How bad is the drive from STI...Cabarete

Ismenie

Sep 14, 2006
Can any please provide some assistance. I am flying into Santiago and planning to drive into Cabarete. Please let me know the best way to handle this drive. I am beginning to worry based on some of the threads depicting the drive as horrible.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Ismenie,
Since your concern is based on what others have written, is it safe to assume you haven't been to DR or if you have are not very familiar with the country?

If that's the case, I'd suggest a taxi from Santiago to Cabarete this time. Roads are pretty good, but this would take some stress off you, let you enjoy the scenery, and pay attention to the route & decide if you want to attempt it next time around.

Earlier this year it cost me in the neighborhood of US$70 for either a van or car from Cabarete to Santiago. About the same it would cost you to rent a car for a day. Hire a driver this time, then you can rent your own car in Cabarete the morning after your arrival & you'll be no worse off financially :)
Actually, you could rent a day at a time if you won't need a car every day & even save some money. North coast driving is considerably easier & will give you a chance to get used to what pass for rules of the road.

Depending on where you're staying in Cabarete, they will likely be able to arrange for a driver to pick you up. Cheaper most likely & a pre-negotiated price. Probably better than picking a random driver on arrival in Santiago. PM if you like & I can give you the phone/e-mail of a dependable driver... he's the husband of a lady that runs one of the hotels in Cabarete.

By the way, I've driven the route literally 100's of times... the first few were white knuckle affairs.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I fully support the information posted by the previous two posters. With one exception: Her name is Rocío.....

HB...Julia Milena (2), PAPA HB (old!) and Rocío..one morning in September.
Julia is my son Marco's littlest, Rocío is a dear friend that was picking up Serena & Malik for an early flight...JSYK....

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I fully support the information posted by the previous two posters. With one exception: Her name is Roc?o.....

HB...Julia Milena (2), PAPA HB (old!) and Roc?o..one morning in September.
Julia is my son Marco's littlest, Roc?o is a dear friend that was picking up Serena & Malik for an early flight...JSYK....

Rocio and her husband seem so nice that sometimes I wish not to rent a car and have them drive me around.;) Over and over they are recommended. As soon as the opportunity arises with someone I know I will definately be recommending them.

Ismenie

Sep 14, 2006
A million thanks for your help...

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I will look into having someone drive us to Santiago instead of driving ourselves.