PBS Show on Dominican Baseball

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
For those of you in the US, many PBS Stations this month, as part of Hispanic Heritage Month, are showing the documentary "Voces: The Republic of Baseball: The Dominican Giants of the American Game". Dates and times seem to vary from station to station (Boston on Oct. 1, San Francisco on Sept. 23, can't find it on the schedule at all in New York City, Sept. 24 in Chicago, Sept. 10 in D.C.), but for those how might have an interest, you should check your local listings.

Jun 5, 2004
mb2, thanks for the information for those people who live in the bronx or brooklyn and have io (cablevision) service it will air on pbs on September 20.

jartherrera

May 22, 2006
Any idea when it's airing for Time Warner subscribers? It is ironic that in the city with the most Dominican immigrants, it is not clear when this is airing!

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
For those of you whose PBS station is either not airing this, or who missed it, there is a DVD that will be going on sale at the website for the show, Republic of Baseball.

There is also a complete broadcast listing for all cities yet to air the show at that website. It looks like WNET in New York is airing it Thursday Sept 28 and again on the 29th for those in NY area.

There is also a lot of information about the documentary at the home website, which I guess you could say 'sponsored' this show on PBS. On the Voces website it mentions the documentary 'Santo Domingo Blues' about the start of Bachata. Has anybody seen that?

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
I saw it last night and hopefully it will provide Dominicans who live in the states a little perspective on that DR1 subject that we dare not speak its name.

CalJoe

Oct 3, 2005
Republic of Baseball - San Francisco

I saw this last night in SF at a charity event. Amazing. The struggles and challenges these pioneers faced were every bit, if not more difficult, then those of early black players. Many of those early players were at the event including Felipe Alou, Manny Alou, Ozzie Virgil, and Orlando Cepeda. The producers where there along with many of the Giants management and current players like Moise Alou and Omar Visquel. There was a nice introduction by Jon Miller, the voice of the Giants, and a post screening question and answer session with the early players.

The show is a must see for baseball fans from everywhere.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
CalJoe - YOU'RE KILLING ME!

I saw this last night in SF at a charity event. Amazing. The struggles and challenges these pioneers faced were every bit, if not more difficult, then those of early black players. Many of those early players were at the event including Felipe Alou, Manny Alou, Ozzie Virgil, and Orlando Cepeda. The producers where there along with many of the Giants management and current players like Moise Alou and Omar Visquel. There was a nice introduction by Jon Miller, the voice of the Giants, and a post screening question and answer session with the early players.

The show is a must see for baseball fans from everywhere.
Dang I wish I knew about this. Only night of the week I had free too!

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
What a shame! The PBS station in Houston is not showing it. And this is supposed to be Hispanic Heritage Month, and Houston, the largest city in the United States of Texas with the largest, most diverse Latino population in Bush country will not get the show. Even Terre Haute, Indiana, gets it. And the last Dumbminican to go through Terre Haute was The Kid when he visited the Federal prison there some years ago. But they get the show, while Houston, an MLB city, does not.

-The Kid