gifts for DR kids/ teens?

soccersupastarr

Sep 14, 2006
I was wondering if it would be appropriate to bring sports items to give away in DR? MY soccer team wants to donate some brand new balls and a pump.
Would this be seen as crass? Are there other gifts/ donations that would be better? When I went to Cuba, I took items like feminine hygiene products, shampoos, diapers, aspirin (i.e. things that are hard to get there).
perhaps in the DR these items are easier to come by? I'd love to take soccer balls, but only if it is appropriate. Any suggestions? Perhaps an elementary school?
Thanks alot!

Pookey

Sep 11, 2006
donations

Hi Soccer. Is so nice that your soccer team would love to do this for the Dominican children. I don't think this is crass at all. I would suggest a school to donate to, that way all the children can enjoy it.

As for other items, the above items that you have posted are needed all the time. I work in the medical field so I always take Vitamins, Children's Advil, antibiotics etc., but try and manage to bring lots of little gifts for the maids as well as the waiters, garden staff and cleaning crews etc. They have family and children to. They very much enjoy tips but its more personal as well as a tip to give a gift near the end of your stay.

I try and think of gifts that aren't on any lists as I think sometimes the maids are overwhelmed with all the toothbrushes, hair elastics etc., but whatever you wish to bring they will surely enjoy and very much appreciate it.

Have a great vacation and God Bless.

Pookey :classic:

cuas

May 29, 2006
Why not clothes that the children are not wearing any more? It is the best gift. They do not care if they are used. You will see the children's happy face and you will see your soccer team happy faces. They will appreciate more what they have.
When I travel to DR I bring all my children's summer clothes that they outgrown. When I go back they tell me that the younger sibling is now using the clothes. It is the best gift and free.