traveller cheques

Status
Not open for further replies.

ann brown

Aug 25, 2002
Hi just wondering if you know which is easier to have with you cash or travellers cheques.Do the bank charge a fee for converting travellers cheques. Thanks Ann

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
I always use Travelers checks. You do need to show your passport if they don't know you. I've never been charged a fee, but I do use my bank or an exchange house. I still am nervous about bringing alot of cash.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've exchanged AMEX travelers checks in both Sosua and Santiago with no problem. But a friend with Visa travelers checks had a heck of a time-they didn't seem recognizable for some reason.

Cash is King. Consider using ATM's to get cash, too.

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Cash

I've exchanged AMEX travelers checks in both Sosua and Santiago with no problem. But a friend with Visa travelers checks had a heck of a time-they didn't seem recognizable for some reason.

Cash is King. Consider using ATM's to get cash, too.

we allways take cash

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
I allways used AMEX travelers checks, best way to go. If they get lost or stolen easy to replace not wise to take cash. I go to Sosua and change on street and a place next to Eddy's sport bar, same money back even if I had cash. Never had to used a passport at these places only at the bank.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Best to take both

Hi just wondering if you know which is easier to have with you cash or travellers cheques.Do the bank charge a fee for converting travellers cheques. Thanks Ann
All you need is your passport to convert travelers cheques - I've never paid a fee in POP area. Walking aroung with wads of cash is not safe.

ann brown

Aug 25, 2002
Thanks

Many thanks to all of you for your quick reply.Looking forward to another wonderful trip to the POP area.Thanks again Ann

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Cash

I haven't used traveller's cheques in the DR but cash is so easy...almost too easy...I wasn't keen on walking around with wads of cash so I used my bank card at the ATM a lot on my last trip and racked up a lot of ATM fees!

I found this thread useful and I'll take some traveller's cheques this time. Maybe it will be easier to manage my money too.

Chino moreno Jr.

Sep 12, 2006
What about Canadian credit cards?

Would CDN visa card have problems at ATM's? If we take VISA traveller's checks, perhaps this will be difficult to cash? We do not have AMEX cards.
Do most hotels take credit cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.