Gay travellers in DR

soccersupastarr

Sep 14, 2006
Hey all,
My girlfriend & I are travelling to DR from USA in October and I just wondered if anyone could offer insight into safety/ hassles? We are VERY discreet, as in
when we travel we act like friends so many people probably wouldn't know we are a couple. On other trips, we were told it was best to be discreet (and safest). Waht's the situation for gay community in DR? Locals? Travellers?
Hotels wouldn't discriminate if they figured it out would they?
I appreciate the insight.

Pearl1

Aug 29, 2005
I have 3 gay couples who are my neighbors that have lived and worked in Sosua for many years. They have never mentioned to me that they have had hassles.Sorry can't comment on the hotels. I'll ask them next week when I see them what their insite to your question is.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'm sure this isn't news to you, but I'll say it anyway.
Those who are uptight about it, are uptight about men together.
Every man dreams about seeing two women together, and do not get homophobic it.
I'm sure you will have no problems whatsoever.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
you would be surprised at the amount of b-sexual women i have encountered in DR - incredible!!! men on the other hand is another story. the macho culture cannot deal with gay men, but they are very open to gay women - i guess b/c deep down inside they are sooo stupid they think they are going to hook up with the ladies and have a 3 for all!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
you would be surprised at the amount of b-sexual women i have encountered in DR - incredible!!! men on the other hand is another story. the macho culture cannot deal with gay men, but they are very open to gay women - i guess b/c deep down inside they are sooo stupid they think they are going to hook up with the ladies and have a 3 for all!

Briefly: there are TONS of bi and gay guys in the DR. They are just not openly so.

I remember a girl owned place near sosusa...i will look tomorrow and PM with the link if i find it.

JHT

Mar 30, 2004
I am also gay and have been to the DR 8 times in the last 7 years. I will say that if you appear to be a "butch" female or a "effeminate" gay male then you may have the Policia Nacional stop you and threaten you with jail unless you give them money. I am neither but I have been with American friends who are "light on their feet" and a little bit out there when they are walking in the streets and therefore were stopped and threatened and blackmailed for money. Believe me the Policia Nacional (National Police) in the DR are very corrupt. I have traveled to 97 countries and the DR police force is the worst. If you and your girlfriend are looking for a very gay friendly hotel where even some of the employees are gay and can feel very comfortable and welcome you can try the Hodelpa Caribe Colonial. It is a beautiful art-deco style hotel that will make you feel like you are in Miami at one of the nicest hotels on Atlantic Drive in South Beach. Everyone from the manager of the hotel to the maids who clean the rooms were very nice and I would never want to stay anywhere else but there. Also I hear there is a new lesbian gay bar in the Colonial Zone. I do not know the name but if you pass by Pacos Restaurant and outdoor cafe across the street from the Plaza Independencia in Santo Domingo you should be able to ask any of the ex-pats who hang around there and live in Santo Domingo as to where it is located. I am not sure where you will be staying because I did not see it in your posting but I thought I would share the information I recieved this week about the new lesbian gay bar.

soccersupastarr

Sep 14, 2006
Gays in DR

I am also gay and have been to the DR 8 times in the last 7 years. I will say that if you appear to be a "butch" female or a "effeminate" gay male then you may have the Policia Nacional stop you and threaten you with jail unless you give them money.

This is pretty intense. What would the "charge" be? Is it illegal to be gay in the DR? So far I have found the responses to my query (no pun intended) positive and the fact that there even exists "gay hotels" obviously means it not as hidden as many countries. Discreet is always good in my books anyhow.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
First Time I Ever Heard That.."Policia National" Story!!

Sounds like an "Urban Legend" to me!!

My wife is a Dominican "Lipstick Lesbian" and seems to have no trouble here in the DR!! Not with the "Policia National" or getting all the women she wants!! She would make me gealous, but most of her "Les-Be-Friends" are more "Macho" than I am! Wait a minute,maybe I'm not as "Macho" as I think !!!
"Ya Think?????"
:cheeky: :cry: :cry: :cry:

"Ask me about a "Misa Negra" when you get here!!!!:rolleyes: :classic:

Cris Colon,...
"Bad To The BONE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I think "discrete" is a good word to use. I am gay..but not a flamboyant queen...but i am pretty much open...and i have not had a problem in the DR.

no..i dont recommend walking down the street holding hands as a girl--girl couple....but if you just go about your business...there will be no problem. Just dont expect rainbow flags etc. I cant really comment on the girl scene there.....but there is a very active guy scene going on....and NOT just sankies.

I promise to look for that girl-frieldly hotel for you tomorrow...pm me if i dont post.