romana, Higuey etc. are to the EAST, ( right).

When you come to the highway the bus stop going East is under the overpass and you will usually see people waiting there to catch a bus.

All buses will have in there windshield, above their windshield or on the front of their bus their destination. They do not all stop at the stops as indicated as some buses are tour, express or full. When you see your destination on the bus just hold your hand up with your index finger pointed up and if they are picking up passengers they will stop for you. Each bus has an individual that hangs at the door and he is called the ?cobrador?. It is his duty to collect the fares from the passengers and he usually does this when the bus is not in and area where stops are made. Because of this it might be 10 or 15 minutes after you mount the bus that he approaches you for the fare. Then again if there is not another stop for a mile or two then he might come to you straight away for the fare. If you are not sure of the fare you can ask how much of the cobrador and they usually will tell you the truth but there are those that after determining you are a foreigner may jack up the price because of your lack of knowledge. A good idea is to ask someone at the bus stop, before you mount a bus, how much is the fare to so-and-so. Once the fare is determined try to have that amount readily available and give that amount to the cobrador. They will take foreign money but the exchange rate will be well in their favor. Because of that it is a good idea to change some money into pesos at the airport where the exchange rate will be better then on a bus.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Additional info......

Usually as a rule your wait for a bus should be less then an hour as all those local buses run an every half hour or 45 minute schedule. If your destination is Higuey then that is the bus to be on the lookout for. If your destination is the Punta Cana area then I would suggest the Higuey bus also and switch buses in Higuey for points further East.

vegasdiva

Dec 2, 2006
Thanks Rick - for the info. Less than a mile to the bus stop, I can easily walk there. Is this safe? (I'm a gringa traveling sola.)

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
At 10 AM no problem at all. Being a female it's very possible to get an offer of a lift to the road. My opinion.

Rick

Stateside

Dec 11, 2007
Opposite: Punta Cana airport to Santo Domingo

My finance and I have travel plans opposite of that posted on this site: we're flying into Punta Cana and need to get to Santo Domingo. Is there bus transportation (i.e. Caribe Tours) available at PUJ able to take us there? Other recommendations? Thanks!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
My finance and I have travel plans opposite of that posted on this site: we're flying into Punta Cana and need to get to Santo Domingo. Is there bus transportation (i.e. Caribe Tours) available at PUJ able to take us there? Other recommendations? Thanks!

The infomation below is from PJT's post of Jan. 12.

The following is the express bus schedule from the Punta Cana / Bavaro area to Santo Domingo and return. EXPRESO BAVARO a.k.a. Bavaro Santo Domingo Express as of January 2008. At this time the fare to Sto. Domingo from Sitrabapu / Friusa station is 300 pesos*, the fare from the station near the airport should be about the same and the fare from Beron should be less.

The buses are comfortable with a/c. There is storage space for luggage. There is a comfort stop in La Romana. Travel time to Sto. Domingo is about 3.5 - 4 hours depending on time of day and traffic conditions.

Stations:
Estacion Sitrabapu, (Bavaro)
Carr. Coco Loco Riu in front of Friusa, Tel. 809-552-1678

Estacion Beron (Veron)
Hotel Flor del Sol, near the Beron (Veron) crossroads Tel. 809-455-1473

Estacion Punta Cana (airport)
Parada (bus stop) Punta Cana, near the Punta Cana airport. No phone listed.

Estacion Sto. Domingo
Juan Sanchez Ramirez No. 31, near the corner with Avenida Maximo Gomez
Tel. 809-682-9670

Bus Schedules:

Bavaro ? Sto. Domingo; 7:00 am, 10:00 am, 2:00 pm, and 4:00 pm
Sto. Domingo ? Bavaro; 7:00 am, 10:00 am, 2:00 pm, and 4:00 pm

Beron ? Sto. Domingo; 7:00 am, 8:00 am 10:00 am, 2:00 pm, and 4:00 pm
Sto.Domingo ? Beron; 7:00 am, 10:00 am, 2:00 pm, and 4:00 pm

Punta Cana (airport) ? Sto. Domingo; 8:00 am
Sto. Domingo ? Punta Cana; 2:55 pm

Note: It is less than ten minutes from the Punta Cana airport to Beron/Veron, should you miss the 8:00 am bus from the station near the airport, and you can take a taxi US $15* to Beron to acquire the express bus service from Beron for the 10:00 am, 2:00 pm, and 4:00 pm departures.

If you are going to the Punta Cana airport from Sto.Domingo, of course you take the the 2:55 pm bus. At any other time you can use any one of the other bus routes and ask the driver to drop you off in Beron at the Beron Taxi station to acquire a taxi US $15* to the airport.

Now refering to Dolores's response to the location of the bus stop in Santo Domingo at Juan Sanchez Ramirez. It is near the corner of that street and Avenida Maximo Gomez, a main thorughfare. The Supermarket "El Nacional" and The Shell gas station on Maximo Gomez are opposit the corner of Juan Sanchez Ramirez and Maximo Gomez.

Regards,
PJT

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
On the matter of getting from the SDQ to the highway - moto-conchos are excellent and cheap at a price of 30 pesos. Walk out of the entrance to the airport, and towards the exit of the carpark - the mopeds (moto-conchos) park under the trees right after the fenced area to the right - much better than the inflated prices of the taxi-mafia at the airport -unless you have much luggage that is

LittleItaly

Jun 17, 2008
The infomation below is from PJT's post of Jan. 12.

The following is the express bus schedule from the Punta Cana / Bavaro area to Santo Domingo and return. EXPRESO BAVARO a.k.a. Bavaro Santo Domingo Express as of January 2008. At this time the fare to Sto. Domingo from Sitrabapu / Friusa station is 300 pesos*, the fare from the station near the airport should be about the same and the fare from Beron should be less.

The buses are comfortable with a/c. There is storage space for luggage. There is a comfort stop in La Romana. Travel time to Sto. Domingo is about 3.5 - 4 hours depending on time of day and traffic conditions.

Stations:
Estacion Sitrabapu, (Bavaro)
Carr. Coco Loco Riu in front of Friusa, Tel. 809-552-1678

Estacion Beron (Veron)
Hotel Flor del Sol, near the Beron (Veron) crossroads Tel. 809-455-1473

Estacion Punta Cana (airport)
Parada (bus stop) Punta Cana, near the Punta Cana airport. No phone listed.

Estacion Sto. Domingo
Juan Sanchez Ramirez No. 31, near the corner with Avenida Maximo Gomez
Tel. 809-682-9670

Bus Schedules:

Bavaro ? Sto. Domingo; 7:00 am, 10:00 am, 2:00 pm, and 4:00 pm
Sto. Domingo ? Bavaro; 7:00 am, 10:00 am, 2:00 pm, and 4:00 pm

Beron ? Sto. Domingo; 7:00 am, 8:00 am 10:00 am, 2:00 pm, and 4:00 pm
Sto.Domingo ? Beron; 7:00 am, 10:00 am, 2:00 pm, and 4:00 pm

Punta Cana (airport) ? Sto. Domingo; 8:00 am
Sto. Domingo ? Punta Cana; 2:55 pm

Note: It is less than ten minutes from the Punta Cana airport to Beron/Veron, should you miss the 8:00 am bus from the station near the airport, and you can take a taxi US $15* to Beron to acquire the express bus service from Beron for the 10:00 am, 2:00 pm, and 4:00 pm departures.

If you are going to the Punta Cana airport from Sto.Domingo, of course you take the the 2:55 pm bus. At any other time you can use any one of the other bus routes and ask the driver to drop you off in Beron at the Beron Taxi station to acquire a taxi US $15* to the airport.

Now refering to Dolores's response to the location of the bus stop in Santo Domingo at Juan Sanchez Ramirez. It is near the corner of that street and Avenida Maximo Gomez, a main thorughfare. The Supermarket "El Nacional" and The Shell gas station on Maximo Gomez are opposit the corner of Juan Sanchez Ramirez and Maximo Gomez.

Regards,
PJT

Hello friend,i write from Italy,genoa.
I speak english little.
next mounth i take fly from bruxelles to Punta Cana.i Arrived at 11.00 am.
From Punta Cana to Bocachica is there a bus and where and when departure?
Thanks friend,i speak no good english and this is my first message.:):):)

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
Walk out of the Punta Cana airport to the highway (75 m) and catch one of the mini-buses (gua-gua) to Hugeuy (if I recall approx. 100 pesos). From Hugeuy bus station you catch the Santo Domingo bus, which passes through Boca Chica, just ask the driver to let you off at the right location - used to be 270 pesos to Santo Domingo.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
That would be Higuey.

Depending on your arrival time, there is also 1 (one) express bus frequency Punta Cana to Santo Domingo.

Other option if you have lots of luggage is to take taxi direct to Higuey and catch an express bus from there.

suavebig6

Jun 17, 2008
I was IN DR last week in Punta Cana. I got a bus call Barcelo Express for US $11.00 one way and it stop at Santo Domingo "PARQUE ENRIQUILLO". Nice bus air,TV good ride.