Pigs stink up a major Dominican airport

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
http://www.dominicantoday.com/app/article.aspx?id=17734

What did you expect? You built an airport on farm land. Duh!!!

I have experienced this before at the airport - the foul smell of pig $hit. I have an aunt that lives in Licey not too far from the airport. I rarely visit her because there is a pig farm right behind her house. She has had that house for over 50 years. I love her to death but that smell gets me sick and that's why I don't visit her as often.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Who's on the side of the Pigs????
Bob where are you???

btw:this problem seems to be increasing all over the DR (that stench. Pig farming is on the rise.

Sep 19, 2005
Who's on the side of the Pigs????
Bob where are you???

btw:this problem seems to be increasing all over the DR (that stench. Pig farming is on the rise.

you say you want a side of pig M.A.R.??????? ha ha ha

the pig prices are way down now.....we have 8 suckling pigs for sale and may just keep them till just before christmas, instead of selling them for 300 pesos less than the going price( thats each piglet)..if the price dont readjust, we will just eat a lot of pork!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha

may have to have a pig roast!

for some reason , maybe its the shear numbers of pigs, but we dont have a problem with the smell from our pigs like you can smell near the aiport somedays.....I like farm smells, reminds me of hunting sseason and asking thwe farmer for permission to hunt....but that smell near the airport reeeeeks......

the bigger problem with live stock is all the hatians stealing or killing the chickens in the area..........its like cats dissapearing in new york these days...you see all those missing cats posters on the telephone poles and you know there are coyotes in the area....in the DR missing chickens.....the hatians are moving in!

bob

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006

the pig prices are way down now.....we have 8 suckling pigs for sale and may just keep them till just before christmas, instead of selling them for 300 pesos less than the going price( thats each piglet)..if the price dont readjust, we will just eat a lot of pork!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha

for some reason , maybe its the shear numbers of pigs, but we dont have a problem with the smell from our pigs like you can smell near the aiport somedays.....I like farm smells, reminds me of hunting sseason and asking thwe farmer for permission to hunt....but that smell near the airport reeeeeks......

bob

Be there in December, the prices should go up, most everyone will be doing the traditional "puerco asao" (roast pig) for the holidays. You gonna make a ton of money, well I'm not sure about that but at least you'll make some pesos.

I like farm smells too, but NO pig smells for me. A few neighbors near my mom's house are raising pigs and they keep them near their house, the smell its unbearable, yikes!!!!

If I was there for the holidays I would buy a happy pig from you. :cheeky:

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003

the bigger problem with live stock is all the hatians stealing or killing the chickens in the area..........its like cats dissapearing in new york these days...you see all those missing cats posters on the telephone poles and you know there are coyotes in the area....in the DR missing chickens.....the hatians are moving in!

bob

Bob I'll be there in December. How much for a pig?

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
aircraft fuel

http://www.dominicantoday.com/app/article.aspx?id=17734

What did you expect? You built an airport on farm land. Duh!!!

I have experienced this before at the airport - the foul smell of pig $hit. I have an aunt that lives in Licey not too far from the airport. I rarely visit her because there is a pig farm right behind her house. She has had that house for over 50 years. I love her to death but that smell gets me sick and that's why I don't visit her as often.

I wonder if the pigs like the smell of the aircraft fuel ha ha

Sep 19, 2005
Alex, it depends on if we keep them for market till then. We might not if we can get a good price selling them now.( doesnt look good) and then it depends on their weight at the time of sale....but Ill give you the pig for half its market price....what ever that is.......last time they went about 40-50 kilos at 4.5 months, and the price was only around 45 pesos per kilo..... it may be lower now........I told my girl friend if she doesnt want to deal with the uncertainty of the market after taking care of them for 4 months she can sell now at what ever she gets....that way she doesnt have any work to deal with......but she MAY make more if she keeps them until market weight.....she hasnt decided yet......she has to learn the buisness of making decisions.... and the consequences of them afterwards.....

but if we have them when the holidays arrive, we will have a good deal for you......

you can sell the feet, ears and tounge to M.A.R.

I heard she loves them.......

bob

May 12, 2005
I'll be flying into Santiago on 10/1. I often fly into that airport and never recall any pig odors. I'll try and make sure my sense of smell is in top working order so I can investigate myself. I'll report back any findings. Bob, glad to see you back posting again.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Alex,

bob

Yes of course and I'll use those to make a sancocho for you guys.

I think Alex likes the feet with his mondongo. Now that's tasty, mmmm.
or better yet patica con yuca.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Why, why, why ???

bob
How can one leave the meat and eat that???

My theory is that eating that stuff started after some pot heads in Scotland finished off the haggis after some ganja ... it was either furniture or pigs' feet, ears, tongues, .... :)

Rafael Perez

Oct 21, 2007

bob
well, laurapausinifan, not only are the haitians moving in, but the gringos too!

Sep 19, 2005
well, laurapausinifan, not only are the haitians moving in, but the gringos too!

the gringos are stealing your chickens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! outrageous!!!!!!

you MUST put and end to that!!! deport them like they do hatians!!!! it is the ONLY SOLUTION!!!

bob

Rafael Perez

Oct 21, 2007
LOL!!! you misunderstood laurapausinifan, let me clarify, i was referring to the "moving in part" nothing about stealing chicken. heheh!

S

sokitoumi

piggypink.gif

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
I take the pig smell over a bad neighbor at least they stay on their side of the fence.
There always air condition. The noisy city is worse is almost impossible to live in peace. There nothing like Junior coming home at 2 or 3 AM and yelling mom toss me the keys , to start appreciating the farm areas. I hate the city, which by the way stink of human waste speciously down the block by Madre Maestra, where it floats out from the manhole, and Avenida 27 Febrero and the road that leads out to Puerto Plata.