who will be the next president, and why?

rich17

May 1, 2006
i don't think leonel would risk alienating himself from the PLD by bidding for another term.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Well, rich, there are Leonelistas and then there are PeLeDeistas, and it's gonna be fun.

If Leonel doesn't run, will he throw his support to PRSC-Aristy? It sounds impossible now, but...

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Nobody does it better!

Than Leonel! To my knowledge, there has never been a more effective president than he. For the sake of our country's future, I sure hope he gets to rule for at least one other term.
He may have his faults, (building the metro) but our country didn't get to be what it is today if not for him.
Leonel Fernandez: President for life!!!

rich17

May 1, 2006
not a good idea

whats to stop future presidents from altering the constitution in order to run for multiple terms? there must be some seriousness and value placed in our constitution and democracy.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Just wishful thinking!

whats to stop future presidents from altering the constitution in order to run for multiple terms? there must be some seriousness and value placed in our constitution and democracy.

Of course nobody will stand for the "president for life" notion. This was just a take on the Duvalier era when his supporters were clamoring for his perpetual rule of Haiti. The DR constitution is just fine the way it is and I would not want it changed.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Isn't it ironic that somehow "President for Life" somehow generally shorten's life expectancy?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Of course Leonel will run again and win again. Those who even doubt that don't know a thing about Dominican politics. It's been thay way since Balaguer's times (probably even before then)...the current president always says he won't run at the begginning of the term and then by election time they change their tune. Balaguer always ran because "el pueblo se lo pide...cuatro anos mas por necesidad...". Leonel didn't try to run again last time, because at the time he knew he had no support to even attempt such a thing. This time is different and he even doesn't have to change the constitution to run again (he will change it anyways), as Hippo in his greed took care of that for him.

I predict we'll get four more years of him and then Medina will try to run again and lose the election to whoever the PRD candidate is at the time, as he has absolutely no charisma. Too bad Jaime David Fernandez is not going to get a chance. He would make a fine president...well liked, honest, educated, etc...

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Just to clear up some stated misconceptions.

LF never said in 2004 that he wouldn't seek a second term.

The reason LF didn't run for reelection in 2000 is because the constitution at that time said he couldn't.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
How many members of this board

can vote in the elections? If you can't vote how many members can at least be proactive in some form or another thru a family member that can vote? (ie:dominican spouse). And finally, if none of the above what can you do to have any impact at all on "Who will be the next President"?

JOHN

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Just to clear up some stated misconceptions.

LF never said in 2004 that he wouldn't seek a second term.

The reason LF didn't run for reelection in 2000 is because the constitution at that time said he couldn't.

Yes and No.

Yes: He never said he wouldn't seek a second term.

No: It's not because the constitution said he couldn't run, it's because at the time he didn't have the power to change the constitution. After all what is the constitution in the DR, but a piece of paper that can be changed at the whim of whoever has the majority in congress (Balaguer said this publicly). Now that they do have the majority, they are already preparing to change it. I don't think they will add another term, beyond the two he can serve (actually three for him, as the previous one doesn't count) at least for now, but watch it 4 years from now, if they still dominate congress as they do today...