Puerto Plata to Playa Dorada

krossm

Sep 5, 2006
Hi

Im staying in Playa Dorada resort and wondered how far it is to Puerto Plata? Is it possible to walk from one to the other? Is taxi the best way to get to and from?

Thanks

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Puerto Plata is a fairly good sized place; more a small city than a town. It's not like Sosua for example, where you can pretty much walk anywhere. If your resort is on the beach, it's a pretty good hike just to get to the highway. The Playa Dorada complex is on the East end of the city, and is 3 or 4 kilometers from Long Beach and about double that to the center city area. Probably the best way to get around is the publicos, which run frequently along the highway, but do not go to all areas of town. If you are brave, you can use motoconchos, which are very convenient, and fairly cheap. A private taxi will cost quite a bit more.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
These are your options for transportation from Playa Dorada to different parts of Puerto Plata.
  • Private hotel taxis- Available in front of every hotel in Playa Dorada. This is the most expensive option. Cost will be about US $15 one-way. They will try to negotiate a round-trip and or wait for you. No need, as local taxis downtown are cheaper than hotel taxis.
  • Publicos- public taxis which passs by the front gate of Playa Dorada. They will squeeze in 6 passengers, so it gets crowded. Cost is RD$ 10-20/person. Both the Sosua/Puerto Plata and the Munoz routes go into downtown Puerto Plata and pass Central Park. (The Sosua car is RD $20 while the Munoz is RD$10. Once you see the condition of the cars you will know why.)
  • Guagua- public bus or mini-van. Pass by the front gate of Playa Dorada. The "A" and "B" routes go downtown. The "C" route goes past downtown and ends at Cofresi, near Ocean World. The cost is RD$ 10/person. The Rio San Juan-Puerto Plata guagua also passes Playa Dorada and terminates at Central Park. Also RD$ 10/person.

The publicos run 24 hours, the guaguas until 8:00 PM. Public transportation is safe, just be cautious of potential pickpockets.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
My experience:

Wait until they all get on the publicos (and there is only one room left for you), you never know who is the 4th person at the back when you are already sitting next to a couple of 20 stones !?

Wave by guaguas that are full they try to squeeze you in and that could be very unpleasant !!! The next one behind is usually empty...

US$15 !? What a daylight rubbery.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
US$15 !? What a daylight rubbery.

I suppose it depends on how flexible you are...........;)

For the OP, it is always possible to negotiate the front seat in a guagua (if it isn't already taken) by paying double the going rate (20 instead of 10 pesos) - this ensures you don't get squashed because you have already paid for the seat next to you.

esher

Aug 22, 2006
I always use the motoconchos outside playa dorada they are cheap if you prefer a taxi here is a number of a very good friend of mine if you do use him his name is jose please say jaki said hello 5868044

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Firstly - I now use the motoconchos outside of Playa D - very cheap and convieanent!

Secondly - HOWMAR - I remember posting about a year ago and HOWMAR was the first to help. His advice is always good in this matter!

If its your first vist - you will probably take the taxi from outside of your hotel no matter what advice you recieve - just haggle with them. I normally pay 1/3 of what they ask for as a guide. If they are not happy with that start to walk away and say its fine - normally they will say ok ok and take you.

If you are a little more confident - take the motoconcho - its fun if your on the younger side and up for the adventur!

Have a great trip!

Dan

CommTHOR

Nov 7, 2005
I know - likely been answered, and I'll probably find it in a quick search anyway, but how do you flag down the Publicos or a Guagua? Stand idly by the side of the road? Wave when you see them? Specific stopping points?

I know the DR golden rule of "Agree on the price BEFORE entering," but I haven't attempted the public transportation yet. Being my 3rd visit in a year, I plan on spending a lot of time off the resort this time, and taxis will get expensive.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There are no real bus stops in PP. There are places where buses stop which are recognised as bus stops by locals, but you won't recognise these until you've been here a while. Where a group is gathered, this could be a group waiting for a bus; on the other hand it could be for something entirely different........;) If you ask 'wag-wa' with a question mark in your voice, they'll tell you. Other than that you can flag them down almost anywhere; a subtle gesture with a finger is sufficient. Foreigners are usually spotable because they wave their arms or sometimes their whole bodies, but you don't need to. They'll spot you. Sometimes when all you want to do is cross the road.........;)
And good for you, getting off resort & using public transport. You'll have a fun time.

CommTHOR

Nov 7, 2005
And good for you, getting off resort & using public transport. You'll have a fun time.

Stayed in Cabarete last time, and since everything I needed was within walking distance, I didn't have much use for transportation.

It'll certainly be a different experience this time. As much as I love the AI resorts, with the pampering and relaxation, I've also fallen in love with the Dominican people/culture in general, and want to experience more. Having a difficult time learning Spanish, (I have a hard time learning new languages - I squeaked by taking French in school, and only was able to learn enough Thai to survive after 4 entire months in Thailand) but I'm learning a bit more every day.

I'm sure a couple gringos standing outside Playa Dorada will attract ANYONE that has ANYTHING to do with transportation like blood will to sharks. ;) This will be the longest month and a half ever.... Can't wait to go.

Thanks a lot for the tips. I switch to "Dominican time" pretty easy, so if I miss out on one guagua, I'd at least see where they're stopping. When you're on vacation, waiting for the next one isn't a problem.

krossm

Sep 5, 2006
Thanks for all your help here - it is good to know these things before I arrive in DR.