A little travel help needed...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I am considering a flight to Santiago because the savings are $150 over flying to the capital. But I have to get to the capital that night. I have friends waiting for me and I can't just not show up.

Also I will be pressed for time. I arrive at around 4:30 p.m. on a Wednesday afternoon and I have to get to a bus that will take me into Santo Domingo.

If there is anyone that can help, I need the following info-

1) Where to take a bus heading towards the capitay. Caribe Tours or Metro? Which one is more reliable?
2) Where do I tell the cab driver to take me and how much should I expect to pay to go to the terminal?
3) Any chance the buses will be full and I'll be stranded? I really can't take that chance. If there is a possibility of this happening, I may be better off just paying the extra money and flying into the capital.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Just Fly Into SDQ, or Go to STI and Rent a Car

You could just rent from Alamo/National in Santiago and drive to Santo Domingo. Depending on the length of your stay, the $150 in savings might equal the cost of a rental car (approx. 4-days, excluding the cost of gas.) The drive from STI to Santo Domingo isn't that bad and can be done rather quickly (less than 2 hours.) It's the drive from STI to Puerto Plata that's sucks!

-Helpmann :)

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
You could just rent from Alamo/National in Santiago and drive to Santo Domingo. Depending on the length of your stay, the $150 in savings might equal the cost of a rental car (approx. 4-days, excluding the cost of gas.) The drive from STI to Santo Domingo isn't that bad and can be done rather quickly (less than 2 hours.) It's the drive from STI to Puerto Plata that's sucks!

-Helpmann :)

You are right-that ride from STI to Puerto Plata DOES suck. But I do not want the responsibility of vehicle on my trip, so no car rental. I will be taking a bus.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Look dude: You arrive at 4:30 pm. You will be out of the Aduana by 5:00.

Just get a taxi to Metro and take the next bus at 6 to Sto Dgo. Piece of cake.

Metro is probably a bit more reliable...and they keep their buses cleaner. But both are on the same street so take your pick...you will get a bus no matter...

HB

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Yeah Berzin. You'll be out of there quick and on the 6 p.m. bus if your flight arrives on time. This should be no problem. The cab ride from the airport to the bus station is about 400 pesos.