This Rum is otta sight

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I am not the biggest fan of rum but I got to say I am drinking a Rum that got to be something very special. Last week passing thru duty free one of the girls convinced me to buy Barcelo Imperial. The bottle shape is very distintive and it comes packaged in a very slick glossy box. 700ml at 76 proof. its smooth, mellow, and not like any kind of rum I have had in the past. Paid $28 for it and I am sure I will now be told I paid too much-but mann is this stuff good.

JOHN

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I am not the biggest fan of rum but I got to say I am drinking a Rum that got to be something very special. Last week passing thru duty free one of the girls convinced me to buy Barcelo Imperial. The bottle shape is very distintive and it comes packaged in a very slick glossy box. 700ml at 76 proof. its smooth, mellow, and not like any kind of rum I have had in the past. Paid $28 for it and I am sure I will now be told I paid too much-but mann is this stuff good.

JOHN
Welcome to the Land of Great Rum. There are many different types and flavors it's hard to have just one favorite.

My personal favorite, by far, is Haitian Barbancourt 5-star. Fantastic on the rocks, like liquid velvet. Needs nothing, but it's not cheap.

Another personal favorite rum for sipping and mixing is Siboney Red Label, and it's modestly priced.

But tastes and opinions vary...

All blessings...

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Try brugal 151 about 300 peso?

Welcome to the Land of Great Rum. There are many different types and flavors it's hard to have just one favorite.

My personal favorite, by far, is Haitian Barbancourt 5-star. Fantastic on the rocks, like liquid velvet. Needs nothing, but it's not cheap.

Another personal favorite rum for sipping and mixing is Siboney Red Label, and it's modestly priced.

But tastes and opinions vary...

All blessings...

http://www.rum.cz/galery/cam/do/brugal/

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
We have many threads dedicated to the rum wars.
Welcome to D.R johne, how long have you been coming here to this island?
I can't believe you have just figured this out now, I guess when you mingle with barrio tigres you only get to drink brugal.
AZB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Johne: You have just discovered sliced bread!!

That is my own personal favorite. However, there are other fine rums here for your imbibing pleasure.
Brugal Añejo is a regular priced rum that mixes very well.
Siboney Red Label is close to a sippin' rum at a regular price.

Ron Bermúdez Blanco is great for mixing Daiqueries.

You might try that Imperial with a good quality orange juice...delicious!!

Welcome.....

Oh yeah, Barbancourt 3 star, and five star are very good rums. They also have a 16 year old rum that is just outstanding.

HB

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I can't believe you have just figured this out now, I guess when you mingle with barrio tigres you only get to drink brugal.
AZB

He did say he was not the biggest fan of rum.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Oh yeah, Barbancourt 3 star, and five star are very good rums. They also have a 16 year old rum that is just outstanding.

HB
Where might I find some of that, Luis? I have quite the rum collection at my bar (www.geckospub.com) that I give shots to customers, since I can't sell it. To the pedestrian American even cheap Dominican, Haitian and Jamaican rums seem exotic. Heck, some of my customers think Captain Morgan is exotic!

Everett

Jun 8, 2006
I too like the Barbancourt - but the dark aged one. It is a fine old Haitian product.
Of course, Havana Club is liquid gold.
Both are, to me, pricy in the DR.
My preference for my daily mamajuana jugs is the Brugal Anejo.
I once had a lead from a supplier on a supposed 21 year old rum but the guy and the rum proved elusive. Has anyone else had such a thing?
I am told that, often, dark rums are simply colored with something like molasses. I seem to notice a taste difference though.
I like my rum with coffee --- at 8AM! And with a copy of Listin Diario.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Barcelo Imperial is my favorite among Dominican rums for sipping. It has a subtle almost vanilla taste at the back. I like it as much as Barbancourt. If you fly in and out of Haiti, the Barbancourt company has a small stand in the airport there where you can buy the five star bottle for $7; the aged stuff is also available at a good price.

Cobraboy, if you want a complete selection of rum you should also stock Gosling's, a dark rum like Myers but much better. And there is Demerara rum from the British Caribbean isles, Antigua chief among them, that beats all of these. That is like sipping fine cognac.

Jun 5, 2004
In my personal opinion Rum is very good. When it comes to Dominican Rum I like to keep it simple one that you can find in any colmado BRUGAL EXTRA VIEJO.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Try this.

Five parts coconut water.
Two parts your favorite white rum.
One shot-glass anisette.

Combine ingredients and shake. Pour over crushed ice in tall glass. Enjoy.
Guaranteed to smooth out kinks and repel mosquitos.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I wish they

AZB

would serve me EVEN that. More like local water right out of their well.
Oh, well when you don't know any difference...
JOHN

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
I was told that 95% of the rum made in the Dominican is drank by Dominicans.
I feel so lucky that that somehow that small percentage finds it way to Canada!
To me Brugal blanco is the best rum EVER! Recently I tried a rum from Nicaragua called black label and was blown away. Nothing has compared to Brugal except this one. I will still stick to old faithful Brugal even though the one they have here just east of Toronto is the golden colour. I wish I could find tropicana orange juice easier in the DR because Brugal and Tropicana on ice is my preference. Now that we have a place in Cabarete, I will try harder to find it but when we all inclusive it, even at a 5 star, the juices are kinda lame. I would like to try that Haitian rum, just don't want to go there to try it!
Long live Brugal
Steve

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Tamborista
Even better! I will agree. I'll by the rum and you can buy the fresh fruit and supply the juicer. I think the rum will be cheaper! lol
We can sit by my pool and decide between the 2 which is preferred! Maybe even have some frozen strawberries and frozen bananas with the silver bullet would be pretty pailess too!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Playero in Sosua and Janet's in Cabarete (supermercados) sell pre-packaged pint (I think) containers of fresh squeezed oj, but I havent tried it... At La Sirena, they squeeze it right there.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Iv'e been to Janet's many times but wasn't really looking for fresh sqeezed at that moment. I will check it next time I go to my villa. I am going to do a look see to find La Sirena.
Thanks,
Steve