tension between Dominicans and Puerto Ricans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
all i wanna know is where did i8t start and why? i mean the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico are pretty much the same both have similar histories both speak the same language they both in almost the same conditions we do so why all the hate? (and no im not trying to spark a hate thread here in DR1)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Here in Tampa we have large PR and (pre-boatlift) Cuban communities.

The local "joke" goes like this: The difference between a PR and a Cuban is if you call a Cuban a PRan, he gets really angry; if you call a PRan a Cuban, he'll slice you...

;)

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Joshua R,

I can understand your desire to understand where i8t started and why. As I have no idea as to what i8t is I can't help you and I don't think I will ask as to what it is.

Though you state you don't want to start a "hate" thread that is exactly what you are doing and I will nip it in the bud before it starts.

Rick

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As a moderator, I don't like these agruments

I doubt that there is really than much tension between the two sets of emigrants.
Many Puerto Ricans, integrated in the system, educated, at least bilingual, some with just English, have begun the upward mobility associated with emigrant groups in general, over time.
Dominicans, more recent arrivals, have supplanted the Puerto Ricans in many of the job slots throughout New York City, and the Puerto Ricans have moved further afield (as was reported in a thread on "bodegas").
The Lower East Side is no longer a Puerto Rican enclave. It now has a large Dominican population. Upper Manhattan, never a Puerto Rican "barrio" has become "Little Santo Domingo". Parts of Queens are known as "Sabana Church" for the large number of people from Sabana Iglesia (near Santiago) that have moved there. Puerto Ricans were never an important segment of either of these areas.

That said, there are many rivalries between emigrant groups, but that does not necessarily mean violence.

If you have something serious, non-inflamatory to add, send me a PM.

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.