Anybody know whats happening in the barrios of Boca Chica?

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
I have family and friends who live out there, I am talking about across the main highway going back towards the baseball field. Down that road that heads away from downtown, gas station and Burger King at the corner. I heard there has been some kind of police/army clash with the people. The police crashing houses and uprooting many of the people who live there. Any info would be appreciated???

Everett

Jun 8, 2006
Are you referring to Andres, Boca Chica? or do you mean the area directly across the autopista from the Buger King?
Either locale: I have heard nothing from any Dominicanos or expats whom I know to live there.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
PN and the guys from SWAT used to recover land in Monte Adentro, obviously upsetting a lot of people in the area. Classic land dispute.

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
Thanks

That is what I thought it must have been, somebody deciding to clear there land of squatters. Thanks for the info.

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
Yes Everett I was talking about the land directly across from Burger King in BC, about 2 miles down that road is where I heard there has been some problems.

vera

May 23, 2006
I saw in the news, how some residents of BC, cut some guy hand for stealing, the guy eventually died in front of dozens of people just looking at him while he was losing large amounts of blood. Apparently people in BC got fed up with robberies in the area.

Everett

Jun 8, 2006
THT - you say there was a land squatter action and people were made to leave?
Is this in an area near the garbage pits where a lot of Haitianos lived?
I too have friends in that area but have been unable to contact them lately by telephone - they live several blocks above Las Americas just up from the BK and some also in the area known as "Miamicito". Local corner colmado is "D'William'.
Any further information would be helpful.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Driving from Santo Domingo turn left by the gas station, just keep going through the barrio, the area is open land on the right hand side of the road, the nearest Colmado is Punto Final. Most just shacks but also some "real" houses coming up. If you keep going further you will cross the railroad just before the finca and then there's the base ball center.

Everett

Jun 8, 2006
The area closer to the autoposta is also known as La Caleta, que non?
I think I saw somthing in the paper about a PN sweep through there maybe looking for guns?
Any more info.?
THT - I think I know the area of which you write. Somewhere around there too is a cockfighting arena as I recall.

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
I think the "La Caleta" is located more in the area across from the airport. I could be wrong though. That is where I always thought it was anyway.

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
Yes, tht, that is exactly where I heard it happened. Before the long trek to the farm, railroad tracks, and baseball field. Last area of living before it becomes very much barren.