Canadian woman murdered in Santo Domingo not PP!

R

Roseanne

Ok first of all the Canadian lady owned a small resort in Santo Domingo not Puerto Plata!! Yes these things happen everywhere but more to tourists in poor country because the poor locals think you have cash. You half to pay attention and always be on alert! Common sense is all it is!

J

jim

Re: Canadian woman murdered in Santo Domingo not P

Sorry Roseanne, but it was Puerto Plata (Province). Sosua, P.P to be exact. Hotel Nueva Sol not exactly a resort but a small local hotel. None of this of coarse changes the fact that this tragic event occurred. There has been runours in Sosua that the person involved was known by the lady but so far it is only unfounded rumours.

S

SPANKY

Re: Canadian woman murdered in SOSOUA

YES, ROSEANNE, it happened in Sosoua, NOT Santo Domingo but that really does not make any difference does it. She is just as dead. As stated earlier; most victims of homicide KNOW their assailants. It is rare that a stranger murders another stranger. And in defense of Dominicans...some low lifes may rob you but it is rare that they will do bodily harm, especially to the tourist sector. Guess they feel you will soon be gone so why bother with a murder.

T

Tom

Bodily Harm

I want to add a comment to ex-pats getting robbed in their homes and not receiving bodily harm. I was attacked as I lay in bed sleeping in 1998. This happened outside Sosua in a house off the beaten path. They were looking for money and got around US$500 I am lucky to be alive and received blows to my head and a broken leg. I have spoken to a Swiss couple and 2 different canadians who had similiar incidents in the last few years. If you start to ask around you will find that the number of private home owners who live around Sosua and Caberete who have been robbed, is high. Often times when they are at home. I have heard that a group of people from Sosua have recently approcached the police in Santiago to provide better protection for foreigns who live and work in Sosua. Tourists and people who live in places with security are fine. I would be very hesitent to live in a private home on the outskirts of town without security, dogs and maybe a gun. Most of us from other countries appriciate being away from the noise and activity in the streets every once in a while.

E

ECH, M.D.

Re: Bodily Harm

If I may also add additional comments. It is NOT just ex pats who are being robbed but ANYONE who is perceived to have money or valuables. I have several Dominican friends who have undergone the same type of robbery and bodily harm you describe. Unfortunately there are those who do not have who feel it is OK to steal and rob from those of us who do have. Unfortunately, this is a problem that is world wide and not just isolated to small poor countries. I had a friend who lived in Santo Domingo and after the THIRD armed robbery of his house, he departed the country but it is interesting to note that ALL the robbers were known to the victim. Service type people.

T

Tom

I still don't know who did it to me. I was told by a friend who was there for the New Year that people in the community know who did it to me but no one is talking yet.

E

ECH, M.D.

Oh that's understandable. If you want to know the details and who did it....JUST CROSS THEIR PALM WITH SILVER and you can find out all you want to know. But get the information BEFORE you turn loose of the money. Just like my friend, he had to PAY the police to investigate his robbery. Interesting system. Sometimes it is wise NOT to know who was involved in the crime. It was very carefully explained to me by our Embassy that once you identify the criminal, YOU THEN BECOME A TARGET. Just like the fellow on the hijacked Indian airliner who pulled off his blindfold and they killed him.

T

Tom

The police wanted RD$3000 to investigate the crime. My friend was negociating with them while I lay in the clinic. They brought in about 10 people in the area who had records, to beat them and try to get information from them. The second day ended in no payoff so nothing else done. I didn't want innocent people rounded up because they had done something in the past. Dominicans think it is a pretty good system.

C

cjw

Tom are you nuts???? Why would a gringo or anyone in the DR keep $500.00 where an intruder could "easily" get it. If it was my cash this story would be more colourfull!!!If anyone thinks that this is NY or LA where you can drop 500 at lunch, you should know that 500.00 US can pay the wages of an excellent homemaker/maid/friend/cook...for about 8-10months.Get your self together....

N

nobodys fool

Who the hell would want to live in a country where you have to pay the police to investigate a crime perpetrated on you.

G

Re: Bodily Harm/nobody's fool...

Hey do you think that because we so much bloody tax in north America that whenever we call the cops we get our money's worth? HUH! I doubt that very much.Don't get me wrong and I don't condone bribes (propina)but at least when you pay a cop in the DR you usually get your moneys worth,the bottom line is it's just another form of tax....think about it.

C

CES

Read "DR1 Daily News"

DR1 Daily News A

Tuesday, 4 January 2000

Canadian hotelier found dead in Sosua

The body of 40-year old Anny Marie Marit, general manager and co-owner of the

Hotel Nuevo Amanecer in Sosua, was found in the No. 10 room of the hotel where

she resided. An employee of the hotel found the body. The corpse showed

bruises, contusions and a neck wound. A guest of the hotel, fellow Canadian

Pierre Danau, who resides in room No. 20, who spoke to her around 12 midnight,

last saw Marit alive. At the time she was accompanied by a person she identified

as Felix whom she told Danau she had just hired him as a night watchman. The

so-called Felix has not been able to be located by the Police, and he is suspect as

the murderer. The Homicide Department of the Police of Sosua arrested 12

persons for investigations, including several hotel employees. According to the

police, the murder would have occurred at 12:30 am of yesterday.

M

Me

you express that you would like better police protection for foreigners. this problem happens to locals too, and I would hope that you would want better policing for all people, and better of community for all would engender a spirit of brotherhood which would be the antidote to the spirit of "dog-eat-dog" that now exists.

T

Tom

I do not disagree. The Dominicans I know prefer to sleep with fairly large numbers of people in their home and close to other homes. Some have guns in the home and feel safe. Foreigners sometimes live by themselves in areas where there are not neighbors right next to you. The way people I know have been violated in their own homes happens a great deal more to us not from the DR. My hope is that all people are able to put the head on their pillow at night and not worry about someone appearing above you clubbing you as you lay there.

T

Tom

I was living and working in the Sosua area. I cashed checks in a secure place across from our office. $500 is not a lot of money and is what I budgeted myself for the month ( it was in pesos). The people who do this sort of thing are looking for more. People who are willing to go to work every day and earn RD$3000/month don't go around and rob people. I had lived in this house for 9 months and had contact with the community for more than 10 years. It was unfortunate and I am more careful now. I been living between NYC and the DR for 13 years now and have a pretty good idea of how to watch my back. Bad luck, my dog didn't bark and I refused to have a gun in my home, otherwise 2 guys would have been dead.

T

Tom

You can read in today's Hoy, at www.hoy.com about an article concerning violence in the tourist areas. It is in Spanish.

N

nobodys fool

So you say that I can get my money,s worth by paying the police to arrest you on false charges. Get real. Is that the kind of government you like to live under. You must have lived a charmed life that have had nobody put some shit on you, perjaps if you foot was on the other shoe you would think different.

T

Tania

Another Canadian in Boca Chica

According to the six o'clock news here in Montreal, another Canadian was murdered on Sunday in Boca Chica. The only information that was given is that it was a man from the Eastern Townships. Apparently it was the 7th murder of a Canadian there since 1995. A few people were interviewed on their reactions to this, and they all seemed discouraged about travelling to the DR. Personally, I agree that it is a tragedy, but everybody has to realize that violence is present everywhere in the world , and it should not keep people from travelling and experiencing the beauty and culture of the DR.

G

Do you think that North American cops don't plant things on people or arrest people under false charges??? GIVE YOUR HEAD A GOOD SHAKE BUDDY!

N

nobodys fool

Guest, don,t be a dip shit, I answered your posting if you care to read it in reference that you said about paying the cops and getting your money,s worth for them to investigate a crime perpetrated on you. Planting evidence by cops according to your last posting ain,t got shit to do between your first posting and my answer to it. So don,t throw oranges in a barrel of apples. Get your shit together. Now if you want to talk about cops planting evidence any where in the world, thats fine, but if you are advocating paying cops in the DR to investigate a crime. That is two different issues.