Hepititas A vaccine required?

V

val

We will be visiting Playa Dorada and Puerto Plata areas in Feb. I can hardly wait! Some people have said we should have a Hepititas A vaccine before we go. Others say not to worry. Does anyone really know if it necessary if we are in the resort area and in town? What about if we take a jeep safari trip offerred through the resorts? Help, I don't want a shot unless it is really necessary!!

Val.

S

Susanne

I suggest you ask your house doctor as he knows you best.

BUT - the general recommendation is to take the Hepatitis A shot. Even if you stay in a nice resort where the risk of catching it is low, you will be missing a lot if you don't see other parts of the country. Hepatitis A is not as dangerous as other forms of Hepatitis but contrary to those it spreads far more easily - not only through body fluids but through food, water etc.

You can ask for at least two different vaccinations: the quickest is with immune globulin (treated blood plasma). Side effects on this one are rare and the shot hardly hurts. This will only last about three-five months though. So if you foresee going abroad again in a not too far away future, there are other vaccinations that will protect you longer. Again, ask your own doctor.

For more information on Hepatitis A and other health precautions, check the homepage of Centers for Disease Control. You can follow the links below.

Regards, Susanne

A

Alexandra

In Holland we say: It's better to prevent, than to cure". I have travelled to the DR twice and got different shots. It doesn't hurt that much and although it might cost you a little bit, it will cost you more if you do get sick!

So you better be sure and get the shots, that way you won't get in trouble!

Alexandra