used car

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
hello,
I was wondering, if I buy a used car, is there some way that I can check if he car is not stolen or is without any debt?
Thank You

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Part of the process of buying a car now involves obtaining a Police certificate stating that the car being transferred is not stolen. This Police certificate must be presented in order to transfer the matricula (ownership document of the vehicle) and pay the transfer taxes. If a vehicle is under a loan, the matricula will either be in the name of the true owner or the person giving the loan will be holding the matricula.

Also, once you have your new vehicle, NEVER keep the original matricula in your vehicle. Put it in a lockbox, and keep a copy of this document in the vehicle instead.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Copies of car/etc data.

Part of the process of buying a car now involves obtaining a Police certificate stating that the car being transferred is not stolen. This Police certificate must be presented in order to transfer the matricula (ownership document of the vehicle) and pay the transfer taxes. If a vehicle is under a loan, the matricula will either be in the name of the true owner or the person giving the loan will be holding the matricula.

Also, once you have your new vehicle, NEVER keep the original matricula in your vehicle. Put it in a lockbox, and keep a copy of this document in the vehicle instead.

Excellent advice! The same goes for copies of your Drivers Licence, Passport and insurance data including the Cel phone number of your Agent in case of an accident....Canadian Bob.