Jardin deportivo

Sep 15, 2006
Hi,
I will be going to the DR for the first time next summer and, I have decided to rent the villa, La Perla Negra. It is in Jardin Deportivo in Cabarate. The owner is very nice and helpful and, the place looks huge. I was concerned about the area at night though.I mean, I know when the sun goes down , it can be pitch black in some places. I don't know if there is a bustle of people along the way or if the area is quiet and desolate at night. I was told that it is safe over there but I'm always on guard regardless. I randomly called a hotel in Jardin Deportivo today and spoke to a gentleman who happens to be a friend of the owner. He works at Hotel Arcos and he gave me a great description of the area and the villa. I've been told that it is an old hotel that was renovated into a private property. Anyway, I am really more concerned about walking around at night. I don't want to rent cars because...it will be a problem. To say the least. They've told me that the beach is 4 mins away from the villa. So, we can walk along it to go to the middle of town to the nightlife. Though, would it be fair to say it is safe for a group of people to walk along the way in the wee hours of the monring? There will be like 15+ ppl in my group. I'm sure we are going to be stumbling back from partying at night and I've heard horror stories about the driving. So, I'm wondering if we should take taxi's to get around or would we better off walking on the beach? I drive here in Manhattan from time to time and am very agressive but I don't mess with driving when in the Caribbean. Whole different scene.
Also, if anyone is familiar with the area, I would like to hear your comments.
Thanks.