Hotel Platino: Post-Research Detail Questions

Neil de CT

Jul 3, 2005
I am a well-traveled male, north of 40, who is in the process of finalizing plans for my first trip to the DR. I will be traveling solo. After much research it became clear to me that Santiago would be my destination of choice. The reasons for this are many of the same ones expressed by DR1's Santiago aficionados for loving the city.

My plans are to travel to Santiago in early October and stay for 8 nights and 9 days. My flights are reserved and now I want to lock in my hotel arrangements. I have extensively reviewed the material on the DR1 forums and concluded months ago that I prefer to stay at Hotel Platino. The quality level and the prices quoted made it seem the best choice for me.

It seems as though the hotel has updated its website and its prices as well. Prices are now listed in US dollars rather than DR pesos as they were a few months ago. The prices are substantially higher as well. Like most people, I travel on a budget and am interested in maximizing value for my money. Here is the pricing information from their website:

Tarifa de Habitaciones (as of ?06.09.10)

Tipo de Habitacion.....Pax.....Tarifa PH

Estandar....................1......US$ 51.00
Ejecutiva Superior........1......US$ 59.00
Ejecutiva Superior........2......US$ 65.00
Junior Suite.................2.....US$ 82.00
Suite.........................2......US$ 133.00

Personas Adicionales............US$ 17.00
Ninos.................................US$ 9.00

Platino?s site references a number of possible discounts including corporate, long stays, weekend, and groups & weddings.

Now for my questions:

1) In the listed rates (Tarifa PH), what does the ?PH? stand for? Do these rates include the 26% taxes or would that be additional? If the taxes are additional Platino is getting quite pricey: a 2-person executive superior room would cost approximately $82 per night. Is there a separate peso-based price list and are those rates lower?

2) What is the best way to negotiate a discount? Would booking through a local contact be best? Or would I do just as well negotiating via e-mail on my own? I will be staying for 8 nights, checking in on a Saturday and checking out on a Sunday morning. Clearly some nights qualify for the weekend rate. I don?t know if 8 nights qualifies as a ?larga estadia,? but I would surely make the case. And although the purpose of my visit is for recreation, as a businessperson I can certainly request a corporate discount. I would appreciate the best advice of this board on getting the best deal at Platino. I am looking to pay a final price (all taxes and fees included) of no more than $60 per night.

3) Will this hotel allow me to bring in guests without any hassles or extra charges? I plan to request and pay for a 2-person executive room specifically to avoid any extra charges.

4) Having reviewed maps of Santiago, I am familiar with the hotel?s location near PUCMM. Will this result in excessive taxi fares to city center and the clubs? Are there reasonable public transport options for getting around inside the city? As points of reference, what would a taxi cost from the Platino to (a) the Monumento and (b) the aeropuerto?

I will no doubt post questions on other topics?after first searching the board?but for now I?ll just ask for help with the issues above concerning hotel accommodations.

Thanks in advance for the assistance offered.

Neil

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
-Platino rarely discounts it's rates beyond the standard "corporate" rate. I use the "Executive Superior" for around $1600 pesos MOL.

-They will definitely charge extra for "guests"; It is virtually impossible to sneak them in by the way the entrance is set up.

-I'd be surprised if the taxi rate to the inner city, Monument or airport is "excessive". None of those places are particularly far away. I'm sure the bellmen would be of great help. I don't personally use taxis or public transport as I rent a car while there.

I have stayed at Platino around 45 nights the last year. Fine place, nicely upscale, comfortable and clean, and well managed and maintained.

Hope this helps.

Neil de CT

Jul 3, 2005
-Platino rarely discounts it's rates beyond the standard "corporate" rate. I use the "Executive Superior" for around $1600 pesos MOL.
I assume the 1600 pesos is before the 26% tax, correct? What does MOL stand for?

-They will definitely charge extra for "guests"; It is virtually impossible to sneak them in by the way the entrance is set up.
Reserving a room for 2 people and paying the higher rate will not eliminate the guest charge?

Thank you for your well-informed comments.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I assume the 1600 pesos is before the 26% tax, correct? What does MOL stand for?
Yes, before. MOL=More or Less.

Yes: buy a room for two, and no charge for guests. I don't know how they'd feel about a different guest every night. I have a "gut feeling", having stayed there so often, they sorta frown on "professional" guests, if you catch my drift.

Nice place, but some of the downtown hotels may be a better choice for the hardcore party folks. Most guests at Platino seem to be traveling Dominican professionals and business people. Just my observation.

Enjoy your first trip!

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
Neil,
I am not sure whether you have considered the hotel Aloha Sol as an option. Aloha Sol might be only a little bit more expensive than the Platino but it is right there in the busy city center and shopping area and it includes a continental breakfast as part of it's price. It is also guest friendly. I have always stayed there anytime I am in Santiago and for location and price, somehow, it might be hard to beat. You might want to compare with Hotel Platino before making a choice.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Taxis will range from RD$90 to RD$200, practically anywhere in the city. From the airport is usually RD$450 and to the airport is most times a little less.

Neil de CT

Jul 3, 2005
Neil,
I am not sure whether you have considered the hotel Aloha Sol as an option. Aloha Sol might be only a little bit more expensive than the Platino but it is right there in the busy city center and shopping area and it includes a continental breakfast as part of it's price. It is also guest friendly. I have always stayed there anytime I am in Santiago and for location and price, somehow, it might be hard to beat. You might want to compare with Hotel Platino before making a choice.

Thanks, Sholly. Based on my subjective assessment I consider Aloha Sol a close second best choice. However, I recently learned about the newly opened Marriott and am seriously considering that as an option due to my ability to trade in points for a free stay. If that weren't an option, their rates would definitely be higher than I am willing to pay.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Thanks, Sholly. Based on my subjective assessment I consider Aloha Sol a close second best choice. However, I recently learned about the newly opened Marriott and am seriously considering that as an option due to my ability to trade in points for a free stay. If that weren't an option, their rates would definitely be higher than I am willing to pay.
Just be aware it's sorta on the outskirts of town toward the airport, all by itself. Platino, on the other hand, is within blocks of where PUCMM students hang between and after classes ;). There is a very nice small bar/cafe, Decano, across the parking lot of Platino that considerable eye candy can be seen.

Neil de CT

Jul 3, 2005
Just be aware it's sorta on the outskirts of town toward the airport, all by itself. Platino, on the other hand, is within blocks of where PUCMM students hang between and after classes ;). There is a very nice small bar/cafe, Decano, across the parking lot of Platino that considerable eye candy can be seen.

Yes, it's understood that the Marriott has an inferior location. However, the cash saved from a free stay can pay for a lot of taxi fares.

Cafe Decano, you say? With a lot of eye candy? Perhaps I can satisy both my caffeine addiction and that other craving at the same time!

majority1

Jan 9, 2005
Does anyone know how much Hotel Aloha Sol charges per night and is it advisable to book the rooom for two people if I intend to bring guests in. Also does anyone have their telephone number or do they have a website?

Neil de CT

Jul 3, 2005
Aloha Sol Info

Does anyone know how much Hotel Aloha Sol charges per night and is it advisable to book the rooom for two people if I intend to bring guests in. Also does anyone have their telephone number or do they have a website?

Click on the link to get to Hotel Aloha Sol's website: Hotel Aloha Sol. Telephone numbers, street address, and e-mail address are all available there. Rates do not seem to be listed, but according to posts on this website the rate should be in the vicinity of US$50.

fofo101

Sep 15, 2006
info

Hi guys i am New to this site but one thing that We ALL have in common is DR.I have been to the Capital 4 times already but this around i need to change the scene;so i have decided to go to Santiago.For those of you who are from there or have visited the city,please share the details:hotel-club-restaurant- etc

thanks in advance