First names

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
anyone know why the f*ck the last two presidents are usually called by their first names?
balaguer was 'balaguer', guzman was 'antonio guzman', trujillo was '....honourable.....highness....rafael....leonidas.....trujillo....sir, etc., etc.' and bosch was 'bosch'.
some of them may well have been referred to by their initials, but not their first names.

if you started calling other world premiers by their first names it would immediately conjure up images of hugo and george at it with their handbags, ...............and tony skipping about in a pink tutu.

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
I noticed that trend started w/ Leonel. I think it's because Balaguer, Bosch, Trujillo are generally rare last names. This is not the case with Leonel Fernandez. Then came Hipolito--I guess his first name is less common as a first name than his last name (Mejia) as a last name. And now ofcourse we're back to Leonel.

That's just my guess.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A populist thing, perhaps?

Although I agree, Balaguer was never ever known as "Joaquín", I've heard people referring to Bosch and Guzmán as "Don Juan" and "Don Antonio" respectively.

I think Hugo and Hippo would look better in pink tutus.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think Chirimoya has this. Nobody confuses "don Juan" or "don Antonio" with any other political figures. Leonel will never become "don" nor will Hipólito...

HB