Bob Hahn: Fascinatated By The DR-R.I.P

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
At work, a few years back, I befriended a man named Robert (Bob).

One of those guys that within seconds of meeting him, you knew he was a very lonely man, shy at the beginning but if someone spoke to him first, boy, he would talk nonstop. I guess it was because he had no one to talk to after he left work. He had no family, very few friends, 2 cats, an ex-wife and a heart of gold. He was also a very sick man. He had diabetes, high blood pressure and a heart condition.

He always wondered why I always traveled to the DR. He always said that my DR stories were very happy. He always told me he knew could tell when I was going to the DR, my face said it all, he said. One day he told me that he would love to be as happy as I.

One day he saw me looking at some DR1 real estate properties and he could not believe his eyes on how cheap they were. I showed him DR1 "Media Gallery" and the guy could not stop smiling. He said that everybody looked so happy.

After that I introduced him to the Forums and the man got hooked. He even got himself a laptop so he could read DR1 from home. He became a DR1 lurker. Now I had someone telling me what was happening on DR1 every day (as if I needed it, lol).

What amazed me the most is that he would talk about DR1 members by name. He would say things like: "AZB started a thread today" or " man, Rick Snyder knows his Trujillo stuff" or "you and "such and such" are at it again". He always wondered why I am so completely different here.

All of a sudden, he wanted to know EVERYTHING about the DR, the people, the food, how people lived, what was done for fun, the cost of living, everything. I told him as much as I could and also told him to keep on reading DR1's Living, Rendezvous Point, Trip Report and other forums.

He familiarized himself so well that one day he told me that when he retired, that he would love to go to the DR with me to see if he can live there. He wanted me to show him around and to take him to a few places he noticed many DR1 members liked, like AZB's Santiago (he called it just like that). He asked me if I was willing to ask my relocated American friends to help him out while there. He also said that if he liked it enough, he was going to take it slow, that he would just visit for a few weeks every other month just to see if he could adapt. He said that if after one year of visiting, that if he was comfortable enough, he would move over there permanently!.

When I told him that it would not be easy to relocate to a 3rd third country and that he should not forget about the "pros and cons", all he said was that he lived a lonely life for more than 60 years and that it was time for him to risk it all and have some fun before he died. He basically did not wanted to die a lonely man.

Before he retired, he said to me something like: I have the money, I have the big house, I have the cars, I have the American dream but I have nobody to share it with. He said he would sell everything and relocate if he liked it enough. He told me that if he liked the DR, that he would do some volunteer work and help a few charities. He said he would not work or start a business since it was "me time". He just wanted a house by the beach and some happy times.

I told him that if he liked it, my American friends in the DR would help him with everything he needed.

Bob retired at the end of June and kept in contact with a weekly call or visit. He told me that he needed a few months to settle in order to put his affairs in order and that he would call me to ask me when we could go to the DR.

I called Bob and told him that I was going to the DR on September 2nd but that I was going with some friends just to relax. I mentioned that since some of my friends were leaving in 4 or 5 days, that I would be available for a few days is he wanted. He said that it was not a good idea because he was going to Las Vegas with his ex-wife.

We decided that on my next trip, that we would go. We agreed to go on December. He was very, very happy.

He was like a kid in a candy store. He would call just to tell me how happy he was, how he could sell his home for 800,000 dollars (actually, I think he could get much more than that), how he would take his 2 cats with him, how happy he would be just having new friends, etc, etc.

The bottom line is that I have never seen that man happier. I knew that with the right network in the DR, he would be more than fine.

The day before I left to the DR, he dropped by work and told me to have a great trip and that "soon I will be Dominican just like you". He seemed so happy every time he spoke about the DR.

Before I left to the DR, I had started a thread, here, where I said that I was going to leave my cell phone behind.

I got home from the DR last night (Sunday) and the first thing I did was turn my cell on. To my surprise I had a few calls from someone whom, now, would only call me if something was wrong. Not everybody knew I was not going to take my cell with me.

My co-worker Dennis had left me a few messages on my cell.

Well, Bob suffered a heart attack and died at home on September 6th!. A little over 2 months after retiring and 3 months before going to the DR!.

Since talking and thinking about the DR made him happy, I only hope that my friend was thinking about the DR before he passed.

He will be missed!.

(First my nephew, then my relative, then my friend, God, am I cursed or something?). That's life, I guess!.

Last edited:

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Miguel, I am so sorry to hear of your friends passing. I also suffer from diabetes and a heart condition, yet I have been fortunate enough to fulfill most of my dreams. My adventures in the DR certainly rank among some of the best times of my life.

I am so lucky to have met so many wonderful people by being a member of DR1 and my many visits to the DR.

Chuckuindy

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
No doubt Bob passed happy, in his dream of moving to the DR.
I dare say he has a great view of the DR from where he is and doesn't have to deal with the aduana, ladrones, etc. or suffer the sadness of the challenges the limpiabotas face either. He is free to enjoy.
Peace Bob.
mkohn

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Sad to hear this man passed before fullfilling his dream but at least you gave him something to dream about Miguel.

may he rest in peace

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
This may sound corny, but this is exactly why go as often as I can. I have so many co-workers who are miserable and have lost thier joy of living because they are tied to that paycheck and dream only about retirement. Then when it comes they are gone soon afterwards.

I remember sitting on the malecon in the capital just getting that breeze that comes from the sea and wondering why the hell do I have to go back. The irony of loving a country so much that I would drop everything, leave it all behind and live there when so many are desperate to leave it tells you how crazy life can be.

I have 2 best friends whose parents died either right before or just after retiring. Sorry, but I'd rather die broke with a smile on my face. I feel for your friend, Miguel. He should of gotten on that plane while he had the chance.

By the way, thanks for the post. It was touching.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Miguel: Sorry to hear you lost a good friend. I am sure Bob would have loved to know that there is a large "Hahn" family living right here in Santiago.

Now you know why I'll never really retire....

Peace to Bob, and you, too, miguel.....

HB

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Indeed!

Sad to hear this man passed before fullfilling his dream but at least you gave him something to dream about Miguel.

may he rest in peace
Thanks guys.

Anna, that's exactly what my friend John said, words for words.

Life is weird, I had one of the nicest vacation of my life and now I am going to visit his house (where his ex-wife and some friends from work are gathered).

I just hope that in some ways, I made him happy with all my Dominican tales and all the pictures I showed him and all the nice things he saw on DR1. He seemed very happy just talking about "when I visit the DR and move over there". He would even say to me: "when I move over there, you will never go to a hotel again, you and your girlfriend will stay at my house and will be treated like a King and a Queen"

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Brings home the quote about living every day as if it was your last because one day you'll be right, doesn't it? And that true contentment has nothing to do with making money, getting promoted etc but living your dreams, feeling fulfilled etc. Your deceased friend obviously picked up one of the treasures of living in the DR, Miguel, that people always have time for you, no matter what.

Great post, that, should motivate a lot of people who are fence sitters to go for it, whatever 'it' is. And to go for it NOW............

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
True and not!

This may sound corny, but this is exactly why go as often as I can. I have so many co-workers who are miserable and have lost thier joy of living because they are tied to that paycheck and dream only about retirement. Then when it comes they are gone soon afterwards.

I remember sitting on the malecon in the capital just getting that breeze that comes from the sea and wondering why the hell do I have to go back. The irony of loving a country so much that I would drop everything, leave it all behind and live there when so many are desperate to leave it tells you how crazy life can be.

I have 2 best friends whose parents died either right before or just after retiring. Sorry, but I'd rather die broke with a smile on my face. I feel for your friend, Miguel. He should of gotten on that plane while he had the chance.

By the way, thanks for the post. It was touching.
Thanks Hillbilly and Lambada.

Berzin:

Life is not as black and white as MANY want to paint it. SOME people can not just pack and leave in a second. People that are in their 60's do NOT think as people in their 20-40's.

When a person only knows one thing, getting used to another takes time.

There are many factors why a person can not just say: "ok, tomorrow I will move to the DR". It could be their friends, it could be their family, it could be their responsabilities. It can be a number of things.

We need to understand that this was a man who was used to working and being alone all his life. He knew nothing more.

He only started getting interested in visiting the DR less than a year ago. Nobody in their right mind is just going to leave everything he has known for 62 years just to follow a dream, without at least trying to see if that dreams can come true.

Remember, he read DR1 every day. He knew a little about the good things and the bad things. He knew that if he needed any type of surgeries, that he would have to have it done here (and he did had eyes surgery a few weeks ago).

Trust me, when you have a mortgage, when you have bills to pay, when you have to make sure your retirement papers are in order, you will not just pack and go until everything is in order.

Don't forget that MANY people also think about others and not themselves. My best friend's mom and dad bought a nice home in El Seybo many years ago and even though they are retired, have not moved to the DR. He wants to leave and she does not because of their grown-ass kids (which the youngest is in her 30's).

In my case, which I have posted here before, I bought my mom a home in the DR, right next to her sister's home thinking that since they were always talking about retiring to the DR, that they would move. My siblings and I did not allowed mom to work until a certain age and was supported by us 100% (meaning she had no mortgage or bills to pay, nothing no tie her down). I gifted her a house and told her that she was going to get at least 500 dollars a week from us and guess what, she did did not leave because she always wondered who was going to take care of her 2 younger grown-ass kids(the younger being about 25 at the time). No matter what the other 6 said, she was not leaving without knowing that the other 2 were taking care of themselves. They were still living at home.

See, there are many reasons why people just don't decide within one second to relocate to the DR.

The fact of the matter is that one does not know when our number is going to be called!. 25-95, we just don't know!.

Now, I am leaving to Bob's house.

Thanks all!.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Great post, that, should motivate a lot of people who are fence sitters to go for it, whatever 'it' is. And to go for it NOW............[/QUOTE]

...and that's why I'll be in the DR in October AND November!!! ;)

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
May he rest in peace

Here is someone who never went to the DR yet was deeply affected by Miguel's stories. I think the concept of moving there made him happy, whether that would've been the reality or not, if he'd made it there. Moving is not for everyone. I am much younger and I don't want to wait until retirement to make that move.

My mother has been very ill for the past 6 years...she retired at 65 with high blood pressure and type II diabetes, somewhat under control, but for whatever reason, everything escalated post-retirement. She developed skin problems with her legs, had several blood clot incidents in her veins and most recently has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.

Mom is stubborn, she wished to travel in her retirement and now she won't even take a day trip because her mobility is really limited...I want her to visit the Dominican Republic with me to meet our extended family and good friends I've made on my trips and she WILL NOT go.

My father, on the other hand is in great shape but I know that any of these issues my mother has could affect me...I know we all can't up and leave at a moment's notice, but I wouldn't be happy if I didn't at least try...I read Bob's story and I'm happy that he had dreams, and it has inspired me to make mine come true!

Thanks for sharing!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Back from his house.

Here is someone who never went to the DR yet was deeply affected by Miguel's stories. I think the concept of moving there made him happy, whether that would've been the reality or not, if he'd made it there. Moving is not for everyone. I am much younger and I don't want to wait until retirement to make that move.

My mother has been very ill for the past 6 years...she retired at 65 with high blood pressure and type II diabetes, somewhat under control, but for whatever reason, everything escalated post-retirement. She developed skin problems with her legs, had several blood clot incidents in her veins and most recently has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.

Mom is stubborn, she wished to travel in her retirement and now she won't even take a day trip because her mobility is really limited...I want her to visit the Dominican Republic with me to meet our extended family and good friends I've made on my trips and she WILL NOT go.

My father, on the other hand is in great shape but I know that any of these issues my mother has could affect me...I know we all can't up and leave at a moment's notice, but I wouldn't be happy if I didn't at least try...I read Bob's story and I'm happy that he had dreams, and it has inspired me to make mine come true!

Thanks for sharing!
I just came from his house and I could count with 1 hand how many friends he had. The majority of people there were co-workers from his previous jobs. There were a lot of co-workers but just a few true friends.

His ex-wife is the one taking care of everything. She was also his best friend. They were married for just 2 years but became the best of friends. She was basically the only person he "hanged" with. They spent at least one day a week together. The man truly looked forward for that day.

To my surprise, she told me that all he talked about was visiting the DR and dreaming of moving over there. She mentioned that he told her that he wanted her to go with him in one of his visits. She also said that he would show her DR1 forums but mainly the real estate links and how happy he would get when he saw a nice house selling so cheap. She mentioned that at night, whenever he was not busy, he would log in to DR1 and just read and read.

nikke:

I gather your mom is not Dominican. It will be next to impossible to have a non-Dominican visit the DR when they are as sick as your mom. MOST sick people would rather stay home. All you can do is to keep on trying for her to go with you.

When it comes to my mom, I only have one regret, that she died before living in the house I got for he. She did liked to travel and we did sent her to many countries on vacation, including the DR and Puerto Rico a few times a year to visit her family and friends.

Btw nikke, begging is not a bad idea. It works sometimes.

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
Miguel, it seem that several important lessons can be gleaned from your story........one of which is that our material possessions mean very little unless we are sharing them with someone. Thanks for sharing.

G

gary short

Great post, that, should motivate a lot of people who are fence sitters to go for it, whatever 'it' is. And to go for it NOW............

...and that's why I'll be there in the DR in October AND November!!! ;)[/QUOTE]

I'll trump ya I'll be there nov-march.....haha

Miguel what a truely sad story about a lonely man. You gave him a hobby that he could focus on and fantasize about. For some that's good enough. Pat yourself on the back.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
I hear you!

Sorry to hear about that, Miguel but how about yourself, when you're retiring overthere..
Thanks LOPTKA.

Tony:

Well, I even if I am "95", I feel 44 so I am not that old.

I have been "planning" my move for quite some time. I know for a fact that the DR is were I will retire to but for now, I am not ready mentally.

To be honest with you, I have to get used to the Dominican every day life. While on vacation over there, there are times that I don't want to come back to the US but there are also times when I can not wait to leave the DR. Actually, there have been times I have cut my vacation short because I could not stand it anymore.

I have to take time and visit a few times for more than just a few days. But I can't do that just yet because of my responsabilities. After I sell the house and take care of everything I need to take care of, then I will think about moving. One thing at a time. I have said before that there's not rush since I am not that old. There are also MUCHO other countries I want to travel to before relocating.

I am taking my time because I know that when I do take that step, I will not look back. Hey, a childhood friend of mine "planned" for about 25 years and is now living " a king's life" in the DR. And he is only "95", or is it 44?.

Btw, thanks.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Miguel te acompano en tus sentimientos. Que descanse en paz tu amigo. Cuidate.