What to expect if you will be driving in the DR

DavidM

Jun 29, 2006
If you are renting a car so you can do some sightseeing or looking at land to buy, here is some information about what you can expect.

First off, the Dominican Republic is a big country. Second, most of the roads are bad. When I say bad, I mean terrible. Let?s just say that I had looked into flying onto Punta Cana and wanted to get to Samana/Las Terrenas. Well, that is about a 65 mile distance as the crow flies, however if you are unable to take the ferry, then you need to drive the long way around (through Santo Doningo, then up through San Francisco, Nagua, and Sanchez) which means it will be a 9-10 hour drive.

Some roads are good. For example, the main highway from Santo Domingo to Santiago (Autopista) is a good road. It has speed limits which are usually 100km/h and occasionally 80km/hr. I was able to get my rental car up to 140 km/hr on one vacant stretch.

CLICK ON THE PICTURE AND IT WILL GET BIGGER

However, do not think that the Dominican highway is like the Autobahn or like any American highway. Why? Well, you will have people on crappy scooters going about 20-50km/h driving in the right lane, which will mean that everyone in a car/truck has to pass them. Obviously this can clog the passing lane. Also, you will see many many people walking on both sides of the road, even toddlers.

You will also see people on scooters driving the wrong way on the highway (but they will be on the side of the road). Nevertheless, you will see oncoming headlights if you drive at night.

That was the good news. Now for the other 90% of the roads in the DR: They are maintained very poorly. Let?s assume that 50% of the roads in the DR are paved. Well, much of that pavement is covered in potholes. Often entire sections of the road is so marred with pothols that all traffic (including locals) come to a crawl (5-10 km/hr) to traverse that section of the road. Also, since nobody likes hitting potholes, oncoming traffic will frequently swerve into your lane to avoid potholes. Therefore, not only do you need to watch where the scooters and pedestrians are, but you need to look ahead at the road, spot a pothole and estimate if oncoming traffic will be swerving into your lane in an attempt to avoid it.

When you go through a town, usually there will be no traffic signal or stop sign and just some shacks on the sides of the road. People will gongregate and spill into the roadway. The larger towns have concrete buildings and more people. Basically you need to slow down when you drive through a town because people will walk into the road or just stand on the side of the road, or someone on a motorscooter will just dart across the road (sometimes without looking).

When it comes to driving, the rules are often ignored. European driving is closer to Dominican driving than American driving is. What I mean by this is that in Europe you often have small roads and weak vehicles that need passing. Drivers often pass, which forces them into oncoming traffic, but that oncoming traffic will slow down or pull to the side of the road to make room, whereas in America most drivers would not budge an inch and only lay on the horn.

Speaking about horns, get used to hitting it. The Dominican Republic is mountainous and often has blind corners and turns. Just prior to and while driving in such a corner, drivers often tap the horn to alert oncoming drivers of their presence (such oncoming drivers may often be in the middle of the road to avoid potholes). Also, when you are passing a scooter it is advisable to tap the horn if they are not on the far right side of the road because they may move over to make room. Also, sometimes (especially if you are in town) the scooter driver may be making a left turn and may not look behind him, which is quite dangerous, but it happens.

Also, many people walk on the sides of the roads. This is not much of a problem during the day, but at night it is very dangerous. Driving at night is very dangerous in general, and the longer the distance, the more dangerous. I drove from San Francisco to Las Terrenas in the dark and I would try everything in my power to never do that again. I had read many postings about not driving at dark and I laughed. I have driven all over the world and I consider myself a good defensive driver, but I would really caution anyone (myself included) against driving at night for any distance more than several kilometers unless it was a matter of life and death.

There is much livestock and wild animals that you need to watch out for because they can often wander into the roadways. I have encountered cows, horses, donkeys, wild pigs, wild goats, and chickens, and I have almost struck a few of these with my rental car.

Also, when there is road work, rather than seeing machines rub by generators which make a large arrow directing traffic into the right or left lane, you will usually see barrels lined up forcing the traffic where it is wanted and the first barrel encountered will usually have a flame on it (a can filled with a diesel and oil mixture set on fire I believe).

Now the dirt roads. Yes, many smaller roads are dirt. They are very bad after it rains hard because there are many many potholes and you do not know the depth of them when they are underwater.

Also there are some steep side roads. Some of these are so steep that non 4X4 vehicles cannot traverse them. All in all, I took my car almost everywhere that I wanted to. It was a V6, which is helpful in this mountainous country.

Hmm, what else? Oh yes, most cities have no traffic lights and no stop signs. In some cities that actually have traffic lights, the lights do not work at all.

Also, if you are renting the car, make certain you mark down every single mark or scratch that the car has on it, especially if there is any mark on the windshield. When you return the vehicle they will have one OR TWO men who go over the car with a fine tooth comb, looking for marks, hoping to make money on you. They may even try to rush you when you first get the car. They may fill out the form themselves and leave off some marks or scratches. Go over the car yourself and confirm that each scratch is on that form. If not, make then add it. Make sure to look for scratches on the rims and even the tires themselves, and the bumpers and mirrors. Also before you leave the rental agency, make sure the gas tank is full because you will be expected to return it full, and eyeball the tires to make sure they are fully inflated, and double check to make sure that your rental not only has a spare tire AND JACK, but also that the tire is inflated.

When you drive expect to get lost. Most roads are poorly marked or not marked at all. If you are lucky, you will spot a sign like this telling you which way to turn:

You will have to ask for directions in Spanish, as 99% of the people that I approached spoke ONLY Spanish (no English, no Italian, no German, etc.). A basic level of Spanish is fine, but make sure you know how to ask such things as: Donde esta el camino a ___ Which/where is the way to __(insert city here)___; I am looking for ____; Where is ___. Then make sure that you can understand most of the standard responses such as ?to/on the right,? ?to/on the left,? ?straight ahead,? ?around the corner? etc. Even if you know absolutely no Spanish, you should be able to learn these basics quickly. However, unless you are staying at an all-inclusive resort where they cater to English speakers, I would not advise anyone visit the Dominican Republic if you do not have a basic understanding of Spanish. I have visited over 50 countries and speak other languages. I have only studied Spanish for 8 months and I got by fine in the D.R., but I hardly spoke any English during my trip.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good post that needs just a bit of editing.

It should be " congregate" not gongregate.
"...rub by generators" should be "run by..." (I know, a finger slip).

There might be one more.

However, this is an excellent post and should become a "sticky" for anyone that thinks about driving here in the DR.

Good job, if a bit pessimistic regarding communications.....no big deal..

HB

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Safe Driving

This is a very good and comprehensive report.

To this

...I was able to get my rental car up to 140 km/hr on one vacant stretch.

I'd only want to add one remark:
You should not.
Because of the many potholes and other tyre damaging environment (I once had a bicycle/moped spoke in one of my tyres) one can easily have a tyre blow up. At higher speeds you surely would not want that....

m'frog

MizCreant

Jul 6, 2006
Thanks for the report DavidM. We will be renting a vehicle during our January trip and the road, rental and driving tips will be remembered. Enjoyed the photos too.

Miz

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Hi DavidM,
Great trip report & an excellent reference for first timers considering driving in DR. And as for not fully believing some advice you've read earlier about driving at night, sometimes seeing is believing :) It can be done, but it is dangerous outside of the cities. BTW, did you post as 'superman' on another website when you were considering this trip? If so, hope the advice received there was helpful. Reading your report sounded a lot like the advice given to 'superman' a couple of months ago.

What about general impressions of the country? As excellent a write up as this was, I'd love to read more about your trip.

Hillbilly,
The communication issue has a lot to do with one's comfort level, I think. First time visitors/drivers are going to feel much less secure than those who speak Spanish or those who don't speak Spanish but have spent time in DR and know what to expect.

CommTHOR

Nov 7, 2005
The fact that the local road signs are sponsored by the Brugal Rum company goes a long way in saying how the driving in the Dominican Republic is...

I crisscrossed South-East Asia with a motorcycle, but I'd still be hesitant to try it in the D.R. May be my older age has numbed my fear of death though...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Just drove the road between Jarabacoa and Constanza. The road is for the most part very narrow with plenty of blind corners. You could probably navigate in a small car, but i would recomend a 4x4. The traffic is light, but there are trucks loaded with vegetable and fruit that take up a good portion of the road so be very careful on the blind corners and go slow. The scenery is fantastic with some beautiful vistas. It takes approx 21/2 hours to get to Constanza which is a little small and less busy than Jarabacoa. Huge vegetable farms everywhere. The streets are wide and well laid out, which is a change from most Dominican towns. On to Agua Blanca(waterfull) which is another 30 kms higher into the mountains from Constanza. The start of this road goes through the Japanese colony and the road goes through a slum for about 1/2 a mile that makes you think you are going in the wrong direction. The road is ok(gravel and rock) for the next 10 km but the last 15 km to the waterfall is extremly rough, fun if you have driven on logging roads while hunting and like that sort of thing. Waterfalls were nice and the water was very cold. I would recommmend travelling from Jarabacoa to Constanza if you are into sightseeing and phototaking, but not up to the waterfalls. We were back in Jarabacoa by 5 pm after stopping for a beer and snack in Constanza. This is a road that any north American could attempt.

Everett

Jun 8, 2006
Great report. I don't enjoy driving anywhere much less in the DR. I'm a huge fan of guagua's and taxi's.
But if one must this is most informative.
Put that man's drink on my tab!

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
I rented a car and drove my wife and 3 kids all over Puerto Plata, to Santiago to buy a bunch of furniture and appliances, to another town between Cabarete and Riu San Juan and had no problem with it. The most intense was on a Saturday night around 10 o'clock in POP where there were cars and bikes zooming all around you and it was crazy but entertaining!
At one point I said to my wife "Ok, it's your turn to drive" and she wanted nothing to do with that suggestion! Sure the roads can't be compared to Canada's awesome roads and highways but over all, I would say that they are typical Caribbean roads.
Just enjoy the ride!
Steve

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
DavidM,

A very good report over all but I have one complaint concerning the statements. In the last paragrph you said,

"However, unless you are staying at an all-inclusive resort where they cater to English speakers, I would not advise anyone visit the Dominican Republic if you do not have a basic understanding of Spanish."

I must disagreed with that statement. Having lived here for 10 years and being in an area of the DR where there are no tourists or other foreigners living I can say that people have a tendency to be able to communicate without language and a lot of Dominicans understand a little English which further enhances the ability to communicate.

Rick

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Very good report but I would like to add my 2 pesos.

What about insurance coverage?

From my visits I see no problem going anywhere in the DR with a lack of spanish speaking skills.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Wow, never did see any big rocks when we drove. It was the first and only time we rented a car for a week and yes, we got lost in Santiago and yes, we don't speak spanish but think it's a wonderful language and to tell you the truth, we had a blast and we kept feeling like we were in the amazing race!
I guess it's all about your attitude toward the whole experience.
Steve from Toronto

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
DavidM... EXCELLENT post... great primer for anyone renting a car or driving in the DR for the first time.

There was another post about the road from Jarabacoa to Constanza... I'd love to see a thread with favorite day trips/overnights with travel directions, especially specific road conditions or areas that need to be looked out for...

DavidM

Jun 29, 2006
Watch out if your goin to San Fransisco they have horrendous roads.

Yes, a couple of the pictures of bad roads in my post were taken just outside of San Fran. As for some other comments, I only went 140kph for about 10 seconds and it was on the Autopista about 20 minutes outside of Santo Domingo. Once you get off of the Autopista, there simply is no way that you can drive that fast and you should consider yourself lukcy if you get near 110kph and when you do, you need to really look carefully at the road far ahead of you because a HUGE pothole can just appear out of nowhere. Overall, the driving is quite stressful, even for experienced and accomplished drivers.

Also, I did not pay for the rental car insurance but I wished that I had because it would not be too difficult to damage the car from simply driving and hitting a pothole that you failed to see, or if a scooter hits your car, which nearly happened several times to me.

As for the language issue, I have traveled extensively and I have been to many locations where I did not speak the native language. Many places someone that you meet will speak English or you can get buy with body language. However, once you leave the major tourist areas in the DR, there are many many people who do not know a single word of English and because the roads are so easy to get lost on, it is pretty much a given that you will have to ask for directions multiple times, and my basic level of Spanish made that much easier, but it is still possible if you don't speak any Spanish, but significantly harder and time consuming. Get a good detailed map before you start driving at all. I ordered a detailed road map for about $12 from the internet before I even flew down to the DR.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
DavidM I understand what you are saying but I must redirect you to your OP whereas you said, "I would not advise anyone visit the Dominican Republic if you do not have a basic understanding of Spanish".

Your words would indicate that if a person doesn't have a basic understanding of Spanish that they SHOULD NOT visit the DR UNLESS they stay in an AI.

This is the point that I was disagreeing to in your OP. A person doesn't need to know any Spanish to visit this fine country and they don't have to stay in an AI. That is all that I was trying to point out.

Other then that I wish to thank you again for a wonderful OP.

Rick

Edited to add;

I am speaking from a perspective of having arrived here 10 years ago without knowing any Spanish and have been here ever since and I've never lived in a tourist area here.

Clampett 1

Aug 11, 2006
Here is a few words of wisdom in regards to driving in the DR. I just came back from a 10 day vacation there and I drove all over the country from SD all the way to the Haitian border.
Make sure that you either have insurance on the car or that the Credit car company you use covers your car rental insurance, which most do. I had to call mine to make sure if my car was covered and it was.
Remember not to be shy when driving, specially in SD. Driving there, its every man for himself. Don't worry about traffic rules there are none. Just have a few pesos nearby and you'll be all set. If you like driving crazy, you will have no problem there.

I was driving down a very narrow one way street in SD once and it was so narrow that I had to be careful not to heat the houses on the side. At one point I look over to my (right) and I see another car passing me and driving a lot faster than me (on the right).....Incredible.

Joel Gomez
Leominster, MA

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
What in the world would you want to do that for?

"I was driving down a very narrow one way street in SD once and it was so narrow that I had to be careful not to heat the houses on the side."

Glad you were careful....already hot enough as it is!