Concubine's Delight

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
I'm confused

Why is this woman considered a concubine?? Or is this some kind of slang term for common law wife?? If so, is there something wrong with people living together and not having a piece of paper to prove that they are together?? Just a question, so hopefully I don't get any smart alec responses. I read the article, but I was still a little sketchy on the situation.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Ah, dominicantoday, always good for a laugh!

"Concubina" means common-law wife and is commonly used in the DR. The English word "concubine" is archaic and as a rule is not found anywhere except the Bible, the Arabian Nights or Chinese cinema.

The exception to this rule is dominicantoday. They take it to new heights:

The process not only partly guarantees the future of two orphaned children, but also sets an important legal and social precedent whose impact recognizes the acquired rights of a woman who for years lives in concubine with a companion.

It?s estimated that in Dominican Republic 40% of the couples live in a state of concubine, underscoring the case?s legal ramifications.

If you insist on using this term, it should be "to live in (a state of) concubinage".

Not to mention this wicked slur on the poor woman's reputation with the following:

The Supreme Court sentence awarded damages to Fidelina Maria Suazo Duarte, finding Falconbridge liable for the death of her companion and 8 year concubine Bolivar Guerrero, father of her two children.

Or maybe we should notify the Guinness Book of Records?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
PS In English it only refers to a woman, in Spanish you can be a "concubina" or a "concubino".

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
The only thing missing from her being his wife, is a contract with the government (i.e. Marriage License). Big deal. She and THEIR kids deserve something after Falconbridge's driver decided to run over the guy with his truck.

So do the approx. 40% of couples living together without benefit of a government contract in the DR, should something happen to either parent of the children, whether death, taking off to live in a different country and neglecting to pay support for the concubine and kids, or finding a different hot chica to go live with.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Out of Wedlock

....The English word "concubine" is archaic and as a rule is not found anywhere except the Bible, the Arabian Nights or Chinese cinema.

... and in my "The Oxford Reference Dictionary". ;)
But all right, that's from 1986... :(
Obsolete?

I think it was just a slurry translation from the article in Spanish. There, the word 'concubina' isn't obsolete and also means concubinage.

m'frog

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Obsolete, no. Archaic - yes. In English, it is not a word that is in everyday use.

In Spanish, at least here in the DR, it is an accepted modern term.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
PS In English it only refers to a woman, in Spanish you can be a "concubina" or a "concubino".

Interesting, Cambridge Dictionaries Online only gives the female version concubina in Spanish (and translates it directly as concubine), not concubino. That might be because of the English usage of the term. But, the Real Academia's dictionary doesn't recognise 'concubino' either. A dominicanismo?

Last edited:

eztxb

Jul 17, 2006
concubino????

sounds like a good deal,,, beer and beach and no worries,,,:cheeky:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Ah, dominicantoday, always good for a laugh!

"Concubina" means common-law wife and is commonly used in the DR. The English word "concubine" is archaic and as a rule is not found anywhere except the Bible, the Arabian Nights or Chinese cinema.

The exception to this rule is dominicantoday. They take it to new heights:

If you insist on using this term, it should be "to live in (a state of) concubinage".

Not to mention this wicked slur on the poor woman's reputation with the following:

Or maybe we should notify the Guinness Book of Records?

Chiri, you are brilliant. I love your sense of humour (CDN sp)!

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Chiri, it's archaic in English because it's been replaced by "my baby's mama" or "my old lady" or "that &!%$* woman I live with! ". At least the spanish speaking folks have retained some couth in some areas. Concubine sounds much more elegant, doesn't it?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Chiri, you are brilliant. I love your sense of humour (CDN sp)!

In some long ago and far away lifetime, Chiri must have been a well-cared for concubine.... :laugh: I also seem to be beginning to really like the job description. The word does conjure up Arabian Nights type splendour and decadence.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It wasn't so long ago, Chris. Mr C and I were sorry to have to renounce our concubinage. If we had the same nationality and no visa or residency issues, we would never have bothered with marriage.

Together with a couple we are close to who went through the same process, we celebrate our former 'concubinato' with nostalgia.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
It's funny how the same word conjures up so many different images to different people. In all honesty, [to me] the word concubine paints a picture of a very old-fashioned woman, in a long black dress (belted at the waist), polka-dot headscarf, and maybe has a hint of a mustache. So in my mind, Chiri NEVER could've been a concubine! :classic: