any large hotels on the south shore (Samana)open these days?

Sep 19, 2005
Looking for a large hotel on the south shore opposite Cayo Leventado, or close, or on the island itself( if completed). I know a few were undergoing remodeling, and none are listed in the forums hotels section, that i can tell. Want to go back to the area for a one year reminiscing trip.
Bob

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
go to www.exitnow.ca and take steps to make a booking to samana. those hotels - cayo levantado and gran bahia - will pop up. if you're from canada, then you can make a booking there. if not, then go to any major travel agent's website and they should also have those hotels listed by now. you can also just go to hotels "principe" and find the hotels listed.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
From what I see when I pass by, the Gran Bahia is still under major reconstruction and may possibly be ready for the next high season. Although a lot of new roof was added, there's still quite a bit to go and construction debris is quite prevalent. Same goes for the reception/port area at the old Simi-Baez facility on the peninsula for the hotel on the Cayo and I heard some of the construction was stopped due to a land ownership dispute. I don't know the status of the hotel on the cayo itself but last week I noticed that the boats carrying construction materials from Samana harbor to the cayo were still shuttling back and forth.

Sep 19, 2005
thanks....ok how about going down in scale...needs =AC, clean bathrooms,no bugs( I get enough bugs when i go hunting)

the Bahia Principe on Cayo Leventado isnt open in septemeber this year...and not open in october either, but they are taking bookings for decemeber. As an example decemeber 27-29th is a mere $2,400US...almost as cheap as your average Sosua hotel.........Ill tell my gf they were booked

still looking.....BOB

G

gary short

Hotel Bahia View 809-538-2186, Hotel Docia 809-538 2041, L'Aguada Tropical 809-249-8131, Hotel Topical Lodge 809-538-2840, Occidental Gran Bahia 809-320-3988.

G

gary short

Sorry Bob just realized you're looking for a large hotel.........why???

Sep 19, 2005
was might have been the key word...I was thinking I want to make sure the place is very comfortable...a nice dining area, some things to do on site, more chance of absolute 100% electricity, and AC....clean rooms.....just things I have found are EASIER to come by with larger hotels.

I really dont care about the size..it was just my way of trying to make sure I get the kind of stay I WANT....I'd like something on the beach, even though Ill probably go to the island most of the day(CL)

ammenities are usually easier to come by at bigger hotels. like ironing boards ,irons, blow dryers, refridgerators in the rooms, better first aid care, a bar or two.....even though i may not use them..I love having the option..IF I FEEL like it.

that said i dont think there are any open now, close to the island...so Id like to find out more about those you listed....how can i do that other than calling......not that thats not totally out of the question...

are they all close to the bay?

bob

G

gary short

Probably Hotel Tropical Lodge would fit your criteria. Although personally I would head to Las Galeras........way better than Samana.....just my opinion.