Buying Land

Spyderdiaz

Jul 15, 2005
Can anyone give me an overview on the steps involved in buying a lot in DR and the fees involved. I've already read the overview of Dominican Real Estate Law by Fabio J. Guzman-Ariza but it only covers buying a house or a condo.

Also, what is the going rate attorneys charge to represent you in this type of purchase.

Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Spyderdiaz

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Be very careful with buying land here, many people like to sell property that they don't own (sometimes several times over), often with the help of your lawyer who gets a kick back or via fake titles from the registry. Make sure you only deal with reputable lawyers like Dr Guzman. Almost anybody can be a lawyer here, so watch out.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Have property laws been updated so that absentee landlords are still protected from squatters and invasores?
I'm told that DR's archaic laws still allows for anyone to keep property if the rightful owner does not filed an eviction petition within a set length of time.
Eventually, I'd like to buy land but not live in it until able to build a nice house and retire there. Comments?