Raw milk

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
This goes to the members on the island. Any of you drink raw milk. Not pasteurized or homoginized. I was reading about the good benefits of drinking raw milk, but in the states it is difficult to buy unless you live on a farm. In some states its illegal to to sell it. Does the same apply in the DR.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
A small place on Gustavo Mejia Ricart (Santo Domingo) east of Nunez I'm sure sells non-pasteurized milk.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I don't know about the legalities but the guys with the milk churns on the back of a pickup truck still deliver to homes in Puerto Plata. The milk is dished out using a plastic jug into the recipients containers. I assume the milk churns come straight from the farm but I have no idea if the milk has been subjected to any processes in advance of sale.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
From what I have read about raw milk is basically.... DONT drink it. T.B. can be transmitted, that is the reason for pasteurizing it. Canadian Bob.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dittodittodittoditto

Ditto ditto ditto

Only a fool would drink unprocessed milk in the Dominican Republic. The milk you see being sold off the back of a truck has been (A) Watered down a bit-but you do no know what kind of water) and (B) it is always boiled a good bit before consumption..Repeat->ALWAYS

HB

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Here in El Seybo most of the people can't afford to buy milk from the store. Because of that a lot of them buy their milk from people that own 2 or 3 cows and sell milk from their houses every day.

As Hillbilly said, "it is always boiled a good bit before consumption..Repeat->ALWAYS" and "Only a fool would drink unprocessed milk in the Dominican Republic".

Cows carry too much bacteria in their system that can be passed along in their milk. The animal husbandry that is practiced here in the DR in comparison to other countries would make me think twice about drinking raw milk here even after cooking it.

Rick

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have had a lot of "cooked" milk over the years. Usually in Mao, where I love to drink "Lechosa con leche" and I know the milk used is from the farm and then boiled a bit.

I am sure that you have too, since el Seybo is cattle country...

HB

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
From what I have read about raw milk is basically.... DONT drink it. T.B. can be transmitted, that is the reason for pasteurizing it. Canadian Bob.

Absolutely. Even worse than TB is the presence of Listeria bacteria. Although Listeria only causes about 5% of the food-borne infections in the US, it carries about a 20% mortality rate, accounting for about 50% of the "food poisoning" deaths. The majority is caused by consumption of unpasteurized milk or milk products. The mortality rate certainly would be higher in the DR based on the level of care available.