Isla Saona Day Trip

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
I plan to be in SD in mid-October with a small group of friends and we want to take the day trip to Isla Saona. The trip looks like fun in the travel brochure: the tour company picks us up at 6:30 am, we head out to La Romana, take a catamaran to Isla Saona and return in the late afternoon. All foods and drinks included for US$75.00 each. My question is: Have any of you done this trip? Any recommendations on what to take besides the sun tan lotion? Things to watch out for? Inquiring minds want to know!! Thanks for any info!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i have always heard its a great trip..and its something that i always plan on doing....but the quote of $75 usd seems a bit high. I have always been quoted around 50--all included.

personaly...what i would like to do is spend a few days near the isla and hire a local to take me out there....but so far no one has ever answered just how to do that.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
personaly...what i would like to do is spend a few days near the isla and hire a local to take me out there....but so far no one has ever answered just how to do that.

That's how we did it, from Bayahibe. Stayed in a room rented by a local family, and got a nice young bloke with a boat to take us to the island for the day.;)

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Trip to Isla Saona Last Year

I took the trip from Boca Chica last year. Overall I had a good time but I think that had more to do with the company I was with than anything else. The trip out and back were pleasant in a comfortable and air conditioned bus. After a stop at the large tourist stop on the highway for cigars and souvineers, about 1/2 an hour, we arrived at the embarcation point. I was kind of shocked, after reading the brochure with pictures of an uncrowded tropical island, to arrive at Bayahibe and find 15-20 other large busses of people, mostly from AI's, also waiting in the parking lot to take the trip. So much for uncrowded. We were hearded around like the cattle that we were and quickly boarded the motorboat to the island. The trip out was very nice and included a stop for a swim, and they did insist on life jackets. The island itself was very scenic but pretty crowded with revelers. I was told that only a couple of dozen people actually live on the island. If you did not mind walking a bit, and being away from the food and drinks, you could find some seclusion. The food was OK though somewhat bland. The drink were limited to rum punch and Cuba Libres made with bargain basement rum and mixed in large plastic containers. and beer. They did not offer Presedente but instead had Bohemia and Quisqueya. It was a festive atmosphere with many "animation" like activities going on, including vollyball games. As everyone seemed to be at least somewhat pickled a good time seemed to be had by all. The trip back on the catamaran was just a continuation of the party, at least untill the outboard engine died. It seemed that none of the "crew" on board had the slightest clue as to how to troubleshoot or fix it. Their best attempt to remedy the situation involved kicking the engine, scratching thier heads and pouring more Cuba Libre's. After 45 minutes of this the suggestion was made to sail the boat in, as this was indeed a sail boat. It was then revealed that none of the crew had any clue how to operate a sailboat. Strictly "animation". The party continued through all of this with various discussions of swimming in ( SHARKS ??) or what we would do when we got to Portugal. Truth be known we were never in any distress as there are so many boats making this trip eventualy we would be "rescued". Our worst problem was a lack of a bathrooms and the dwindling supply of Cuba Libre's. Eventally the correct method of kicking the engine was discovered and with power restored we headed for port. I actually enjoyed the whole experiance and got to meet and converse with a group of very pretty girls from Quebec, by way of Juan Dolio. The trip back to Boca Chica was a blur of trafic jams in La Romana. All in all a very pleasant, though crowded, trip and well worth the $50 (?) I paid. The next time I may try the trip to Isla Catalina for snorkling and maybe a few less drunken tourists.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
That's how we did it, from Bayahibe. Stayed in a room rented by a local family, and got a nice young bloke with a boat to take us to the island for the day.;)

can you pm me some info on how you found the room. i looked at Bayahibe..and all i can find is big AI's around the area.

also..how much did the bloke with the boat cost (aprx)?

This is something that i very much have wanted to do...but piling on a bunch of boats with a bunch of other tourists doesnt sound like my kind of excursion.

I figure if we hire some guy with a boat..he can show us some really cool and isolated places. It looks like a big enough isla that we could find some place away from the hords of tourits.

puh-LEASE send me some info about where you stayed!!!! I have asked petteri and el candil...and he just points me to the usual Tour thing.

thanks!!!!!!:ninja:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We just turned up in Bayahibe late in the afternoon and asked around, and were directed to the places - rooms with bath that local families rent out. There were about eight of us and there was space for everyone. The room Mr C and I stayed in was quite basic but clean.

It was about four or five years ago so I don't have any contact details, and can't remember the prices. I vaguely remember that the people who rented out the room were related to a Dominican woman married to an Italian man who ran the small restaurant where we ate. The only thing I remember about the boat owner was that he was said to look like Pedro Martinez... We found him by asking around, or he may have found us because I think the boat owners accost newcomers, trying to get their custom.

Sorry I can't be more helpful... hopefully someone who has been there more recently will have more specific details.
Buen viaje!

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
To BPL888:
It seems that all in all you enjoyed the trip to Isla Saona. My question is: Did you go on a Saturday or Sunday? We are planning to go on a weekday, so we may avoid the tourist crowds on the weekends, besides October is not a great month for tourism on DR. What do you think? Colonial Tours quoted the US$75.00, but if we make it on our own to La Romana and return on our own to SD, they charge US$50.00 for the trip to Saona (with evrythinng included), but who wants to have to drive back to SD after a loong day of activities instead of relaxing on an air-conditioned bus? Thanks for narrating your experience!

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
More Info

Latinorican, To the best of recolection I took the trip on a Thursday in January so it was high season. I think the AI's offer these trips everyday so I'm not sure the day of the week will matter. On the other hand I think most AI's rent thier rooms Saturday to Saturday so most people would not be on an excursion on the day they are comming or going. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this. I did find the bus, especially the trip back, to be a good idea as they were generous with the Cuba Libre's. I think $75 is a bit high but if you are comming from the capital maybe not. I myself would rather not be navigating into the capital with darkness approaching and a buzz on. There are several differant companies that run this type of tour so shop around. There may be a link to some of them on the Boca Chica web site. (try Google).

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
ok...i guess the extra 25 from the capitol isnt TERRIBLE...you couldnt really take a guagua to BC in the morning as they tour leaves around 7am i think. So if you are traveling from SD it is worth the extra $$ for the ease of the transport....ya'll are on vacation after all..so whats an extra 25.

I cant see the difference between doing the trip weekday vs weekend as tourists are the only ones doing these AI tours..and for them its weekend 24/7.

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
Compare and contrast the options...

I have done two trips to Saona. While I loved the first excursion and it was enough to get me to go back, a bit of research led me to an even better one!

I have pictures of both days posted at http://community.webshots.com/user/kaki333

The first trip was using a speedboat and catamaran and was run with through a tour bought at an AI. We left Bayahibe at 10:30 a.m. and returned to Bayahibe at 4:30 p.m. Those pictures are at http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/489092643CrzWYX

The second trip was bought through Seavis in Bayahibe. We left Bayahibe at 8:30 a.m. and hit all of the stops of the day before or after the major tour companies so were alone at each spot (but one). This tour was a bit custom-made for me and cost $10 more than the Saona-Catalinita tour sold from their website at http://www.seavisbayahibe.com/excursions_bayahibe_saona_catalina.htm Pictures from that day are posted at http://travel.webshots.com/album/550135582VbyNRT

The catamaran tour which stops at the Piscina Natural and a short stop at a deep water snorkel site off the tip of Bayahibe doesn't offer all that much for snorkeling and if you went on this tour expecting a big day of snorkeling you could be sorely disappointed. A great day, but snorkeling isn't the focus.

I am looking at spending some time next spring at Villa Iguana in Bayahibe. They offer a room for all needs from a penthouse suite with private pool all the way down to a room with a only a fan. http://www.seavisbayahibe.com/Rooms_Accommodation_Bayahibe.htm The hosts at the Villa are also very knowledgeable about local fishermen and residents and have recommended a contact to me if I wanted the use of a boat. You can e-mail them from their site and ask for that info too.

I agree with the comment about weekday vs. weekend. There are 1000 passengers a day being processed to the islands out of the Bayahibe bay. Each and every day. AIs book starting whatever day of the week their contract with the tour operator is. I have booked for travel on a Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. In 2007 I travel on Mondays and Fridays. They don't turn over a whole hotel on Saturday, though it remains the busiest day.

Kaki

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I have done two trips to Saona. While I loved the first excursion and it was enough to get me to go back, a bit of research led me to an even better one!

I have pictures of both days posted at kaki333's photos and albums on webshots

The first trip was using a speedboat and catamaran and was run with through a tour bought at an AI. We left Bayahibe at 10:30 a.m. and returned to Bayahibe at 4:30 p.m. Those pictures are at Saona Island, Dominican Republic in beaches photos on webshots

The second trip was bought through Seavis in Bayahibe. We left Bayahibe at 8:30 a.m. and hit all of the stops of the day before or after the major tour companies so were alone at each spot (but one). This tour was a bit custom-made for me and cost $10 more than the Saona-Catalinita tour sold from their website at Island Excursions from Bayahibe, Dom.Rep. to Saona, Catalina and Catalinita Pictures from that day are posted at Snorkeling at Catalinita and the Piscina Natural, Dominican Republic in caribbean photos on webshots

The catamaran tour which stops at the Piscina Natural and a short stop at a deep water snorkel site off the tip of Bayahibe doesn't offer all that much for snorkeling and if you went on this tour expecting a big day of snorkeling you could be sorely disappointed. A great day, but snorkeling isn't the focus.

I am looking at spending some time next spring at Villa Iguana in Bayahibe. They offer a room for all needs from a penthouse suite with private pool all the way down to a room with a only a fan. Villa Iguana rooms accommondation and diving in Bayahibe nationalparc Dom.Rep. The hosts at the Villa are also very knowledgeable about local fishermen and residents and have recommended a contact to me if I wanted the use of a boat. You can e-mail them from their site and ask for that info too.

I agree with the comment about weekday vs. weekend. There are 1000 passengers a day being processed to the islands out of the Bayahibe bay. Each and every day. AIs book starting whatever day of the week their contract with the tour operator is. I have booked for travel on a Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. In 2007 I travel on Mondays and Fridays. They don't turn over a whole hotel on Saturday, though it remains the busiest day.

Kaki

Kaki - EXCELLENT INFORMATION AND GREAT PICTURES. Thank you so so much. I have found the information I needed as I want to make a day trip to Isla Saona and Catalina.

Would anyone know how long is the drive time from the capital to Bayahibe?

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
I have done the trip from SDQ to Bayahibe twice. 90 minutes with no stops. Add the requisite half hour to get to/from the city or your part of the city!

Kaki :classic:

Any questions? kaki.ulan@sasktel.net

vandee

Nov 26, 2003
we made the trip mid week and it was a good time. food was ok but we danced and just has a lot of fun. the cat worked out because we didn't get seasick which for us was a big thing because i almost always get sick. overall, we rated it worth while.

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
My thanks to all who contibuted with their ideas, advice, pictures, and suggestions. We will be taking the plunge in several weeks and expect to have a great time at Isla Saona! Thanks again! :cheeky:

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
My thanks to all who contibuted with their ideas, advice, pictures, and suggestions. We will be taking the plunge in several weeks and expect to have a great time at Isla Saona! Thanks again! :cheeky:

Please please pleassssssssseeeeeeeee don't forget to come back and give us a full detailed report of the experience.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
LatinoRican,

Did you make the trip? If so how was it???

Please tell us...

ElNegrote

Jul 31, 2007
My partner and I did the daytrip from Santo Domingo to Isla Saona via Bayahibe two years ago for my 40th birthday. We purchased a package from Caribe Tours right in Santo Domingo.

I agree with the suggestion about bringing snorkeling equipment, though I'm pretty sure they provide it. (It was a little small for me.)

The trip in the catamaran from Bayahibe to Isla Saona is a lot of rum-laced fun, and you swim and eat once you reach land. But don't get too soused or you won't be able to enjoy the snorkeling.

All in all a great adventure and I'm glad we did it.