La Romana & SDQ Ideas

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I have a female co-worker (fluent in spanish) who really would like to check out the DR and is looking for ideas. She is more interested in authentic dominican night life and culture and music...but she would also like a couple of days on the beach (preferably with good snorkeling and activities -- non sankie activities).

My first suggestion was to stay in santo domingo...and if she wants a little sun to take a guagua to playa caribe or boca chica or juan dolio in the morning. While these are decent ideas...i would like to give her some better suggestions from the capital. BC and JD are ok...but hardly stellar beaches.

So...i was thinking of telling her to travel from S.D to La Romana for a couple of days on her trip to do the beach thing. BUt when i look on line all i can find is AI's for lots of money. Any suggestions on decent budget hotels in the la romana area? and what would be the best way to get there from S.D.? do the guaguas go that far out?

Final question: Where should i send her for some really good live music in S.D.? Not looking for a disco...but some live bachata, merengue, salsa (she really likes salsa) etc.

I know these are sort of vague questions. But i'd really like to hook her up and make sure that she has a great time. The trick is coming up with a trip that includes both the cosmopolitan and cultural aspects of SD...AND a day or two at the beach.

many thanks for any suggestions.

regards,
jj

vandee

Nov 26, 2003
why la romana

We have a villa in Casa de Campo but that beach is not really that good. La Romana is OK but not a great place to stay in my opinion. Bahayibe (? spelling) is a divers town but can be fun.
We also have a condo in Juan Dolio and I like that area and beach better. Of course, being in our late 50's we're not much for partying but I know there is night life in Boca Chica. La Romana was not that lively as far as I could tell.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I actually think your first idea (SD/BC) has a lot of merit. IMHO every first-time visitor to the DR should spend time in the capitol, for the historic sites if nothing else. It also has the benefit that because you are so familiar with both places, you can give her good advice. La Romana is a great little city, and on my short list of places to live when I move to the DR, but the city is actually almost as far from the beach(Bayahibe) as SD is from BC. I don't see it offering that much to the equation, and it is a 90 minute drive from SD. If traveling that far for the beach is an option, a better combination might be Santiago and Sosua/Cabarete.

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
Bayahibe option

I am spending a couple of days away from my favourite AI in the spring of 2007 by bunking at the Villa Iguana in Bayahibe http://www.villaiguana.de/ They are affiliated with the Seavis dive shop in Bayahibe and can take you on a fabulous excursion day to Catalinita and Saona islands (my pictures at http://travel.webshots.com/album/550135582VbyNRT) or can point you to the public beach in Bayahibe where you can do some great snorkeling from the beach (next to Sunscape Casa del Mar). Especially if you are a strong swimmer, you can swim out to the deep water reef and have a fabulous day right there. Of course there are a number of establishments offering food and drink in town and it's a cute--though becoming more and more commercial--fishing village. Get out early in the morning and see the fishermen doing what they do. Bear in mind that La Romana is the "area" but the best beaches aren't in the city of La Romana any more than there are great beaches "in" Santo Domingo.

Kaki

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Yeah..i think the capitol is the best for her. She is really looking for the music scene and to see why everyone keeps raving about the DR. SHe is not one to just park her ass on the beach with a pina colada...but does enjoy swimming and snorkeling...but her interest is more cultural.

Night life in BC is horrendous...one hooker bar and a few tipicos...and thats about it. So she can easily take the bus out in the morning for some beach time. I just thought it would be cool if i could come up with a two day excursion out of the city and stay somewhere that is near saona and parque este but that isnt some grande AI resort.

I know the north is more scenic...but she is an urban chic and wants authentic non-toursit experiences. (i cant really advise her on santiago and the north beaches as i have not been there)

Now that i have been doing some research myself...this is starting to become an idea that i am interested in as well (who knows..i might just join her).

Now i just need some suggestions for good live music in the capitol!

I actually think your first idea (SD/BC) has a lot of merit. IMHO every first-time visitor to the DR should spend time in the capitol, for the historic sites if nothing else. It also has the benefit that because you are so familiar with both places, you can give her good advice. La Romana is a great little city, and on my short list of places to live when I move to the DR, but the city is actually almost as far from the beach(Bayahibe) as SD is from BC. I don't see it offering that much to the equation, and it is a 90 minute drive from SD. If traveling that far for the beach is an option, a better combination might be Santiago and Sosua/Cabarete.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The "real" Dominican music is Live Merengue in Santiago at a Tipico Bar.
Then take a trip to Jarabacoa for 2 days and a trip to Sosua/Cabarete for beach. You really need to get out of Boca Chica/ SDQ once in your life and go to el Cibao.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Then take a trip to Jarabacoa for 2 days and a trip to Sosua/Cabarete for beach. You really need to get out of Boca Chica/ SDQ once in your life and go to el Cibao.

I agree. If you can go to SD, Santiago, Jarabacoa and Sosua/Caberete, you will get more of a rounded experience....no doubt.

I assume that throwing Samana/Las terrenas in there would round out the experience more but I have yet to visit the east coast and have no insight to give.

Larry

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004

well..she (as well as i) prefer the crarib sea vs the atlantic. ANd she has expressed interest in the historic aspects of SD as well.

are you saying that there is no good merengue in SDQ? I understand the tipico thing...but i think my friend is looking for a more traditional night club setting (not discoteque) that features known musicians. Doesnt matter if its bachata or merengue.

Please tho...tell me why you suggest santiago vs SDQ? i am certainly open to suggest the best trip for her. I might be wrong..but from what i have heard from other travelers while in DR...is that the north (with the exception of santiago) is more touristy and commerical..while the south is more authentic. Not as pretty...but more real.

Personaly..i stay in the south...simply for the fact that i sort of know my way around and i have developed many friendships there over the years. So for me its like going to my second home. But this isnt about me...but rather for my female friend who will probably be travling solo and is more intersted in culture, history, arts, music....and who would also like a day or two at the beach.

gardito

Jan 15, 2004
Live merengue? I've never been there, but I understand Jet Set (night club/disco) has live merengue/bachata music. Maybe someone can expand on that?? Located somewhere on Mirador.

E.