Traveller's CHQs

verbyl.belch

Aug 20, 2006
Hi all

My two week trip to the DR is looming (14/09 - hoping for god weather, no hurricanes....) and i need to ask (which may be a silly question) whether Amex (Am. Expres) Travellers CHQs are widely accepted in the DR, the hotels at least.

We have decided to convert ?GBP to $USD here in the UK and then convert into peso as much as we need, when we need it. That sound like a good plan? I know ?GBP can be sed but $USD may seem to be the currency of choice, for tipping etc??

Cheers

VB

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Using cash will get you a much better exchange rate. You can also use your home country bank card to withdraw money in the area where you are staying. Bring a couple hundred dollars in U.S. money and then just take out whatever else you need from a bank machine.

U.S. dollars are definitely preferred as tips by hotel staff, etc. However, if you have pesos left over and want to use them, anyone is, of course, glad to get those as well.

KeithUK

Feb 8, 2006
Changing Money

As already suggested by Fiesta Mama I always take US dollars and get my pesos out of the cash machines, sometimes the exchange rate is even better than in the UK. In the past I have also changed British ?,s and Travelers Cheques without any problems but US dollars are better as they appear to be accepted everywhere in the tourist areas.
Hope you enjoy your holiday, I cant wait for my next visit on 26th October.
Regards
Keith

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
You can also use your home country bank card to withdraw money in the area where you are staying. Bring a couple hundred dollars in U.S. money and then just take out whatever else you need from a bank machine.

That's exactly what I do each trip. Only thing I bring a second bank card from a different bank just in case the ATM gets hungry and swallows my card without giving it back.

KeithUK

Feb 8, 2006
That's exactly what I do each trip. Only thing I bring a second bank card from a different bank just in case the ATM gets hungry and swallows my card without giving it back.

Good Point Bigbird, It happened to me 2 years ago Semana Santa Week and I had to wait 3 days until the bank opened to get my card back, I had to use my credit card to get money from another machine.
Regards
Keith

verbyl.belch

Aug 20, 2006
Hi, thanks for the replies

So, are travellers chqs widely accepted? We're weary of taking all our holiday money as cash just in case it gets lost and then our holiday would be ruined.

And if not how common are cash machines? Are they in the towns/resorts? I'm off to an AI in Bahibye.(sp?)

Cheers

VB