Permanenet Resident Fee Question

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
I have a couple of questions for those who have already gone through the Immigration process and have their loved ones with them in their country....(Canada specifically)

When paying the Permanent Residence fee, is it recommended to pay it ALL upfront, or wait until the end when the visa is about to be issued?

For myself, I paid everything up front. However, a friend has waited, and only paid the application processing fee, she is waiting on paying the Permenant Resideance fee, until the papers were approved.

2 questions.....

1. Will this make ANY difference on the processing of the papers?

and

2. IF my friend was to pay this fee NOW before the papers are completed, is there a chance that it could get "lost" in the shuffle, or delay the papers even longer?

Muchas gracias!
lisa

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Pay it when they ask for it.

You get a numbered receipt so not to worry about it getting lost. This government is very cautious about collecting money. And they are good at it!!

HB

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I agree, it should be paid for at the beginning. Now that Harper reduced PR fees, it should be a little easier to handle. If they see in Haiti that the PR card isn't paid for yet, they may decide to not make the file a priority. From what I have seen, they will use any excuse they can get not to do their jobs.

castro

Jul 5, 2007
They say in the application papers they send you, that you have the option to pay it all at once, or you can pay once they call you for the PR. But it also states that it could take two months longer if you don't pay all the fees at once. And if you don't get PR they refund your money, so you really have more to lose if you don't pay it all at one time.. You just will have to wait longer.

mona

Aug 19, 2005
Hi Castro

I just paid my permanent resident fee last week on line.
I decided to pay now in the middle of everything because I too was told I may have to wait longer.
I paid my fees on line at Welcome Page | Page d'accueil. Thay sent me an official receipt right away which I then mailed to C.P.C in Mississauga. I also forwarded a fax to Haiti just so they knew as soon as possible.
I don't believe paying now will delay things. I am hoping this helps speed things up. Well, here's hoping anyway!

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
We paid ours near the end of the process when they asked for it but by that time I developed a raport with one of the people working on our file and she was helping me. I think that the best idea is to pay it upfront and its one less thing to worry about. If you are in the process but haven't been asked to pay it yet, I'd pay it anyway and forward the receipt to everyone who needs to see it.

castro

Jul 5, 2007
Hi Mona

I don't see why this would be a problem!!!! It is better you hand it in now, rather when they ask for it later. So things don't slow it down. And you are one step ahead of the game !!!! But really who knows how these people work.
I'll I know is, it's really slow for my liking. I think I will sit back and wait, without out trying to contact them. Once I hit the nine months mark, then I'll start looking for some answers. Have you heard from them yet? How long ago did you put your application in?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Castro is right, pay it up front.
if somebody there decides on which applications he will start to work now he /she will always touch the paid ones first.
mine took only 3 months at all, but that's been long years back, don't know how long it takes today, but the above mentioned 9 months sound much too long to me.
Mike

castro

Jul 5, 2007
well from others who recently sponsored someone, it seems to be anywhere in the nine month mark. From reading the threads. And I believe, that's if everything is in order.

mona

Aug 19, 2005
Hi Castro

This is my timeline!

April 26,07 Married
May 11 Sent App to C.R.C
June 13 Approved as sponsor
July 25 In process

I have not heard anything more. However I did not realize until early September that his 2 children (whom we are not sponsoring until later ) needed medicals as well. My husband had the medicals done and sent to them Septmeber 13th.

Judging by the timelines posted here I do not believe these medicals will hold the process up, considering we are not sponsoring them right now.

The medicals and the fact that we only paid the permanent residence fees recently are the only 2 changes we have made to the application. I did call immigration here and they told me neither change should effect the processing times.

Last edited by a moderator:

mona

Aug 19, 2005
Wow, I actually received confirmation today by letter that my Permanent Residence Fee was received at the C.P.C in Mississauga today.
They also told me that the visa office has been notified that the applicable fees have now been paid.

A little light in this dark tunnel!

castro

Jul 5, 2007
Mona that's great news.... that's one thing less you have to worry about!!!! See how fast our offices over here responed back, now only if the Haiti office would do the same..