Santiago to Jarabacoa through La Vega

Neil de CT

Jul 3, 2005
I think I have this mostly figured out from past posts and the Caribe Tours website, but there are still some remaining questions.

I want to travel from Santiago to Jarabacoa and on the return trip from Jarabacoa stop in La Vega for a bit before going back to Santiago. Caribe Tours should accommodate this itinerary and from what I can gather do so with the best combination of price and comfort (vs the more expensive private taxi choice and the slightly cheaper but less comfortable option of guaguas).

From what I can tell buses between Santiago and La Vega run frequently from early in the morning to sometime between 7pm and 8pm. It seems as though buses leave Jarabacoa 4 times per day: 7am, 10am, 1:30pm, 4:30pm.

What I can't determine is how frequently and at what times buses leave La Vega for Jarabacoa? Does anybody know?

Also do I need to buy separate tickets for each leg of the itinerary or do I purchase a single ticket from Santiago to Jarabacoa? Finally, do I need to make a reservation for a specific time or can a ticket serve to get me on any bus travelling the ticketed route?

As always, your help is much appreciated.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Tickets??? HAHAHA

Look, you go to the Parque de los Chachasis and get on one of the little minibuses, thaey let you off at the stop for buses going up the hill (some go directly up the hill, so youhave to ask)...

You go to the "parada" in Jarabacoa and catch a bus for La VEga.

Then you go to the parada and catch one for Santiago.

Not too complicated.

In the DR it is usually not all laid out and planned like you can do in Europe or the States. You go, you get a bus and you leave...

Tickets are only for the much more organized lines like Espinal AETRA Metro or Caribe Tours....

HB.....tickets...hehehe

Neil de CT

Jul 3, 2005
Follow-up on Santiago-La Vega-Jarabacoa Route

Tickets??? HAHAHA
Look, you go to the Parque de los Chachasis...
Parque de los Chachasis? In what part of which city?

Tickets are only for the much more organized lines like Espinal AETRA Metro or Caribe Tours....

HB.....tickets...hehehe
I thought I was clear in my post that I plan to take Caribe Tours. Are you saying that Caribe Tours does not sell tickets for its bus trips? Others on this board have referred to purchasing Caribe bus tickets. Unless I am misinterpreting your response, I would still like my questions about tickets answered.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Caribe Tour, like I said does sell ttickets....

However, If you are going to Jarabacoa from Santiago, you are not going to take Caribe Tours...

Parque de los Chachasis is at the top of Restauración Street. It is bounded by Juan Pablo Duarte, Restauración, Independencia and Sabana Larga...The buses to Jarabacoa are on Sabana Larga.

From what I gathered, you are going from Santiago to Jarabacoa, back to La Vega, and then back to Santiago....right?

It's easy, if somewhat unstructured...

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Our pleasure. PM me if you want me to help you at the Parque de los Chachasis. I've done it for Sunshine and Raine and another couple of folks. No problem.

HB