Best quality+price restaurant value in Santo Domingo

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Peppinos (Pastoriza between Tiradentes & Lope de Vega, next door to Taboo Bamboo) has been written about previously on this site. They are an Italian themed Argentinian restaurant. The normal menu prices are very reasonable for the quality of the food IMHO. THey are running a Monday night special of 1/2 price food and drinks (including alcohol!). They also have the new Quilmes brand of Argentinian beer that reminds me of a German lager like Krombacher - but that's for another thread. They have another branch in Bella Vista.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Do they serve argentinan steak? Churrasco? BTW Quilmes was purchased by ambev. . . .the same folks that brought us Brahma.

Last edited by a moderator:

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
think there are a couple of steak type things

Do they serve argentinan steak? Churrasco? BTW Quilmes was purchased by ambev. . . .the same folks that brought us Brahma.

If that's what you are looking for I would probably recommend Asador Antonio instead on Cesar Nicolas Penson between Gomez and Tiradentes, closer to Tiradentes.

cheers

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Mariscos El Baron

Mariscos El Baron
Avenida Bolivar & Doctor Delgado

Dinner for 2 - $875RD
Mero filet Creole style
Shrimp Creole style
Shrimp cocktail
2 Prezs
2 Agua

A very nice restaurant located within walking distance of Parque Independencia. When I received the bill I was a bit surprised as I am used to spending $1500RD at similar restaurants.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Yep I have been to Antonios a bunch of time and Asadero Argentina on independencia as well. My fave in the DR and actually probably the best Argentinean restaurant food wise I have ever been to is Che Tango in Santiago.

If that's what you are looking for I would probably recommend Asador Antonio instead on Cesar Nicolas Penson between Gomez and Tiradentes, closer to Tiradentes.

cheers

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Off Feb 27th, in the plaza across the street from the big Shell gas station/car wash. We ate there last Tuesday night. Very, very good, just as rafael said it would be.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
At Che Tango the owner himself cooks over the wood fire. I have a buddy who is married to an argentinean lady. I have eaten at a bunch of argentinean restaurants and even shot some video of the president of argentina when he visited Boca Juniors steak house in queens NY.

Che Tango is the best I have been to. I have eaten there my last 3 nights in Santiago. The first night it was incredible. The second night very, very good but not equal to the first. The third time pretty close to the first night.

They know how to get the outside of the steak just slighly crispy but leave the inside tender and juicy. . . . now I am hungry just writing this! It's a good thing I am in texas and will get my fix of BBQ in a few short hours!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
A few recommendations for good, reasonably priced food:

Dominican: Meson di Bari... beautiful converted home with alot of art on the walls on Calle Hostos, 1 block off El Conde, Colonial Zone

Churasco: Charlie's... indoor/outdoor "local"-type place on side stree east of the Intercontinental Hotel, between the Malecon and Ave. Indepencia

Spanish/Seafood: Don Pepe - beautiful restaurant with great, fresh seafood on the side street west of the Intercontinental, 1 block north of Indepencia

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
best quality price restaurant in sd

I eat at Meson di Bari. most of the time as I live on the corner there...had a filet steak the other night...was just right...5 of us ate with 2 bottles of wine...for 4000 pesos...and a couple of drinks also,,,
bob

Yamasa Bound

Oct 22, 2006
If you were to stop at any little restaurant place to get a lunch what would that cost in Dollars? Not a fancy place just some Mom and Pop type place to eat. I prefer the family run places to chains etc.. Like I like to go to Mexico now and get lunch and it costs about $10 but the Peso is 10 to $1 and near the border they have US prices for everything almost. Thanks for the info, I am trying to see how much it will cost me to live there as compared to what I spend here. I eat lunch out about 5 days a week here..There I do intend to have a cook so may eat at home alot more! LOL Thanks, Pam

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Many "Comida Tipicos" and other small restaurants have a "plato del dia" (plate of the day). It usually consists of beef, chicken, pork chops, or fish...with rice, beans and/or salad. Most places charge from 75-100 pesos...less than $3 US.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Hello Pam,

Welcome to DR1, your "everything you every wanted to know about the DR" message board.

You will also find that the dinner meal can sometimes run you a little more but as DavidZ said it should cost about US$3 to 3.50 for the meal.

As your husband is Dominican and you will be close or with his family I think you will find that food will be no problem.

The problem I forsee is learning to adjust to the taste of some of the dishes unless your husband has already handled that. As an example the plantino was a little difficult for me at first as it started out with a sand texture to my mouth but that was me. Now I eat them with no problems and love them.

Rick

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
The best business lunch value I have found in Santo Domingo, is inside Mega Centro in Santo Domingo East, located at the corner of Ave. San Vicente and Ave Mella. I don't know the name of the place, but you enter the mall through the primary entance that faces this intersection (during the week, at lunchtime, there are usually lots of empty spaces right out in front).

Enter the front, go up the escalator to the second floor, and the restaurant is on the right side at the top (the place may be called GameWorks). As you enter, they have a ton of kids gaming machines on the right, and a sports bar on the left.

You can get a large, healthy sandwich, french fries, unlimited soft drinks, and an ice cream for dessert, all for about RD$165. They also give you a one hour coupon for free games for your kids for the weekend.

The best thing to me is that it is quiet enough to hold a business conversation, the waitresses attend you promptly, and you can actually get in and out in about 45 minutes.

(and while this may be a good idea of a business lunch for a business OWNER, it may not be for some manager/employee who is on an expense account and expects a $3000 bottle of wine and lots of fawning by the help, as he enjoys his 3 hour lunch)