Impact of Alcohol Mandate

surfwatcher2006

Apr 19, 2006
I was in DR during August. President put out a manadate on serving of alcohol with limited hours. Has this changed? I was planning to open a business there, but seeing the impact during the 3 weeks I was there, was terrible for the tourism industry. I might have missed previous posts, so I apologize. Planning another trip 9/26, but reluctant if the mandate has not been retracted. Thanks

rainbow123

Jul 28, 2006
update please?

Is there anybody on the ground who has actually been out and about lately? Has the curfew fizzled out or will we all be tucked up by 1am?

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i am not in the DR at the moment but from what i hear people are just going out earlier and going home earlier. this is from e-mails i've been receiving from the DR....

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
I was in Punta Cana last week, we wanted to go for drinks at around 11:00, by the time we got organized to go, went to the bar, it was closed. The ownder was sitting outside at 12:00. We just went back to the resort. It was a Thursday evening. The streets were deserted.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
A couple major nightclubs in Santiago are out of business now and many of the rest are suffering.

My father in-law's little cafeteria is suffering. He says everyone is off the streets by 8 PM pretty much. I guess he used to get alot of people on their way to nightclubs wanting to get beered up at the lower street price and arrive at he club already "happy".

With the new measures in place everybody knows there's no party to get to so they just go to bed.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
In Puerto Plata it seems to be business as usual, just earlier. The local clubs get started a little earlier and seem to have the same size crowds during the week. However Friday and Saturday they seem to have bigger crowds then they used to. These clubs do not for the most part rely on tourists. Remember we don't have as much choice here as some of the other larger cities. And I am not commenting on the smaller corner locales, just the larger ones.

The bars in Playa Dorada are hurting for local business as the gates to the complex only let tourists and registered guests in after a certain time. So they have lost the later night local crowd. The tourists seem to still go out as they always did -within the complex! Right now tourism is slow so some of the tourist bars are hurting.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
so i wonder if i you can bring the party back to your hotel or hotel room ? ever since this new mandate stuff, i've been visiting costa rica...no curfew and legal prostitution !! they have some 24 hour bars...woowee !!!

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
i am not in the DR at the moment but from what i hear people are just going out earlier and going home earlier. this is from e-mails i've been receiving from the DR....

I am not in the DR either but hear this from my relatives and friends as well.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i will find out in 3 weeks..i will be in the sosua 10-14 Nov and i will give you the real scoop....

leeanna

Feb 22, 2004
Hi I have a small bar for the last 3 years, and our income has changed dramatically.Before,the bar covered all our living cost plus mucho mas,but now it's barely covering us and we are concidering other options.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
leeana, please tell us what area you are in? what kind of bar do you have?
Yeah, leeanna.
Is it one of those bars that sells beer and liquor?
Ok, ok, I couldn't help myself, Planner, it just sounded sooooo blonde.
I still love you, and will buy you your next plate of ribs, as long as you continue to allow me to rib (no pun intended) you about being blonde.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Ha ha ha Rocky.... you crack me up. Of course you can RIB me about being blonde...... The next plate is definately on you and I want the BIG order now.....

See you soon, and I think when I see you I will need to HURT you.....