La Vega

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
The other day I saw some pictures of La Vega and the city looked clean, with some nice neighborhoods and quite prosperous. Besides its carnival, those of you who have visited it or lived there, what's your opinion of this Dominican city?

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I have friends who live there and have another home in the capital. La Vega is nice and does not suffer from the same amount or sort of tigeraje as the capital.
One morning I took off on a little run and it seems that there is alot of construction of some very nice homes in La Vega.

I also visited 2 local doctors, a dentist(bad tooth) and a dermatologist(bug bite that got a little out of control) and I have to say I would choose seeing them over the doctors I see here in NYC.

Overall I enjoyed my stay in this city and am quite fond of it.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The only hotel I've stayed at in La Vega was the Hotel Rey, which was definitely pleasant. Nice rooms and the price was'nt bad, I think no more than 900 pesos a night. Don't quote me on this though as I'm not completely sure.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
The only hotel I've stayed at in La Vega was the Hotel Rey, which was definitely pleasant. Nice rooms and the price was'nt bad, I think no more than 900 pesos a night. Don't quote me on this though as I'm not completely sure.

Thank you. I don't why I had the impression there were no hotels there.

Jan 5, 2006
The city is a mix of neighborhoods raging from very nice homes to a few poor barrios, and anywhere in between. It is well kept for the most part. The people are very friendly and the city is very safe, except for a handfull of barrios. Most products and services are available at local stores, and there's a good selection of activities to keep you busy.

Neil de CT

Jul 3, 2005
Activities in La Vega

What, specifically, are the activities that you refer to? Other than attending the well-known Carnival festivities, and visiting the cathedral and the Casa de la Cultura, what else is there to do in La Vega? Simple suggestions are fine such as parks or plazas to visit, decent restaurants to eat at, clubs/discos to go to, etc.

...there's a good selection of activities to keep you busy.

fsanchez71

Oct 12, 2006
There is not really much variety when it comes to night life in La Vega.
A few clubs are Kafe Klaro (Best one), Karetas and 3J's - all located on the autopista (now la Pedro Rivera). There is also Rancho Tipico.
Decent restaurants - All Decent Food!
Induveca Restaurant (next to supermarket) have live entertainment of Fridays and Saturdays.
Engini Restaurant - Live enternainment on Sundays
Macao Grill - Karaoke on Wednedsays

You can try the pool at Valle Verde on the outskirts of La Vega (on the way to El Pino or Bonao) If you're not a club member, you only pay $100 to get in. Nice view of La Vega from the hill ( a bit steep and very curvy and narrow road)