dominican residency - is it true......

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
i've been traveling back and forth from DR to the US for many many years and i've never found a need to obtain residency in DR.
in reading thru the forum, which i think is GREAT, i have found little information about what would be my main motivation for obtaining residency - importing household items w/o duty. i know that according to what is "written" as a dominican resident, you would have special benefits when important regular household goods duty free, but my question is "has anyone on this board, who has obtained a dominican residency, ever been able to bring anything into the DR duty free?" i'm talking about shipping something into the port (muelle). i know various persons who have residency, but no one has ever succesfully been able to use this benefit. has anyone here done it? is it real or just another tall tale? your responses are appreciated.

B

batich

i've been traveling back and forth from DR to the US for many many years and i've never found a need to obtain residency in DR.
in reading thru the forum, which i think is GREAT, i have found little information about what would be my main motivation for obtaining residency - importing household items w/o duty. i know that according to what is "written" as a dominican resident, you would have special benefits when important regular household goods duty free, but my question is "has anyone on this board, who has obtained a dominican residency, ever been able to bring anything into the DR duty free?" i'm talking about shipping something into the port (muelle). i know various persons who have residency, but no one has ever succesfully been able to use this benefit. has anyone here done it? is it real or just another tall tale? your responses are appreciated.

I am not aware of any successful story so far...

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
that's what i'm afraid of, but deap down inside, i'm hoping someone will tell us different.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
This is one for urban legends

I have never heard of it to be an easy task, thats my 17 years living here!
I stand to be corrected?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I think if you check the archives on this subject you will find a number of people who claim to have got things in without 'Import duty'! As Gringo has suggested though, FEW have found it to be an easy task & most have wished they had not started the process.

Instead of 'Import Duty' (which will disappear shortly when DR-CAFTA starts - won't it????) other 'TAXES' start to appear. The local VAT on electrical goods is one but then also comes the "My Mother needs an operation Tax", the "My son's University Fees" tax & perhaps the most common "Today is my Birthday" tax. The "Have you a propina for me" tax gets a fairly regular airing too.

Residencia should be seen as a legal requirement, something which has been passed through Congress & Senate & accepted by the Legislators. Anyone who remains in the country for more than two months (yes I KNOW the law states anyone here for more than 15 days should become legalised) should become a legal resident - as they would in USA, Canada, European countries etc. It is a matter of being respectful to the laws of the country you are residing in!

If you own a home in the DR - Get Residencia
If you spend 3 months at a time in the DR - Get Residencia
If you want a peaceful existence in the DR - Get Residencia
If you want to open a bank account in the DR - Get Residencia
If you want to avoid exit fees at airports - Get Residencia
If you want to be LEGAL in the DR - GET RESIDENCIA!!!

With current & up-to-date cedula & Residencia cards, you will find certain official documentation will be completed easier (& quicker). There are many advantages in the legal proceedings field for having Residencia too, but I will leave you to read about these if/when you need to know them! ~ Grahame.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Instead of 'Import Duty' (which will disappear shortly when DR-CAFTA starts - won't it????) other 'TAXES' start to appear. The local VAT on electrical goods is one but then also comes the "My Mother needs an operation Tax", the "My son's University Fees" tax & perhaps the most common "Today is my Birthday" tax. The "Have you a propina for me" tax gets a fairly regular airing too.

You forgot the BOHICA (pronounced bo hecca) tax. It means bend over here it comes again. Overall some good advice on when and why to get your cedula.

Bob K

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003

Now that's funny, and unfortunately I suspect accurate!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In theory, A recently arrived resident is allowed to bring household goods and a vehicle, in to the DR with a minimum of hassle.
I would suggest that you get in contact with one of the Dominican run door to door movers that are really experts at this sort of thing.
Here are two examples you might contact:
Cibao Cargo
718 681 9464
1345 Cromwell
Bronx, NYC, NY 10452

Mateo Shipping
718 537 1382
1441 Ogden Ave
(Between 170st St & University Ave)
Bronx, NYC
NY 10452

It can't hurt but to call them and find out.

HB

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
I think if you check the archives on this subject you will find a number of people who claim to have got things in without 'Import duty'! As Gringo has suggested though, FEW have found it to be an easy task & most have wished they had not started the process.

Residencia should be seen as a legal requirement, something which has been passed through Congress & Senate & accepted by the Legislators. Anyone who remains in the country for more than two months (yes I KNOW the law states anyone here for more than 15 days should become legalised) should become a legal resident - as they would in USA, Canada, European countries etc. It is a matter of being respectful to the laws of the country you are residing in!

If you own a home in the DR - Get Residencia
If you spend 3 months at a time in the DR - Get Residencia
If you want a peaceful existence in the DR - Get Residencia
If you want to open a bank account in the DR - Get Residencia
If you want to avoid exit fees at airports - Get Residencia
If you want to be LEGAL in the DR - GET RESIDENCIA!!!

With current & up-to-date cedula & Residencia cards, you will find certain official documentation will be completed easier (& quicker). There are many advantages in the legal proceedings field for having Residencia too, but I will leave you to read about these if/when you need to know them! ~ Grahame.

thanks for taking the time to post. i really appreciate your candidness. ;)
i have shipped items to DR from the us many many times and it seems it's much easier just to pay the flat fee to the shipper and have it delivered to my door in DR. I just had a 1 year old fridge, washer, and dryer shipped door to door form MIA to POP for US$400. i don't feel like i got ripped off and i liked the peace of mind of knowing it will arrive at my door and i don't have to deal with the people over at the pier. (i would have paid double just to have a large capacity dryer in DR :bunny: )
frankly, i just don't believe in the system, but i love the country so i have to deal with it.

just like with insurance, i think it's great to have it, would never dream of not having it in the US, but in DR i can't find one person to tell me that they have ever had a claim paid - so i stick to the minimun required.

as for the property, we already own property and didn't have a problem with the transaction, but i can see why it would be important to obtain anyway. i'd like to start my paperwork soon. thanks again for your time.