How to make cheap international phone calls from Las Terrenas

DavidM

Jun 29, 2006
I just returned from Las Terrenas yesterday. When I was down there I was using information that I had read in several travel guides. One guide told me to go to Heidi?s Arche Noah (German food). This place is right down next to the Fisherman?s Village and when I asked them about international phones they looked at me like I was crazy. They told me that I could not make an international telephone call from there.

I did find several places to make calls (including my hotel). My cell phone company quoted me a rate of USD$2 per minute, so I was happy when I heard about Verizon?s rate of $.30 (yes 30 cents) per minute. It was 9 Dominican pesos per minute. They also have cheap Internet rates if you need that, but several hotels, restaurants offer free wi-fi access.

If you cannot find this place and if you have to ask locals for it?s location, make sure to ask for the Verizon COMPANY location. Even locals who were a block away shook their head or misdirected me when I asked for the Verizon store (they sent me to other stores that sold cell phones). The key is to look for a big antenna and a chain link fence (on the North side of the street).

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
Yahoo Messenger with Voice

Get on a computer; buy a headset, and buy online time on www.skype.com. It can cost you as little as $US0.02 a minute.

A more reliable alternative is Yahoo Messenger with Voice. Skype will not connect to all cellphones---don't know why. Voice quality with Yahoo Messenger is at least as good, and often better than a land-line phone.

http://messenger.yahoo.com/http://messenger.yahoo.com/

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Get on a computer; buy a headset, and buy online time on www.skype.com. It can cost you as little as $US0.02 a minute.

Since you suggested this service, I am assuming that you use it to call the DR. Am I wrong? I was curious as to how much I would save and even if I can use it seeing as I call people on the island who only have cell phones and do not have computers.
And yes, I am too lazy to go to the site and read it. But think of it this way-you'll be helping quite a few people here on DR1, not just lazy ol' me!!