Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hurricanes

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores View Post
    See http://dr1.com/weather/hurricanes.shtml

If you check the list of hurricanes affecting the DR and where they hit, in about 100 years there is only Jeanne (cat 1) to hit Puerto Plata. So, Puerto Plata is definitely a good place to be, probability-wise. But, remember the weather is changing (probably why Puerto Plata was affected last year).
    For the record, Jeanne was cat 1 when it stalled over Samana but was a tropical storm with winds of 50-60 mph when it got to Sosua and Puerto Plata.

I agree with James and have also been here 20 years.

I love Rocky's Ribs!
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Hurricanes

Wow, talk about inconsistant responses! After reading, maybe the agent spoke of Sosua/Cabarete when he made the statement. Trust me, it wasn't a sales pitch, the sale was done way prior to his comment and he seemed totally sincere. Dolores, I think you are the most accurate. Bottom line is, way more chance of a hurricane in the south.
    Steve

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Never say never

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Costa Azul View Post
    I was informed by real estate agent in Sosua that there has NEVER been a confirmed hurricane that has made it to the north coast in history!
    If true, seems a no brainer to prefer the north coast. Anyone beg to differ?
    Steve

What is accurate? Your post or our first hand experiences. You posted that there has NEVER been a confirmed hurricane that has made it to the north coast in history. Please excuse me for posting these questions and please correct me if I may be wrong. What was Hurricane Georges and where did it go? Perhaps it was a tropical storm by the time Hispaniola ravaged it, maybe it was still a hurricane. If that is the case and Georges was only a TS then please allow me to ask you again. What was Hurricane Jeanne and where did that one go?

Samana is on the north coast or at least I thought it was. This thread might have changed the georgraphy of the entire island.

I will tend to agree with the obvious that yes, the north coast is far safer reagrding hurricanes. However, with what Jeanne has already proven, things might have changed. It certainly discredits your friend's claim that a hurricane has never been confirmed to have made it to the north coast.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Costa Azul View Post
    Bottom line is, way more chance of a hurricane in the south.
    Steve
    If what has happened in the past foretells the future, no doubt about it.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Hurricane Jeanne in 2004 was at tropical storm strength when it got to Sosua. When it passed Cabrera and Nagua, it was reducing from a Hurricane, to a tropical storm. Be sure, there is only 1 mile an hour difference - not much in my view. Jeanne stayed strong for far longer than what I expected the storm to stay strong.

Ths is not so for for Hurricane David in 1979. Look it up http://www.wakeupbarbara.com/david.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurrica...nican_Republic
    http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/refpag...vid&Submit2=Go

Hurricane David caused damage on the North Coast.

The most authoritative hurricane database on hurricanes in the Caribbean, is stormcarib. Have a look at it. At least 9 hurricanes passed over OR within 100 miles of the North Coast from the time that statistics were kept.
    http://stormcarib.com/climatology/MDPP_dec_isl.htm

I guess it it fair to say that the North Coast is not hurricane prone, as New Orleans is not hurricane prone. People, we live in a hurricane belt. Hurricanes are possible anywhere. The specific geography of the North Coast does not lend itself to hurricanes hitting land hard. But it is completely within the realm of possibility. We also live in a period where weather patterns are changing.

Best not to panic, but not to mislead anyone, and to be prepared on the North Coast.

batich

Just a week ago after a tropical storm the most expensive area (Westchester County) of the most expensive and developed metropolitan area (New York) of the most developed country in the world did not have: electricity, water, gas, telephone, internet,refrigerators,home alarm/security systems, showers etc for six days.

Did it ever happen like this in DR? In North Cost?
    No.

So, do not bother yourself much and enjoy your beautiful life without traffic jams, huge taxes, tickets here and there and astronomical bills. You are in the place that is as much close to paradise as possible in our current life.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Hurricane expert

When I worked for DR1, I wrote an article on hurricanes http://www.dr1.com/articles/hurricanes.shtml

Read that and you will learn everything you need to know...

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up NOT RIGHT> I WILL EXPLAIN and I am not real-estate

Quote Originally Posted by DominicanScotty View Post
    1998 Hurricane Georges...? I was there. Roofs were blowing off and there was martial law. Many people died those few days. Are you trying to buy real estate? This agent also sells land off the northcoast. No hurricanes at the bottom of the ocean but there is land down there somewhere. *Sigh*
    Now yes hurricanes have hit the DR as a country, but the North Coast by Sousa itself has never been hit, Only very strong winds or tropical storms. I have lived in the Country for 45 yrs.

EXAMPLE: if a hurricane for example comes in by the Caribbean side, the Very large mountains block Sousa and Puerto Plata. and it bounces off and goes back out to sea.
    Now if the hurricane comes on the Punta Cana side like Maria just did, The VERY HIGH MOUNTIANS IN LAS TERRENAS and SAMANA Also block the Sousa and Puerto Plata sides.

So it is true that parts of the island have never in history been hit. Yes Haiti got Matthew last yr, but it also took the brunt as it also has Very Large mountains.

Recently Maria passed by and we only had high winds but the mountains kept us safe. Just a few signs blew off and other wise we had not damage in Sousa. As the last 2 as in Irma and Maria went to the Atlantic side they got sucked North by the shallow warm waters of the Turks and Caicos and Bahamas and Florida.

So knowing this North Coast so very well and love living here, I can safely say, We have never been hit by a Hurricane due to the mountains. So if you do want to buy in the DR. Stick with Sousa and close to Puerto Plata.

9. Likes Heather Byle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Live in Sosua View Post
    Now yes hurricanes have hit the DR as a country, but the North Coast by Sousa itself has never been hit, Only very strong winds or tropical storms. I have lived in the Country for 45 yrs.

EXAMPLE: if a hurricane for example comes in by the Caribbean side, the Very large mountains block Sousa and Puerto Plata. and it bounces off and goes back out to sea.
    Now if the hurricane comes on the Punta Cana side like Maria just did, The VERY HIGH MOUNTIANS IN LAS TERRENAS and SAMANA Also block the Sousa and Puerto Plata sides.

So it is true that parts of the island have never in history been hit. Yes Haiti got Matthew last yr, but it also took the brunt as it also has Very Large mountains.

Recently Maria passed by and we only had high winds but the mountains kept us safe. Just a few signs blew off and other wise we had not damage in Sousa. As the last 2 as in Irma and Maria went to the Atlantic side they got sucked North by the shallow warm waters of the Turks and Caicos and Bahamas and Florida.

So knowing this North Coast so very well and love living here, I can safely say, We have never been hit by a Hurricane due to the mountains. So if you do want to buy in the DR. Stick with Sousa and close to Puerto Plata.
    Also this is why on the Caribbean side such as Boca Chica & Juan Dolio they have hurricane shutters on the homes and windows. But the North Coast as of Sousa has never had a serious need for them. Trust me I have done intensive research on this and this is why I brought my family form Canada yeas ago and moved here. Sousa is the most safe place to live regarding hurricanes in the entire DR as a country and most of the North Coast is due to the Large Mountains that keep us safe and Now would be the time to buy if you love the islands, as most get hit. Real-estate is still very cheap and soon will go way up for this reason.
    I love the warm weather and not moving any time soon. Here to stay.

11. Likes Heather Byle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lambada View Post
    Yep we were here for Georges, too. Nowhere near as bad as the south got it, but enough to loosen a zinc sheet on roof (Bushbaby repaired at expense of his thumb wind strong enough for me to need to hold ladder). Hortense in '96 didn't get to PP, turned right at Samana, David in '79 effected north coast. I think it has been about 9 hurricanes impacting north coast in total. Also Jeanne in 2004 although TS level by the time it got to us. This is all off the top of my head so dates/names may be wrong, but DO check.
    Your right, Just bad winds and nothing serious.

13. Likes Heather Byle liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast