Driving from SDQ to Santo Domingo

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I will be renting a car from Alamo at SDQ. Can someone provide me with driving directions to Santo Domingo. Once I make it to Parque Independencia or Avenedia George Washington I should be able to find my way to the hotel.

I have made the trip several times in a taxi and I remember there are a couple of tricky turns you must make. The most vivid turn is a left across the highway. I need landmarks so I will be aware of the upcoming turns.

I will also be making a day trip to Playa Boca Chica. I believe the route is head towards the airport and keep going. I need to know where the turn off is for Playa Boca Chica.

Thanks........

I will be renting a car from Alamo at SDQ. Can someone provide me with driving directions to Santo Domingo. Once I make it to Parque Independencia or Avenedia George Washington I should be able to find my way to the hotel.

I have made the trip several times in a taxi and I remember there are a couple of tricky turns you must make. The most vivid turn is a left across the highway. I need landmarks so I will be aware of the upcoming turns.

I will also be making a day trip to Playa Boca Chica. I believe the route is head towards the airport and keep going. I need to know where the turn off is for Playa Boca Chica.

Thanks........

Malecon (George washington) very easy make left coming out of airport, go straight till first overpass (Charles de Gaulle) make right turn as you go under overpass this puts you on espana take this till you pass the naval base and you will see the flotilla bridge to your left and just on other side is the malecon.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

Thanks........
Another way of reaching the malecon is the following:

1. As you exit the airport follow the sign for Santo Domingo. You will go on an overpass and it will place you west bound on autopista Las Americas. Have some money on hand for the toll.

2. Drive on the left lane all the way into the city. You will pass through a tunnel and afterwards over a white staid cable bridge (known as Juan Bosch bridge). Once you cross the bridge you are officially in Santo Domingo centro.

3. Once in Santo Domingo continue on either of the 2 left lanes. Those lanes will take you to an overpass expressway which speeds you over the crowded Villa Francisca and Mejoramiento Social neighborhoods.

4. Once on the expressway make sure you remain on the right lane, once the overpass finishes turn onto the right lane which will avoid you going into the other tunnel ahead.

5. At the first major intersection, turn left. You will be on Avenida Maximo Gomez. Drive the avenue all the way until you see the Caribbean sea and a palm lined avenue. That avenue is the Malecon.

It sounds complicated, but it really is a simple drive.

-NALs

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Those are good directions, and very specific but.......
if you turn in the wrong place, no need to panic and retrace your route. Just keep in mind that the Avenida de Las Americas runs East/West, parallel to the Malecon. As you come from the airport you are going west, and need to make your way South, which will be to your left, to get to the malecon. As long as you can maintain that orientation and head South, you will get there. It is an island after all.;)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks for the route(s)

Thanks to everyone. Funny when you ride in a taxi you see and don't see. Sooner or later I know I will have to rent a car and start driving in SDO so this will be my maiden voyage. Once I make it to the Malecon I should be fine. I have walked SDO plenty of times so I am somewhat familiar with my whereabouts. I walked from Plaza Espana to Maximo Gomez to the Malecon and back.

Thanks again!

One other thing, I will get all insurance coverage from Alamo.